The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1
johnlandbeckjr1

AMT .22 Automag Loose Slide

Anyone have thoughts as to how/if the slide on above can be tightened up: moves side to side enough you can hear it rattle when you shake the gun. I've do a bit of work on it: polished ramp; new firing pin/spring; new ejector; worked on magazines a bit; now feeds, shoots, and ejects consistently, and uses almost any .22 mag ammo(not just Winchester, as some have said). Am I able to fix this, or am I looking at a new slide? John
Old August 13, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Is the gun reasonably accurate?

If YES, you may be trying to fix something that doesn't really need fixing. (As long as the barrel, slide, and sights of stay together during at least the early part of the firing cycle, it isn't necessarily a problem that needs to be resolved.

For most semi-autos, barrel to slide fit is far more important than slide to frame fit -- and if you're having an accuracy problem, it may not be due to a loose slide.

There are ways to tighten the slide/frame fit that gunsmiths use when tuning 1911s thatt may be useful -- ranging from small inserts in the frame, to tightening the slide -- but you probably want a gunsmith to do the work. But if accuracy is already good, you might not be getting much value from any additional work.
Old August 13, 2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Guv

I am the original owner of a mid 80's vintage Automag II and it doesn't have the tightest slide to frame fit but shoots very well. As noted before, maybe if it shoots well better to leave as is.