The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
LeadZinger

Very upset....

when I found that I had zero tins of #10 caps when I had thought there were four in my storage box. I was getting everything together to go make some smoke when this calamity was discovered. Naturally there are none to be found locally (within a 50 mile radious) nor have I found anyplace online that is not "out of stock". To compound this sorry situation, I'm out of BP cartridges and can not reload anymore until my bullet order comes in, perhaps in another 3-4 weeks. That order was placed 3 weeks ago when I was told the backlog was two weeks to ship! Have only myself to blame for thinking instead of looking to verify my 'on hand', but, damn, I wanted to do some shooting.

Just can not bring myself to blame the politicians and anti-gun folks for all the panic buying that is going on. After all they still have not passed any law or regulation yet that is going to effect me, and I doubt that they will really be able to get something passed that would be anything other than a minor PITA. Registering for the draft was a PITA, renewing my driver's license is a PITA, but I survived. I do blame those that run around claiming the sky is falling and going out and buying up all the guns and ammunition they can find. Personally know someone that now has more ammunition than he will be able to shoot off before he dies of old age. Has bought guns he never has had an interest in before just because he was able to buy some ammo. It would be nice if things got back to normal sooner that everyone seems to predict.

I feel much better for getting that off my mind. Since I cann't shoot guess I will go give my guns their 1000 round anual cleaning (full disassembly, picks and toothbrush).
Old February 5, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
David13

I don't think the panic has hit the black powder market.
I think that has just become a rather more common hobby over the years.
More popular.
Sunday I thought I had another tin of 100 #10 caps also. I started to look around and realized I was on my last tin.
So I may only have half a tin left.
Here there usually are places that have them in stock. I'll have to call around to see.
A few weeks ago I found lead balls down in Orange county. But had to order wads online.
dc
Old February 5, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Logan5579

The panic has hit in places, it depends on what town you're in. Right after the election, everything flew off the shelves here locally...caps, powder, balls...22LR, 38, 357, 45 auto, 9mm, 380 auto, shotgun shells...(as a town we seem to be pretty heavily armed ) things are starting to even out here though. You can find powder back on the shelves and a few caps here and there, round balls are back in stock and the local shop is able to get the usual ammo in limited quantity, he sells to his regulars first and if anything is left over it goes on the shelf for the next joe who walks in. Everything I want from cabelas is still on backorder though...#11 magnum caps are much more popular than I thought...
Old February 5, 2013, 06:09 PM   #4
10851Man

@ LeadZinger,

sportsmanswarehouse dot com
Old February 5, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
LeadZinger

If I look...

at my local source's inventories, then I would have to say, yes you can buy a black powder firearm. You can even find round ball to stuff them with, but you cann't find any size of caps or BP substitute powder. Looking on the internet is pretty much the same picture - except you can still supposedly get 2ff and 3fff black powder in four to six weeks. Many sites are out of Goex but have the German or Swiss brands available. But you have to search. So Yes, there is a lot of evidence of panic buying in the black powder community.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:11 PM   #6
deerslayer303

If you add your location in your profile, so it comes up under your username, then someone in your area may be able to point you in the right direction. I have 3 mom and pop run places near me and they have everything I need in stock! Do a google search for gunshop and look in the yellowpage website. Thats how I found these. They don't have a website and are advertised very little. You may have some of these type shops near you and you don't know about them.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
TGuidry

Same thing with me as far as locating #10's. It seems that every where I go there are CCI#11's and that is it. I've just recently got a Walker and it requires 10's. I may just change the nipples to fit 11's since those are easier to find.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:33 AM   #8
maillemaker

If you pinch the 11's they will work in...a pinch!

Steve
Old February 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
chaz12

I got lucky because the Gander Mountain down the street started having Remington #10s every once in a while. When they get them in, I will buy several tins. I'll probably shoot about 1000 rounds per year.

Chaz
Old February 7, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10
kwhi43

When caps get scarce, I just switch over to one of my Flint guns. I can get all the flints I want from the creek bank. Got hundreds now. You all ought to get a Flint gun now to avoid the rush.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:20 PM   #11
maillemaker

Next thing you know we'll be making our own powder, too!

Steve
Old February 7, 2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Beagle333

Quote:
I bought this:

and then this:

and I'm really close!

(But I still have to buy caps.)
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Rigmarol

Quote:
I have the books and the tools, just haven't had to gumption to order the materials yet to give it a try. Would love to find someone local who has done it and show me how. The wife would kill me if I blew myself up!
Old February 7, 2013, 01:48 PM   #14
10851Man

Guess we should figure out a way to make caps too....
Old February 7, 2013, 01:58 PM   #15
jolly1

@ Beagle333:
Could you advice where did you get that book? It sounds useful.
Is it available on line?
Many thanks in advance.
Jolly
Old February 7, 2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Logan5579

Hey beagle, I've got one of those tumblers too!
Check out these links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKB8c...uTFfA&index=17
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUVo_...uTFfA&index=13

I'm well on my way as well, just need a pretty day and a few hours of free time.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:58 PM   #17
Beagle333

Quote:
@ Beagle333:
Could you advice where did you get that book? It sounds useful.
Is it available on line?
I got mine on Amazon.com but it was the last one the had at the time.
I haven't seen it online, but I haven't searched long, since I found it right away on Amazon. Be wary of people trying to sell it for $200-300 though, like they do the old reloading books and bp gunsmith manuals. I have seen a copy or two on Amazon with ultra-inflated prices since I got mine.
This one is 108 pages (IINM) and seems to cover it all.
You might could find the same info online for free if you sifted through all the forums that talk about it.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:14 AM   #18
10851Man

Bought a 1000 from Sportsmanwarehouse
Old February 8, 2013, 06:15 PM   #19
LeadZinger

All I want....

is a level of sanity to return to the world so that I can get my shooting supplies when I need them, at the right price, shipped on time, and without having to spend hours looking for vendors that may or may not have what I want. I just need to go to the range whenever I want, shoot, be happy and content, and return home feeling good about everything.

The last thing I need to do is expand my experience in the world of BP. To date that road traveled has only led to greater addiction and more money spent that I can not explain away to my wife.

I finally threw up my hands and placed a backorder with Cabela's for my Remington #10 caps, cause they said they expect an order in around the 25th. It is not like Cabela's doesn't get enough of my money as it is but they do at leat answer the phone and give somekind of information.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:51 PM   #20
Beagle333

If it doesn't lead to "greater addiction and more money spent", you're doin' it wrong.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:01 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

Well, in Tucson, at the Sportsman's Warehouse, you arrive before the store opens on Fridays, wait in line and get a number, then wait in line even longer to buy ammo, primers, etc. - if they are lucky enough to have received it in their delivery - and then you are limited to the number of rounds you can purchase. I haven't checked on caps out here as I don't shoot BP in the winter when I'm here. All reloading supplies are in short supply however - including powder.

Nobody likes the "panic buying" as it is creating a shortage for everybody. BUT, what bothers me even more than that are those who think that any of the proposed regulations that Washington will pass, "will not affect them". Baloney, it will affect all of us in one way or another. Instead of sitting around on our hands and waiting, I urge everyone to contact their Senators and voice your opinion in regards to any gun control or infringement on the rights guaranteed by our Constitution. All it takes is a couple of minutes to search for their website and send an e-mail. That's not being "radical" . . . it's being a "citizen". Just remember, there is no silence more loud than that of a man who will not voice his opinion.

For those that are in favor of gun control . . . maybe you should contact your Senators and suggest that they also make drugs like meth, cocaine, heroin and others illegal . . . that way they will no longer be a problem. Oh, wait a minute . . . they already are illegal. Hmmm . . . how's that working for you Washington? Just remember . . . only a fool can be duped by the court jesters . . . or in our case, politicians.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 8, 2013, 10:19 PM   #22
B.L.E.

When I first started shooting muzzleloaders, back in the '80s, Forster used to sell a gadget called a "Tap-A-Cap" You used it along with a mallet to turn aluminum beer can material into percussion caps. The priming explosive was two or three dots from toy caps inserted inside these cups. Too bad it's been discontinued.

I actually experimented with plastic toy caps on percussion guns but the explosive mixture in these was not powerful enough for consistant ignition, in fact for every successful firing, there were several unsucessful pops with no boom, even with my Ruger Old Army with its fairly large flash holes and direct path to the chambers.
If I can't get more caps within a year or so, I might revisit that experiment but this time fortify the explosive material with extra dots from toy paper caps.

I have also heard of people succesfully using the white tips of strike anywhere kitchen matches as priming explosives.

I honestly never thought this buying panic would affect .22 rimfire and percussion caps when it started. Roundballs, muzzleloading bullets, and Pyrodex/777/BH-209 are all in stock at my local retailer along with some centerfire ammo but percussion caps and .22 rimfire ammo is unobtainium right now.
Bullets for reloading .22 centerfire are starting to show up on the shelves again, cause for hope.
Really, I think this too will pass.

Last edited by B.L.E.; February 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:26 AM   #23
Logan5579

LeadZinger,
Quote:
I finally threw up my hands and placed a backorder with Cabela's for my Remington #10 caps, cause they said they expect an order in around the 25th.
I feel your pain dude. I've had some #11 magnums on backorder since december, supposedly they will be here by the end of February. Local shop can't get them at all and he can barely get any regular #11s. There must have been a run on those rock tumblers at harbor freight too, took them two months to get the thing out of their warehouse and into my house...one week shipping time is what my order confirmation said. Yeah right, one week my butt!
Old February 9, 2013, 08:22 AM   #24
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadZinger
I finally threw up my hands and placed a backorder with Cabela's for my Remington #10 caps, cause they said they expect an order in around the 25th. It is not like Cabela's doesn't get enough of my money as it is but they do at leat answer the phone and give somekind of information
Cabelas is my store of last resort for anything muzzleloading. Buying muzzleloading supplys from them is like buying something to eat at a ski resort or a ball stadium.
Their modern gun stuff is reasonably priced however.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:37 PM   #25
UtahHunting

I was in Sportman's here in Utah today and there were no #10 or #11 caps. They also had no Pyrodex P. Only a few pounds of RS and a couple of pounds of Triple 7. I talked with the gun counter guys and they said there has been a buying frenzy on black powder items now that everything else is sold out. Disappointing to say the least. I do have about 200 #10's and 200 #11's so hopefully that will last until things settle down a bit.