The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 28, 2013, 05:59 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Found a Mauser Luger, is it worth it?

Went in my LGS to buy some ammo and found this Luger. Im rather ******. I have wanted a nice quality Luger for some time. This fits the bill, I just didnt want to spend the cash now. Before the Germans part me and my hard earned american dollars I have a few concerns.
1. Asking $2800
2. It looks to good.
All the corners are sharp crisp, the checkering on grips is sharp. The grips are very blonde and dry. No holster were, only the most minor of nicks in the blueing. Barrel looks like it just come from the machine shop. Matching number (74, 3174) all over the gun. Mag not matching, but in near mint condition. If I were to rate this gun on a 1-1-100 it is into the high 90s condition.

Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 28, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
jonnyc

Too few pics and info to make a determination. You need to show all the markings and date on the top and side, markings on the barrel, etc. Are the grips original and numbered? Any import marks? Even if as good as you describe, I think that price is at least $800 too high, perhaps even more, although the holster does add a good bit. I honestly know very little about Luger holsters.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:21 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

That seems like a steep price, for an "ordinary" Luger, even in that good shape with matching numbers. Original holsters (there are reproductions, and there are fakes) can be worth a good deal to collectors, and even more if there is something that ties them to the specific gun, other than just being with it, and being period correct.

I have the Standard Catalog of Luger around here someplace, it does a pretty good job giving the markings and mechanical details for a huge number of variations. It also has a price guide for each, and although now a bit dated, will give some basis for comparison with today's asking price.

Last show I went to, Artillery Lugers were going from $16-2200, and they are a more uncommon variant than standard 4" P.08s.

Luger serial numbers, by themselves don't tell us much. Lugers were numbered in blocks, and the blocks repeat within production runs or years, if I remember correctly. It is the other markings on the gun (or lack of same) that determine its collector value, Along with its condition.

Take two guns, identical in appearance, one could be worth twice (or more) what the other is, to a collector, if it has the rare markings.

We need to know the markkings on the chamber, barrel, toggle, and frame to be able to identify the specific variant you are looking at. It might be something uncommon, or even rare, and so the high seeming asking price. If its a common model, even in great shape with matching numbers and a holster, I think that $2800 is too much. But it is a seller's market, and everything has gone up lately (or more accurately, the buying power of our dollar has gone down).

I have an 1936 S/42 P.08. Gun looks brand new. Grips are clearly not original. Was told it was reblued "during the war". Cost was about half what the same marked gun in the same condition, but verified all original was worth.

give us the details of the other markings and we can give you a much more precise answer, and opinions.
Old September 29, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4
BoogieMan

Thank you for your replies. I made an offer on the pistol of $2k. It was refused without a counter offer. Im going to let it go for now. There are more Lugers on the market and Im not actively looking. In this case it ended up in front of me.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 29, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
PetahW

IMO, both the holster & the P08 look correct - I wouldn't sell that particular gun for a penny less than $2500 (going by the apparent condition).

FWIW, Mauser P08's did not use straw coloring on the safety/etc; the triggers were blued with the exact color depending on the era; the extractors were blued; the bolts were left white or blued; and the safety and hammer were either white or blued, again depending on the era.

The grip screws were bright blued on early guns, plain blued on later ones.