The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 9, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1
platform

[Q] bull barrel for PSL

are there replacement bull barrels for the PSL semi auto in 7.62x54R ?

if yes, who makes them and is the installation process without cutting and welding

thank you
Old November 10, 2009, 08:07 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Seeing how you have to modify the gas port, lower hand guard, front sight carrier and flash hider to install a larger diameter barrel, the cost for this seems prohibitive.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Jimro

platform,

no.

Jimro
Old November 10, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4
platform

thank you guys,

is there anything that can be done to reduce the flex and heating of the PSL barrel ?

I would like to understand if accuracy can be improved for shots within 2-3 seconds of each other with light grain bullets (147g)
Old November 10, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Jimro

platform,

No, not really. The thin barrel will heat up quicker, but also cool quicker. Three shots from a cold barrel should be pretty tight with all but the thinnest of barrels. That is why most hunting rifles use three shot groups, and most tactical rifles use five shot groups...

The PSL isn't a true "sniper" rifle, more along the lines of a designated marksman rifle in terms of Western doctrine.

Best advice? Enjoy your rifle for what it is and bring along a 22 when you go to the range so you have something to shoot while the PSL cools.

Jimro
Old November 10, 2009, 10:44 PM   #6
MHbushmaster

Making a barrel dampener may work, but then you are messing with the harmonics of the rifles design.

The barrel was made in a light profile because a HBAR would be weight prohibitive for carrying around.
Old November 15, 2009, 05:04 AM   #7
bamaranger

rebarrel

I read an article in recent months about David (?) FORTIER, the AK/assault rifle guru, rebarreling an SVD. Now, I know a PSL is NOT an SVD, but it would seem that one could be rebarreld and there are people out there performing similar projects.

BTW, mine gets 2-40 MOA w/ reloads using .308 dia match kings in its x54r chambering. Surplus and import ammo get 4+.

Mines a hoot and though one of my more expensive and "out there" buys, I feel was worth it.
Old November 15, 2009, 05:42 AM   #8
Jimro

I know of gunsmiths who will do any job, for a price.

But the custom machining required to put a heavy barrel on a PSL is going to cost more than the rifle itself. For that price why not buy an AR-10 or other proven SASS?

Jimro