The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 20, 2000, 12:30 AM   #1
Gunslinger

I'm having a difficult time locating grips or sutable grip material for a pair of custom Vaqueros I'm currently building. I want ivory polymir with a "blind" screw hole on opposite sides. The imitation ivories offered by Ajax are the right color however they will not (can not?) supply them with the blind screw holes. I have tried imitation ivory material however all I have found contains black specks that are not exceptable. I do not want the yellow or so called aged look ivories but pure white. I've tried all the grip manufaturers I know with no luck. I make alot of grips from "scratch" and would be happy with the material to build a set. I've tried all the knife suppliers and the material all contains the black spots when it arrives. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 20, 2000, 07:27 AM   #2
twoinchgroup52

Did you try Lett Grips? They make grips exclusively for Ruger products.
Old February 20, 2000, 08:50 AM   #3
MRH

If you haven't been there already, go to www.sassnet.com and post this question on the wire there ... there's a few people who make their own grips and I want to say this has been addressed before.
Old February 21, 2000, 12:01 AM   #4
bk40

Try http://www.sixgunner.com

I don't have his ph # handy, but Roy Fishpaw makes excellent grips, one pair at a time. He has real ivory avail, also.

------------------
BKs Pistol Pages
Old February 23, 2000, 09:55 PM   #5
[email protected]

Gunslinger,Eaglegrips.com makes an ivory-polymer grip that looks just like ivory,very attractive,got two sets on my twin stainless Vaqueros.They also come in gunfighter style,which is a much better holding grip to me. As far as the hidden screw holes,you would have to ask them about that,but they are very accomadating there. They are pricey however about $140.00 a pair,but I love mine..Good luck..PJ
Old February 23, 2000, 11:44 PM   #6
Alex Johnson

I have made several pairs of grips from the imitation ivory sold by Dixie Gun Works. They sell this in flat sheets which I belive are 4"x5" (I may be wrong on the size) that are .5" thick. The last time I checked a piece of this cost about $20, which is plenty for a pair of grips. I have made two piece grips for the Rugers; as while as, one piece for Colt percussion revolvers by using a wood spacer on the inside joined to the imitation ivory with epoxy. I don't normally use these grips for shooting, instead I prefer to use wood grips that I also make. This imitation ivory will develop black specks (pock marks) with use, or from improper finishing techniques. I prefer to shape primarily on the belt sander, or with files. Finishing starts with 120 grit sand paper and goes up to 600 grit with water as a lubricant. Following this I buff with white compound and finish with a coat of gunstock wax. This will give you a beautiful polished new ivory appearance that cannot be easily told from the real stuff. Still it is not the most durable material for pistol grips. This material is brittle (but than again so is ivory to a degree) and it will chip if you drop it and can develop those pock marks during recoil (though I do have a set of grips made from this material on a 45 ACP derringer that I have shot a fair ammount with no pock marks). Anyway this material is still an excellent base for scrimshaw, or checkering. I have not tried carving it; however, I assume that this could be done with grinders and scrapers, it should hold detail extremely well. An added bonus is that Dixie says that this material will, in time, age to the mellow yellow color of old ivory.

Alex Johnson
NRA, Life Member
Old February 24, 2000, 12:13 AM   #7
Gunslinger

I wasn't aware that DGW offered imitation ivory material but will give them a call in the morning. I've made several sets of custom grips in the past for both my own guns as well as customers guns from various materials. However the stuff they are trying to pass for imitation ivory the last year or so has been shamefully inferior in my opinion. The black pock marks you are referring to were never present in the past and now seems to be in evidence in all examples. This leads me to believe that there has been some change in the resin that is being used industry wide. I wish now I would have stocked up when I had the chance.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 24, 2000, 12:22 AM   #8
Alex Johnson

I guess I forgot to ask have you tried Corian? I have never messed with the stuff but I recall seeing an article in a knife magazine a few years back on its use for knife handles. I don't know what this stuff would work like, but it might be worth a try. I guess the stuff is used for countertops so it should be available in good size chunks and be durable enough.

Alex Johnson
NRA Life Member
Old February 24, 2000, 01:10 AM   #9
Gunslinger

Yelp, I tried the Corian. It is hard to work but managable. The problem was it throws the balance way off due to excessive wieght.

------------------
Gunslinger