The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 4, 2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Knightsofnee

Anybody sell a gun to Gun Parts Corp.?

If so, do you feel that you were given a fair price for it?
Old September 4, 2013, 11:37 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

I have gotten a few quotes from them, but never sold them the firearm.

They pay pennies on the worst-case-scenario dollar.

If you have something that's worth a solid $150, as a parts gun, you'll be lucky to get a $35 offer (and you still have to pay for shipping).
Old September 5, 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Of course they pay pennies on the dollar, what do you expect? In the old days (30+years ago) you sent them your junk gun, and sent you a check (or was I a money order?..been too long, I don't remember...)

If you didn't like the offer, you sent it back, and they sent back your junk gun. Numrich also used to be one of the last places that still shipped COD. I don't think they do that anymore...does anyone?

A wrecked car has probably at least a couple hundred dollars (maybe much more) of useable parts, but you won't get that value if you sell it to a wrecking/salvage yard.

Same with guns. You might have a gun with $150 worth of good parts in it, but you'll only get that much if you can advertise, and wait for each of the parts to sell. It might take months or longer just to for someone looking for a specific part to find YOU. And then, of course, they're going to want the part for dirt cheap.....

Computers make it lot easier than it used to be but its still not easy to get even close to full value from used parts. First of all, they're used parts, but mostly, selling, and shipping each piece, as it happens to sell (IF it does), can take time and effort, spread out in little pieces over a long time.

Numrich offers a little bit of cash, now, for what most people would only see as junk. IF its not enough, simply don't sell to them. What ever money you make, or costs you incur is entirely up to you.

Another thing to consider is what it costs them after they buy your parts gun. They have to strip it, inspect the parts, catalogue, and put them in stock. That takes time, and costs money. I'm sure that plays a part in their offer, too.
Old September 5, 2013, 01:56 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Of course they pay pennies on the dollar, what do you expect?
I expected nothing more from them.

I was simply stating the reality of the situation.

Sometimes, when you have a firearm that's difficult to find or valuate, it can be even more difficult to get a value on a 'parts gun' of the same model, without actually getting a quote from someone.
Old September 5, 2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Knightsofnee

Thank you for your replies. The firearm in question is a Franchi .22 semi-auto. I've been looking for parts for it for 30 years. I'd probably get more for it at a "gun buyback" but I won't give the antis the satisfaction. BTW Gun Parts Corp. does have parts for the Franchi- just not the ones I need. It'll stay in the back of the safe. Thanks again.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; September 5, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old September 5, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

You should check back with Gun Parts (Numrich to us old pharts), from time to time. Someone might just sell them a Franchi with the parts you need, next week, or next month. Or never, that happens, too.

Also, it might be a good idea to talk to them. They sometimes have small quantities of parts that are too small to put in the catalogue. Not sure if that applies to online listings, but it might. Give them a call, the most you will lose is the cost of the call, and you might find what you need.

For example, if they have 3 hammer noses for a model geschutz loudenboomer, worth $8 total, but it would cost them $10 to list them, they don't get listed. But they do know they have them, and (at least in the old days) would check for you if you asked.

Good luck!
Old September 5, 2013, 07:21 PM   #7
lamarw

Typically the broken or missing component in a parts gun is the exact part everyone else is looking for as a repair part.
Old September 5, 2013, 09:47 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

Put it on Gunbroker auction site, and note it's a parts gun.
Old September 7, 2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
I've been looking for parts for it for 30 years. I'd probably get more for it at a "gun buyback" but I won't give the antis the satisfaction.
Not commenting on the actual firearm in question, but re-consider your position. Give those morons the "satisfaction" and take their idiot grocery store gift cards or cash. I have friends who go to those buybacks and hand them complete trash & eat from their funds, all the while making offers for the decent guns people approach with.
Old September 7, 2013, 10:30 PM   #10
TXAZ

If enough people like the offer Gun Parts gives, then they'll stay in business. If not, then not. If you don't like the offer lots of online options mentioned above.

Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes