The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 19, 2009, 05:32 PM   #1
ZeroJunk

Any dove recipes out there?

Got a mess of doves this afternoon cleaned and in the fridge. I was going to wrap them in bacon and put them on the grill tomorrow. Anybody got any better ideas?
Old September 19, 2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Dave R

A variation on that, which I love.

Between two dove breasts, place two slices of jalapeno. Then wrap the breasts in bacon. Broil until the bacon's crisp.

Between the jalapeno and bacon, the dove tastes amazingly good.

Don't do this if you don't like spicy food.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:03 PM   #3
ZeroJunk

I like that idea. I think I have some fresh jalapenos.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Maromero

Stew or with rice.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5
HiBC

Just did a bunch about the same,fillet the two breast halves off.Split the jalapeno,fill with cream cheese,Optional,add a sliver of garlic and a strip of portobella mushroom.Put the dove breast on,wrap with bacon,toothpick,and grill.
Of course,a buddy said you could do this to a dog **** and it would probably be good.

Next dove meal.,I fried a little bacon,set it aside.,Added leftover jalapenos,chopped green onions,mushrooms,celery.Strir fried a bit,then pused to outside of the pan Flored and browned lightly the dove breasts(first turn at the blood popping through)Stirred it all up and duped a little Bud and Clamato in it.
Then I mixed it all in some pasta.I liked it!!

Doves,quail,etc,I have prepared a pan of dirty rice,lightly browned the floured dove(quick and light),then arranged on the rice and maybe 20 minutes in the oven.

There is always the onion slices,bird meat and cream of whatever soup bake.Its good
Old September 19, 2009, 08:12 PM   #6
flyboy14

Bone out the meat from the breast bone, should wind up with two little dove nuggets. Get some skewers, I wrap the nuggets in bacon with a jalapeno in between the bacon and the dove, then alternate with green, red, and orange bell peppers, onion, or anything else I have. Shake on your favorate seasoning salt, then throw on the grill. Nothing better, oh yeah don't forget a cold beer. Heaven. flyboy
Old September 19, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
robhof

robhof

I like to cook the whole dove, the meat on the legs, although small is tasty. I brine mine with a reduced quantity of the turkey brining recipe in the food network site. They only need to be brined for 2 to 3 hrs., but it makes them plump and tender; split the back open with kitchen shears and wrap the bacon around the legs across the breast. Cook on med heat and when the bacon is crisp the doves are done. If you are lucky enough to have the non-native collared dove, they're even better. They are almost twice the size of American doves and very tasty, the wings on them has enough meat and taste like tiney buffalo wings.
Old September 19, 2009, 08:27 PM   #8
fisherman66

I usually do the bacon/jap pepper thing, but we have been doing stuffed peppers all summer and I wanted something a little different.

Dove ala fisherman

Marinate a dozen dove breast in Mexican salsa (with vinegar)over night.

Saute half an onion with few pieces of bacon chopped fine in a couple tablespoons of bacon drippins in a cast iron high side pan.

Dredge breasts in flour and brown with onion for a couple minutes on both sides. Remove breasts

Add milk to the cast iron and reduce. Salt and pepper to taste.

Top the breasts with sauce and serve.

Best dove I've made. Even the 3 year old agreed.

DON'T OVERCOOK!
Old September 19, 2009, 11:29 PM   #9
GeauxTide

First, you make a ROUX

One cup flour to 1/2 cup veg or canola oil. Stir on medium heat until the color of peanut butter..Add 2 part onion, 1 part celery, and carrot. Garlic and cajun seasoning to taste. Add two cups of chicken stock. Add 6 to 10 skinless dove breasts. Cover and cook for 30 minutes on med-low. Serve over rice.

Tonnaire Amais Mai Ca 'Cest Bon!
Old September 20, 2009, 02:15 AM   #10
armsmaster270

In a casserrole with cream of mushroom soup.
Old September 20, 2009, 03:59 AM   #11
trooper3385

I usually do the bacon and jalapeno thing as well. Just be careful, I've almost broke a tooth a time or too with pellets in the breast.
Old September 20, 2009, 04:22 AM   #12
jgcoastie

For family get-togethers, I'd always cut the breasts up into bite-size chunks, cut a slit in one side, to put pieces of jalapenos in half of them and pieces of garlic cloves in the other half (some folks didn't like spicy stuff). Wrap them in fresh bacon and coat with a special sauce for grilling and continue to baste them while grilling. Never did have an exact recipe for the sauce but the ingredients often included;

Coca-Cola
Molasses
Honey BBQ Sauce
Melted Butter
Cajun Seasoning
Brown Sugar
Little Bit of Jack Daniels

Makes a great appetizer or mid-afternoon "munchins" for football games... Did pretty much the same thing with deer meat, rabbit, squirrel, dang near anything....
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 20, 2009, 09:00 AM   #13
ZeroJunk

Thanks guys. I printed this thread and gave it to my wife.
Knowing her she will boil them and put peanut butter on them. Just kidding, she's a good cook.
Old September 21, 2009, 03:16 PM   #14
FrontSight

Just pan fry them whole, eat the breasts & the bones of the legs and wings as well (chew good!)
Old September 21, 2009, 03:34 PM   #15
SgtMeatballs

Take heed to the don't overcook advice...I over fried my dove and there goes my wifes opinion that hunting is the worst hobby I've picked up in Oklahoma...of course now I can drink more!

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old September 21, 2009, 03:56 PM   #16
rantingredneck

Skewer them on kebab skewers with your favorite veggies.

I like an italian theme here and usually go with:
Onions
green peppers
zucchini
roma tomatoes
whatever else I happen to have on hand.....

Baste with your favorite italian or vinagrette dressing and grill to just done. Don't overcook.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)