The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 22, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1
kwhi43

Anybody Remember These?

Golden balls. Rememgtion used to make them. Came in different sizes and
you could buy them at Wal-Mart. Aahhh for the return of silver bullets and
golden balls.

Old February 22, 2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Ben Towe

I remember them well. Don't know what exactly they put on them to make them gold though.
Old February 22, 2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Pahoo

Not only do I remember, I still have some of these. Seems to me that these were available not too long ago. That is unless my memory is failing. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Hawg

No but I remember Daisy Golden Bullseye bb's.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Gatofeo

I still have a box: .350 inch for .36-caliber rifle.
Back when I was writing a guns and reloading column, Remington asked me what caliber I wanted.
"thirty-six," I replied, thinking I'd get .375 inch balls.
Wrong!

The lead balls are brass-plated. Purely a gimmick. Looks nice, though.
I still have a box of 100 .350 balls. Never could bring myself to melt them down for the lead.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:33 AM   #6
arcticap

Golden Balls were a part of their marketing image and they still make brass plated .22 Golden Bullets. Their labels are often "Remington Green" in color and their plastic .22 ammo boxes are yellow in color to go along with their Golden Bullet theme even when the bullets in the box are just plain lead. Their marketing image conveys that there ammunition is as good as gold. Even their earlier percussion caps had primer material that was golden in color which has now evolved into an opaque green material that's said to be even hotter and more reliable. It's part of their overall image that has become part of their corporate hallmark.
A lot of folks may have even thought that the brass plated balls wouldn't transfer as much lead on to their fingers during loading.
Old February 23, 2011, 07:48 AM   #7
olmontanaboy

So, golden ball are really brass balls,,,, I been accused of having them a time or two LOL
Old February 23, 2011, 12:16 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

Hawg - I'm with you on the BBs . . . now that was a fer piece back! But the memories . . . . wasn't it a lot simpler when you were a kid?

I remember that I was always bugging my Dad to stop at the hardware store so I could get BBs as I carried my Daisy on all my adventures on the farm and in the woods. If I remember correctly, a tube of Daisy BBs cost something like 10 or 15 cents a tube, but I may be off on that. Anyway, he got so frustrated with me and the amount of BBs I was going through that he ended up ordering a case of them through his hardware supplier (he owned a lumberyard). I guess it was easier than listening to me bug him that I needed more. If I remember correctly, there were 200 tubes in the case and they were the "large" tubes - I do remember that his cost on it was $15.00. I worked off the price of the case mowing lawns. I had to laugh as when my mother passed away 5 years ago, I ran across the remainder of the case - sold it at the auction we had and the guys climed all over it as they thought it was "cool" to have something that "old". Now I wished I'd saved a tube or two just to have 'em, but, hey . . . you never lose the memories . . . and I never had to bug Dad again about running out of BBs . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 23, 2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
a tube of Daisy BBs cost something like 10 or 15 cents a tube
Something like that or you could buy the small packs of 50 I think it was for a nickel.
Old February 23, 2011, 07:09 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Hawg - I'd forgotten all about the packets of 50! If I remember right, they were packed in celaphane or similar. Thanks for joggin' my memory . . . . ahhhhh . . . those were the days!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 23, 2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Hawg

Yeah and they weren't easy open either.
Old February 23, 2011, 07:19 PM   #12
M.O.A.

i think u can still get the gold ball if not i have three unopened packs in the barn somewhere