The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 16, 2014, 06:09 PM   #1
rantingrelentlessly

Springfield M1A Loaded vs. Scout Squad

Very excited to finally be buying an M1A. The only thing left is to choose between the Loaded and the Scout Squad. This rifle will be primarily used for hunting whitetail and wild hogs in the Missouri Ozarks. Also for target shooting. Any info from shooters who have expierience with one or both of these rifles is greatly appreciated. Btw, dont try to sell me on another weapon, calibur etc. I have been wanting an M1A for years and an M1A I shall have. Thanks for any input.
Old July 16, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2
1stmar

I have an m1a scout and I love it. It's plenty accurate, 1.5-2" 5 shot groups with irons. Typically 1.5". I have a 2-7x scout scope but I rarely use it. I really enjoy the irons. It's extremely reliable, low recoil, the muzzle blast is minimal despite the break. The trigger is probably 3.5-4lbs, two stage. The weight and length are ideal IMO, I do not hunt, but if I did I'd want a carbine. Next to my mini g, it's my favorite gun to shoot. You'll love it. It's just a great gun.
Old July 16, 2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Vt.birdhunter

I own a loaded, buddy has the scout.

No comparison if you plan on hunting with it...Scout all the way.
Handles better in the field, points a lot quicker with the forward optic mount. Deer and hogs wont notice its less accurate.
Mount it up with the Burris or Leupold Scout scopes.
Old July 18, 2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Mobuck

Hey, I learned to use an M-14 in the Missouri Ozarks but it wasn't for hog hunting.
Personally, I see no use for the shortened versions. If you're going to carry a real rifle carry ALL of it. Strangling the .308 by using a short barrel is shameful.
Old July 18, 2014, 07:52 AM   #5
SR420

I love the 18" Bush/Scout/MK14. My first 3 M14 pattern rifles all had 18" barrels, and they were very accurate. Other than the look, the long iron sight radius advantage, and slight muzzle velocity boost, I see no reason to go with the traditional 22" length barrel if you will never shoot beyond 750 yards or so.

Also, US military forces have had excellent results from their 18" MK14 Mod 0, and MK14 Mod 1 EBRs over the past decade. The 18" is all that and a bag of chips, and it is battle proven.

My personal collection includes a 22" EBR with excellent iron sights, and a 16.25" EBR with optics and AR style flip up battle sights.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Dirty_Harry

I have a Standard model that I love. That being said, I wish I would have ordered the Scout model instead. I am thinking about trading. It pulls up quicker, an balances better. I really think it is a great do it all rifle.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 18, 2014, 10:45 AM   #7
NoirFan

I think the 18" barrel is the proper length that the M14 should have originally been made in. It balances right at the magazine and handles so much better than the longer version. You don't give up any velocity advantage at realistic combat ranges either, especially in the Vietnam jungle fighting where the M14 made its debut.
Old July 18, 2014, 11:50 AM   #8
marine6680

I would say the shorter scout to be better for hog hunting.

I have been eyeballing a scout myself.

Tags
.308 , m1a , springfield , whitetail hunting