The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2001, 12:53 AM   #1
MilesTeg

I have been thinking about getting into reloading and have been researching the old threads. During my search, I see that people prefer manual indexing rather than auto. Why is that? What are the +'s and -'s to using an auto index? Also, what is a lock out die?
Old May 5, 2001, 01:34 PM   #2
Coolray

I have Lee turret presses both Manual and Auto Indexing.
I use the auto indexing for everything except decapping.
I do this because I have 2 presses. get the auto index style it only takes seconds to disconnect the auto index portion of the press. no negatives to the auto index you can load a round in 3 pulls if you hand prime first.
Old May 5, 2001, 01:44 PM   #3
blades67

Most of the auto-indexing presses are more expensive than the manual-indexing. Some folks prefer the manual-indexing because they feel it gives them more control (They're just control freaks!) and more opportunity to catch any mistakes. Others feel differently. Do some research, call Dillon at 1-800-223-4570 and talk to their techs.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old May 5, 2001, 02:01 PM   #4
dick w. holliday

My auto indexer is an RCBS piggyback which is mounted on a rockchucker. i recently updated the powder linkage to it is now case activated (If you've got a piggyback RCBS will give you a deal on the linkage). The pro is that it is fast and dependable-the con is that it will not load a casing any longer than a 223 because the index feature will start to turn the platform before a longer casing will come out of the dies. I have used it to load longer casings but in order to do it i had to disconnect the rotator stem and rotate it manually....

A lockout die is a die that goes in the station past the powder charging station. if the powder is missing from a casing it will lock up the station so that the machine will not rotate(i don't have one because all my stations are full of seaters and taper crimpers)it may even sense a double charge but i don't know...Dick
Old May 7, 2001, 12:48 PM   #5
Alleycat

Well I don't know about "people", but my preference is strongly for the auto-index. Harder to make a mistake, but harder to fix if you short-stroke for some reason.

Faster...lots.

Steve