The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 8, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
salvadore

nipples

I was going thru my BP drawer and found no less than 3 nipple wrenches with one thing in common, the business end of each one was broken to some extent. Does anyone make a revolver nipple wrench that can take it?
Old September 8, 2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Rigmarol

After busting my second nipple wrench I began taking them off every time I cleaned my revolvers. Now I put a generous amount of Wonder Lube on the threads and snug them down instead of torking them hard.

They come off nice and easy and don't work loose. Plus my 3rd wrench hasn't busted this time.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Hawg

You can make one out of a 1/4 drive socket. Dremel out a slot with a cutting wheel and file to fit.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

What Rigmarol said

Squared!
Old September 8, 2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Best wrench around is from the Possible Shop: http://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipple-w...cbnipplewrench

Colt Universal Nipple wrench is made from carbon steel and has nipple slots of about .196” - .236” and .275”, and screwdriver tip. Combination wrench fits 1851, 1860 and 1858 Cap & Ball Pistol - AMPCO, traditions and Musket Nipples. By Pedersoli.

Description Order No. Price
Universal Nipple Wrench 45-016 $26.95

It's not cheap; but will last you a lifetime. I've got one that's more than 10 years old, and another that's about 5. I keep one in my workbench and one in my possibles bag.

Of course, Balistol on nipple threads and only snugging them down make them easy to remove.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 9, 2013, 07:40 AM   #6
fdf

Ted Cash makes the best one.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Rigmarol

Fingers, I try to stay away from the Possibles Shop...

Every time I go there I get distracted for an hour then end up ordering stuff I didn't even know I needed an hour before!!!

Thanks alot pal!!!
Old September 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Think nothing of it Rig. I've always thought that every hour spent in an activity related to the original gunpowder and its usage is an hour well spent. I'm always glad to help a pard out.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 10, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Are there other reasons to take the nipples out other than cleaning?

What if I just never take the nipples out and clean the chambers well with several Qtips?
Old September 11, 2013, 01:31 AM   #10
swathdiver

FWIW we use TOWs wrenches and have yet to break one. Have also made them from long sockets but always get lost somehow.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:39 AM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
What if I just never take the nipples out and clean the chambers well with several Qtips?
IMO, not advisable on any blackpowder firearm.

Corrosion/rust will eventually set in not only on the nipple's but the threads in the pistol threads as well. Same as a bp long gun.

I'm no bp pistol shooter(shoot various bp long guns) but have worked on a few pistols removing stuck,rounded off nipples all caused by improper routine maintenance or installation.

AFAIK, the installation of nipples on a bp handgun as far as torque , lube and maintenance on them is the same as a long gun. Putting a very,very small amount of anti-seize on the threads of the nipple and just snugging the nipple's(not cranking down on them) when the gun is cleaned should result in easy removal of the nipples.
Breaking nipple wrench's would seem to be user error to me.
I.E. No lube on thread, over-tightening and let to set dirty for a long period of time.