The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2009, 08:42 PM   #1
MLeake

My parents' neighborhood watch had their annual picnic tonight...

It usually draws a good crowd, as well as representatives from the Orange County (FL) Sheriff's Department, and sometimes area fire departments and EMS.

According to my father, tonight OCSD was represented by a deputy who had arrested the 16yo who was recently convicted of killing the off-duty Orlando police officer in the parking lot by an ATM last year. (Officer stopped at the ATM on his way home from a shift at Orlando International Airport; kid walked up and shot him as he retreated to his car, where he had left his off-duty weapon)

The deputy told my father and the neighbors that the face of crime had changed in recent years in central Florida. He said the worst offenders were in the 13-15 year old bracket, and that while in the old days, robbers said "Don't look at me or I'll shoot you," they now say "Don't look at me" and then shoot anyway. The deputy's advice to all present was:

1) Buy a gun;
2) Get training in how to use a gun;
3) Be prepared to shoot anybody who invades your home.

My parents have taken this to heart, and will be spending some time at the range later this week.

Regards,

M
Old August 5, 2009, 12:19 AM   #2
onthejon55

Quote:
He said the worst offenders were in the 13-15 year old bracket, and that while in the old days, robbers said "Don't look at me or I'll shoot you," they now say "Don't look at me" and then shoot anyway.
welcome to the new world.
Old August 5, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
ezenbrowntown

Sad but true. I've been saying for awhile that 14 appears to be the new 18. I meant it more along the lines of kids are doing at 13 and 14 what I was doing at 18 and 19. I'm sure that same principle applies to the less friendly side of things too.
Old August 6, 2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Dwight55

Somehow I missed that shooting in all the news, . . . it sure breaks my heart that he just had a moment's lapse in judgment and it cost him his life.

Hopefully the deputy will keep spreading the info about needed actions on the part of the sheeple.

Encourage your parents, . . . give em the "attaboy's", . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 13, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
unloading

Quote:
while in the old days, robbers said "Don't look at me or I'll shoot you," they now say "Don't look at me" and then shoot anyway.
I've read many stories recently that put to bed the "just give them what they want and they won't hurt you" anti-gunner line. A lot of people getting shot AFTER they give the robber what they want.
Old August 13, 2009, 02:53 PM   #6
TenmaNeko

Hey unloading, do you have any links to those stories? I have some family members that have used that line on me recently.
Old August 14, 2009, 10:13 AM   #7
obxned

Our juvenile justice system teaches young thugs that all they will get is a slap on the wrist or a short time-out in the penalty box for even the worst of crimes. We reap what we sow.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old August 14, 2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Wagonman

Hey, I am in Orange Cty at the home of the rat. Actually on the shuttle bus back to the hotel.
Old August 15, 2009, 09:37 PM   #9
TEDDY

shooting

local drycleaners was robbed,the woman clerk gave up the money and thepep had her go in back and lay down she complyed and he shot her in back of head. that answer you TENN: Manning SC.few months ago girl with 2 kids miracle it did not kill her.
Old August 15, 2009, 10:03 PM   #10
unloading

Tennameko here's one:

http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2009/0...nder-murd.html

Quote:
Henderson was shot during a robbery at the Grant Park area bar where he worked, Standard Food & Spirits. He was shot multiple times despite complying with robbers' demands, according to investigators.
Interesting that the perp was caught because of an armed homeowner.

I've read several more besides that - I thought I had them bookmarked but I guess not.

I did a quick google search of shot despite complying and found several stories like this one:

http://www.southphillyreview.com/vie...le.php?id=2508

Quote:
The male victim was shot despite complying with the robbers, police said. The 18-year-old's three friends escaped injury. .......... The victims complied, but the duo opened fire as they rode away, the sergeant said.
There are many more out there. Doing a search for something like 'shot after giving' should give even more results.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:30 PM   #11
Hardtarget

I've said for several years that 13 to 15 was the most dangerous criminal out there. Sad...but we cannot trust anyone anymore. Just this week three punks knocked a woman down and stole purse from her car when she stopped for gas at a Kroger gas station. Two were females. This was 4:30 pm and there were several patrons there to witness the event. At least one was assumed to be 16 because they fled in a car. Times have changed...again.

Mark
Old August 17, 2009, 12:06 AM   #12
jgcoastie

All this makes me want to stay in Alaska for the rest of my life... Too bad my tour is complete in two years and Mrs. Coastie wants to go back down to the "real world" again... Guess the real world ain't what it used to be... Myabe if I can do enough convincin she'll be okay with staying...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.