The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 11, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1
5whiskey

Anyone thought of stockpiling lead?

So I tried to figure if I should put this in reloading, casting, or even the legal section but I figured the general discussion forum would suffice. There has been the "scare" rumor going around about Doe Run Lead Smelter and how it was supposed to end the manufacture of lead bullets in America. Turns out, that was hype and shouldn't effect any of us for the near future.

HOWEVER, there are already states and municipalities that have lead bullet bans and I could absolutely see this being used as a tactic to limit the availability of ammo for sale and use. The most notable example, of course, is California's bill AB711 which bans using lead ammo for hunting. Also the military is switching to "green bullets," and many media outlets have latched onto this fact. Some of this might be over-hyped, but I think we all recognize that there is a very large group in America that would LOVE to see every gun taken away from the average citizen. They will take any means and action necessary. I don't think anyone will require evidence of this fact to believe it, but some of the evidence can be found here... http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539625.

With this in mind, is anyone stockpiling lead to cast for projectiles later? I don't have the money to stockpile raw ammo. Shoot, I reload and I'm scraping the resources to stockpile components to make it through an extended ammo drought. I don't know that I'm dying to get into casting right now for a number of reasons, including time and work space confinements. However, I must admit that it makes sense to hold onto a few hundred pounds of scrap wheel weights and a mold just in case. While .06 a round is reasonable enough to keep me out of a new hobby for now (though if I shot more I may could justify it), I can stock up enough scrap lead to shoot for a long time for just a few hundred bucks. Has anyone else thought of this?
Old January 12, 2014, 12:12 AM   #2
mattL46

Somewhat.

My brother works at a car dealership. Hes a service manager. They do a decent amount of tire work. Every 6-8 months he brings me a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights. Which reminds me I need to ask him about the next one!
Old January 12, 2014, 01:27 AM   #3
sigcurious

I don't cast, but unless there are significant changes in a lot of other industries I couldn't see a need to stockpile lead, it will be available to those who want it. It's also very worthwhile to note, if there were true bans in place a stockpile would be pretty useless... That being said, lead is used in enough things to not really be an issue if some additional hurdles were placed to obtaining it. The chemistry behind recovering the lead from a dead car battery, for example, is simple enough for most people to understand and do safely.
Old January 12, 2014, 02:55 AM   #4
chris in va

We have hoarders here in KY. Guy at a gun store caught wind of the wheelweight ban three years ago and currently has 3500# sitting in his garage.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:06 AM   #5
5whiskey

Quote:
We have hoarders here in KY. Guy at a gun store caught wind of the wheelweight ban three years ago and currently has 3500# sitting in his garage.
See that's a lot of wheel weights. I would just be happy to have 300-400#. That would last me a few years, anyway.
Old January 12, 2014, 10:35 AM   #6
g.willikers

If things actually go that badly, having enough lead for personal loading requirement will probably be plenty.
Can't imagine ever needing tons of lead laying around, unless commercial bullet making becomes desirable.
Old January 12, 2014, 02:43 PM   #7
SocialAnarchist

I hope you guys stockpiling lead have it stored in safe containers because lead contamination is a costly mess to clean up and will get state and federal agencies involved with astronomical costs and fines.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:23 PM   #8
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I purchased a little over 1000 lbs of lead, mostly wheel weights, about twenty years ago. I still had more than half left this summer when I started to sell some of it off. I'm keep some, but I just don't shoot as much as I used to and what I have will last quite a while.

And i'm making a 1000% profit and everyone is happy.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:37 PM   #9
std7mag

I work in a tire shop.
Boss lets me keep the lead weights. I take them in buckets and coffee cans to local gun shops that have guys that cast bullets.

I don't charge them anything, and every now and then get a box of bullets from them.
Old January 13, 2014, 11:08 PM   #10
thallub

My son is a general contractor with lots of roofing jobs. i have a big pile of lead roof stacks.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:40 AM   #11
Jakobs Gunworks

Is anybody out there, who's casting their own bullets from tire weights, adding copping jacketing to the rounds?

Or does one become rather limited in what ammo they can cast/reload for, to guns that will commonly accept Lead Round Nose ammo?

I know I'm picking up lost tire wieghts..
Old January 14, 2014, 10:30 AM   #12
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Quote:
Is anybody out there, who's casting their own bullets from tire weights, adding copping jacketing to the rounds?

Or does one become rather limited in what ammo they can cast/reload for, to guns that will commonly accept Lead Round Nose ammo?

I cast lrn, swc and wadcutters for 45acp, 357, 44 and 9mm. I shoot them as is with no problems. I do buy jacketed bullets but my pistol shooting is 90/10% in favor of lead bullets.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:05 PM   #13
armoredman

Quote:
I hope you guys stockpiling lead have it stored in safe containers because lead contamination is a costly mess to clean up and will get state and federal agencies involved with astronomical costs and fines.
Leade, by itself sitting in my garage cannot harm one iota of the environment. Impossible. Even when in liquid form, the only person it could harm is me, if I'm clumsy enough to dump the pot on myself. This is why I wear a lot of safety gear, too.
But just stored, can't do a thing as long as it isn't introduced directly into the ground water.

Jakobs, sounds like you mean swaging. Bullet cores can be swaged into jackets, either pre made, or made yourself, but the equipment setup is VERY pricey, and the cost of pre made jackets makes me just stick with hard cast. One thing you can do with cast is put a gas check on it, sort of a copper bullet diaper that keeps the base solid when fired with a higher speed load.
Swaged and jacketed bullets require, IIRC, dead soft lead, and wheel weight, which is random alloy garbage lead, is not dead soft. Perfect for plinking bullets, use a lot of it myself, but not the same. SeaFab Metals in Casa Grande AZ sells bullet swaging lead wire specifically for swagers.

I'm not "stocking up", per se, but I do like to keep a couple of pounds floating around for when I get the urge to cast...might be doing that this afternoon.

Last edited by armoredman; January 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 02:44 PM   #14
Hal

Quote:
Leade, by itself sitting in my garage cannot harm one iota of the environment. Impossible. Even when in liquid form, the only person it could harm is me, if I'm clumsy enough to dump the pot on myself. This is why I wear a lot of safety gear, too.
But just stored, can't do a thing as long as it isn't introduced directly into the ground water.
Right or wrong that's only your opinion and/or view of the matter.

The EPA feels differently on the subject.
W/them, logic and reason don't apply - all that matters is how can they profit by bending the rules.

Lead is a "hot topic" right now - trust me. I'm a contractor and I deal with lead and lead abatement on a daily basis.

If you don't cross all your "T"'s and dot all your "I"'s exactly how the EPA wants you to, you're screwed.

Believe me - I agree w/you that lead just sitting there isn't a threat.
Problem is, the EPA doesn't come to you and me and take our word for things. They make up whatever they feel will fill their coffers with fines and penalties.

Last edited by Hal; January 14, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Strafer Gott

I have a splendid opportunity, but I know what a headache dealing with those fine folks at the EPA is. It's simply a non-starter. It's all about the fines, no kidding.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:03 PM   #16
dmanisgnarly

Wheel weights are the best option for obtaining materials. As long as you don't try to cast from car batteries you should be fine on a lead choice.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:55 PM   #17
JTMcC

Well of course, don't all bullet casters hoard lead like a crazy cat lady??

It started with Grandpa, during WWII when civilian ammo was like hens teeth (they considered his job defense specific and wouldn't let him enlist), continued with my (late) Dad, get ALL the lead you can WHEREVER you can.
We cast, so no zombie aspirations here, but we do have a large amount of lead on hand.
Right now we're shooting commercial bullets for the most part and saving the lead for the off chance we HAVE to cast our own due to diminished options. But it's good to have a sizable stash cause it might come in handy, my take only.

J
Old January 14, 2014, 11:38 PM   #18
skizzums

i thought about it around 1500 pounds ago, its just as addictive as any of my other firearm related hobbies
i see it as much as an investment as gold or silver, t just takes more product to create an ample investment, but if you hunt and ask nicely, i get my lead for 10c up to 40c a pound, after i melt it down to ingots i could easily sell it for up to 1$, thats over a 100% profit right there, what other investment does that
i get all i can, some goes to bullet casting, but most will just sit in the basement waiting for the future where lead will be all but banned, where i will be glad to help out my fellow bullet casters.......for a cost of course

i also find it a handy tool for bartering for brass and other reloading stuff
Old January 15, 2014, 01:20 AM   #19
kraigwy

I get all the lead I want from our indoor range. They are constantly on my butt to get it out of there but I can only store so much.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 15, 2014, 07:41 AM   #20
TimSr

I don't think there will ever be a shortage of lead if you need it and want to cast it. I wouldn't bank on automotive wheel weights made of cast lead being around forever though. Though its not a desireable source, all those new green dream cars aill be hauling around a bunch of lead soaked in sulfuric acid.

The EPA says that exhaling will detroy the planet, but yet they are granted dictatorial legislative power. Making lead bullets won't be hard, but will eventually be illegal if they have their way.
Old January 15, 2014, 09:33 AM   #21
Rifleman1776

Yes, as much as I can.
Old January 15, 2014, 09:49 AM   #22
Don P

Yep I need to start my very own super-fund cleanup site once the neighbors catch wind of what I'm doing.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 15, 2014, 01:20 PM   #23
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I get all the lead I want from our indoor range. They are constantly on my butt to get it out of there but I can only store so much.
I could always use more, if you felt so obliged to ship it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old January 17, 2014, 09:04 AM   #24
trapper9260

I always looking for lead no matter how much I have . I do cast my own bullets and some shot also.The problem with WW is that they are not all lead anymore they make them out of zinc and steel and plastic fill with sand also.need to watch when you melt it to make sure you do not get zinc in the mix.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:29 AM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
I don't think there will ever be a shortage of lead if you need it and want to cast it. I wouldn't bank on automotive wheel weights made of cast lead being around forever though. Though its not a desireable source, all those new green dream cars aill be hauling around a bunch of lead soaked in sulfuric acid.
A good friend of mine is a shop foreman at a new car dealership. His father reloads, and he knows I reload. I've been asking him about old wheel weights, but he said he hasn't seen a lead wheel weight come through the shop in a couple of years. The stuff on the new cars and the weights they get for balancing tires are either zinc or steel.