The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 19, 2013, 12:52 AM   #1
MissPistol

Favorite Targets and Distances

As I go to the range to try out some guns I'll also be trying out other things. Targets are one. The range has a variety, some pictures of ghouls, human outline (looks like their backs - that's a little creepy to me), and a few more basic target-y ones. I kind of like the basic ones because they have a nice bullseye, but what do you all like to use? does it matter what you are shooting at as long as you "know" what you are aiming at? or what? I am new to handguns, having only had two sessions to date.
Old May 19, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2
Jammer Six

I use any piece of paper, and train at forty feet.
Old May 19, 2013, 02:12 AM   #3
allaroundhunter

Re: Favorite Targets and Distances

I like steel.... Plate racks and Texas Stars in particular, but any steel is preferable to paper. After that I like cardboard, like used in USPSA/IPSC and IDPA. To be honest, I have gotten fairly tired of just paper targets when shooting handguns, unless I am teaching a new shooter or just shooting some practice with a .22 lr.
Old May 19, 2013, 02:17 AM   #4
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Right now I'm focusing on mastering the fundamentals, more bulls-eye shooting than dynamic since ammo is an issue. I use a regular 10-ring bullseye target at 15 yards and move out to 25. If I decide to do double or triple tap shooting I move the target in to about 7-9 yards and use a torso and aim for A hits below the head/neck but above the A in the A-zone. (Bottom top of the sternum)
Old May 19, 2013, 02:18 AM   #5
FM12

Standard disposable paper plates. Stapel them to a backing put an aiming dot in the center. Aim shoot repeat. Replace as needed About a nickle each if that.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:18 AM   #6
ThatBeardedGuy

I like steel when it's available, because it gives you audible feedback that you scored a hit and removes your need to figure out which of the several dozen holes you've put in your target are actually from your current course of fire.

When it's not, I prefer silhouettes. I've gotten a few of the zombie targets before just because they paint up when you shoot them, and they're legitimately a fun break from the norm.

"We're gonna turn left!!" - NASCAR, in a nutshell.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:23 AM   #7
garryc

For combat style shooting I use paper plates. I don't bother going outside the 12 yard mark for that because in 99% of the self defense shootings the action is well within that mark, and often at contact range.

Inside 12 feet I set one at a low position that represents belt buckle level and all the structure and major arteries there. Then one is at center chest level and a third representing the head. One drill is to roll from the holster and fire two rounds at the bottom plate from low point at 5 feet, then while backing away at an angle go to high point and fire two center plate followed by two to the head. I don't believe going to high point so close to the target is such a good idea as you risk a take away. One variation is starting at contact distance with a back hand fist strike to the top plate while drawing.

Ok, that being said, at longer ranges with the hunting revolvers and the semi auto combat guns it's a simple NRA 25 yard pistol target center.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
dayman

For most of my center-fire pistol shooting I use steel silhouettes at 10 yards. A $1 can of spray paint covers hundreds of hits, and with electronic ear muffs I can hear my hits.
For .22 pistol I usually use paper targets that I make on the copier at work at 25 yards, but I recently bought a self-resetting target that's a lot of fun.
For rifles I pretty much always use paper targets at 50 or 100 yards. Rifle steels are more expensive, and I'm generally going for a much higher degree of precision than COM with a rifle.
I do occasionally buy exploding targets, but generally just when I have people over to shoot, or special occasions.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
kraigwy

I like a variety of targets depending on what I'm shooting.

I like steel, Texas Star, dueling tree, etc. For 22 rifle I like the ISU Small Bore targets for precision shooting, for plinking I like ice cubes made with cool aide for color.

I like high power targets for my Center Fire rifles. Also like to chase that little orange forever shoot target or what ever they're called.

What I hate, is bottles and cans. I refuse to allow them on my range.

I like bowling pins, I drilled holes in the tops of the pins, put in an eye bolt and suspend them from an old swing set frame. Been cheating, I've been practicing for our up coming Bowling Pin Shoots.

A little hint on bowling pins, don't shoot them with a 204 Ruger, it doesn't move the pins that much but it takes a big chunk out of the back of the pins.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 19, 2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Nanuk

I practice with my handguns out to 100 yards. From 50 to 100 yards its just a steel gong these days. I use paper or cardboard for anything closer. For trying out a new gun or learning to shoot there is nothing wrong with plain targets. If you can make hits at distance it means you have all the fundamentals down.

Quote:
A little hint on bowling pins, don't shoot them with a 204 Ruger, it doesn't move the pins that much but it takes a big chunk out of the back of the pins.
You should see a 50 Beowulf clear a pin.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Blue Duck

Depends on what gun I am shooting or how much trouble I want to go to. Sometimes it's just a tin can, other times I like to set up an IPSC of IDPA cardboard Man cutout.

If it's handguns for self defense I will practice anywhere from 3ft to 7 or 10yds.

Other types of shooting of course I will shoot at much longer ranges at times.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Ben Dover

My neighbor supplies my with FBI "Q" targets that he buys in bulk through the academy from which he retired. I generally buy 500 when he puts in an order for 1000. A very nice practical target. I've also used IPSC targets but they're a bit expensice.

I have not used round bullseye targets since I discontinued competitive shooting 30 years ago.

For long range rifle practice, I have several steel targets and frames that are good for rifles up to the .300 magnums.

Unfortuneatly, these are very expensive. But they're wonderful for 200 to 600++ yard shooting.

Balloons on a string are great fun on a windy day. (as long as you have some kind of compressor to inflate them!)

But one of my favorites is walking along mountain game trails and engaging "attacking pine cones" with an AR-15.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:48 AM   #13
campbed

Steel plates (plate rack or dueling tree) for both 22LR and 9mm. Only use paper if the shotgun boys have the plate area closed.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:43 PM   #14
BuckRub

steel and paper targets. I got tons of both on my range and like to hit a variety
Old May 20, 2013, 01:55 PM   #15
csmsss

My favorite is bowling pins. Problem is all the ranges local to me frown on that and I don't own property where I can set up my own range.
Old May 20, 2013, 03:49 PM   #16
MissPistol

Great ideas -

I never would have thought of these things. Ben Dover obviously has a sense of humor included in his training ritual. Ben, is your wife named Eileen?
Old May 20, 2013, 04:48 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

FBI-NRA targets, Speedwell...

When selecting paper targets, Id buy a few of the FBI type with the "bowling pin" shape and/or a few of the regular NRA match type targets.
Newer targets have special paper that burst allowing you to clearly see that you hit the target.
A few human photo type targets are good too. I think Speedwell is the firm that markets those. Get the bad guy in a car & the bad guy with a female hostage if you can. Those are difficult situations and will condition you to draw/fire or use your skill training even though as a license holder/armed citizen you'd rarely be in a event the same way as a sworn LE officer.
The Speedwells used to be in b/w but there are new color formats.
Learn to shoot well under duress & be able to safely fire from CQB(close up or close quarters) up to 30' or so. If you can hit a standard 3"x5" card at 30 feet, you'll be doing good with a carry sidearm.
Learn how to fire safely with your other hand(called your weak hand) & learn reloading spare rounds(speed strips or pistol magazines). You may need these skills in a real critical incident.

You may want to get a red ASP gun, a blue gun or a safety orange training model gun from Blackhawk; www.blackhawk.com to practice these methods.

ClydeFrog
Old May 20, 2013, 05:01 PM   #18
DonR

Link to free targets you print in your computer.

Link to free targets you print in your computer.

http://www.targetz.com/

Lot of good and interesting answers here.

For a shooter with only a couple of range trips, I would recommend you shoot at a simple paper target in a range at about eight or ten feet for a few trips.

When you can shoot consistently at that distance move target back slightly as more skill is gained. Recommend you have a skilled person help you out. good luck.

If you can learn with a .22 pistol, that is nice for new shooters. That is how my wife did, then ultimately after skill levels improved she chose a Smith and Wesson 642 with .38 special to carry, because she has trouble racking slides and revolvers are very simple. If you are hard core, you can go with more powerful pistols of course... Good luck. PS A training class like needed for CCCW permits would be advisable. The NRA classes are best.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:35 PM   #19
Ben Dover

Quote:
I never would have thought of these things. Ben Dover obviously has a sense of humor included in his training ritual. Ben, is your wife named Eileen?
No, her name is Rebekah!

Old May 20, 2013, 05:45 PM   #20
serf 'rett

Mostly just print my own pistol targets on 8.5x11 cardstock. Has a 1" smiley face in center and blank target information box at bottom. A packet of cardstock paper is much less costly than “store bought” targets. Standard pistol distance for me is from 15 to 25 yards, but some occasional 10 yard targets.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Ben Dover

Another really "fun" pistol target that I used in years past was ice cubes. You know imediately if a hit was scored. And thew price in unbeatable!

Old May 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #22
BuckRub

In my range container I have a bag of water balloons. At the dollar store they are like one dollar for like 50 of them. Blow them up and hang next to targets. Tie them on a piece of one foot piece of thread and let hang. The breeze if there is one will move targets. Eggs are also fun, a dollar at dollar general for a dozen. I also like to get a BG target and hang another next to it like a hostage. Try shooting BG without touching hostage, really fun when you can only see about 4-5 inces of BG.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:09 PM   #23
myusername

I have 3 steel plates for distance. A bit leary using them inside about 75 feet. I just lean them up don't have a hanger yet. Also we shoot whatever trash the jerks who shoot in our area leave on the public lands. And we take it with us when we leave. Those irresponsible people will ruin it for everyone.

Oh and I've got 3 broken POS "smart phones" - watch for my upcoming video - "iphone vs 44mag," trying to decide if we should give them blindfolds or not. I'd do "iphone vs 20 lbs of tannerite, but they have already cost me a grand down the drain.

Last edited by myusername; May 21, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:16 AM   #24
MissPistol

Getting a good belly-laugh.......

..... out of these superb target ideas! I guarantee the range will NOT let me use most of them. But..... MUST.......TRY.......SOMEHOW.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Limited in Miami gun ranges. Just paper and cardboard.

When I branch out...old stereos, steel, wood, etc. Aren't far from shooting.

I'd love to shoot me some steel on the regular. Only time I can is every Thursday.

I envy all of you people with land and freedom to shoot whenever and whatever you want. Envy.