The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 10, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1
RioShooter

Off-duty cop killed by burglars; What went wrong?

Off-duty cop killed by burglars; former 'Sopranos' actor a suspect

BY VERENA DOBNIK

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — An off-duty police officer was killed today in a gunfight with two burglars outside his home, and authorities said an actor from "The Sopranos" was a suspect.

Daniel Enchautegui, 28, a three-year veteran, was pronounced dead at a hospital following the 5:15 a.m. shooting, said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

He was the second officer to die in the line of duty in two weeks.

"This is a loss to the department and the city," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who joined Kelly at the hospital. "We now have another life to mourn, taken from us for no sensible reason."

The officer had returned to his Bronx home after finishing a late shift when he heard breaking glass in an unoccupied house next door, Kelly said. The officer first called his landlord, then called 911 to report a possible burglary.

The officer grabbed his off-duty weapon and went outside to investigate. His landlord heard Enchautegui shout, "Police! Don't move!", followed by the sound of gunfire, Kelly said.

The officer was struck once in the chest with a bullet from a .357-caliber revolver. Before collapsing in the driveway of the home, he returned fire and struck both of the suspects — one was hit twice, the other four times.

One of the suspects was identified by police as Lillo Brancato Jr., an actor who also appeared in several episodes of "The Sopranos" as Matt Bevilacqua, a mob wannabe who eventually was murdered. He made his debut in the Robert De Niro-directed film "A Bronx Tale" back in 1993.

Brancato was arrested in June for criminal possession of a controlled substance.

A police car on routine patrol arrested Brancato as he was getting into a car, police said. The second suspect, Steven Armento, was arrested as he ran from the scene. Police identified Armento as the gunman.

Both men were taken into custody without incident and were in serious condition, Kelly said.
Old December 10, 2005, 10:57 PM   #2
Sir William

Three things leap to my eye. Off duty weapon, unknown. Reports were that the officer heard noises. He called his landlord and then 911. Instead of waiting, he grabbed his off duty weapon and ran to investigate. The problem is that IF the officer had waited, no arrest(s), no firefight and the officer would be alive. A much better outcome. The officer may have NOT been wearing his vest due to being off-duty. A chest hit from a 357 Magnum was reported as the mechanism of injury that resulted in death. A previous NYPD OTJ fatality resulted from a armpit entry that negated any protection a vest could offer. Might NYPD need to assess the effectiveness of their vests? We don't know, yet. A gung ho mindset or superman complex often pushes LEOs and other citizens into action. The NYPD officer went after multiple actors with his off duty weapon and engaged in a confrontation while armed that resulted in a firefight. If he had not gone out looking for the BGs and waited for responding RMPs, he would have not been a hero. Bad tactics, poor armament, lack of body armour, contact with multiple armed suspects, a firefight, outmanned, outgunned and out of luck. A unfortunate set of circumstances. What went right? Nothing. The NYPD has had multiple officers shot and some KIA recently. I thought NYPD had better training. Jim Cirillo was their leader in firearms training by experience and training. Is this a lack of experience, rushed training post-9/11 and a indication of a lack of tactical awareness? Something is broke and LEOs are dying because of it.

Last edited by Sir William; December 10, 2005 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Modify reply
Old December 11, 2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Mannlicher

Sounds like they need more police training in the Bronx. Bunch of mistakes made here, including a major one, ie, that of determining prioritys.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 11, 2005, 11:27 AM   #4
mete

The NYPD is not alone in being deficient in training. The mayors and police cheifs are more concerned with PR ,and PC.In actual shootouts NYPD hits 10% of the time. It used to be 20% when they had revolvers.
Old December 11, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5
pax

Quote:
The officer was struck once in the chest with a bullet from a .357-caliber revolver. Before collapsing in the driveway of the home, he returned fire and struck both of the suspects — one was hit twice, the other four times.
By all rights, he should have had his honor guard to Valhalla.

pax
Old December 11, 2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Harley Quinn

Officer was Hit in chest, returned fire

Lets see, he was hit with a 357 in the chest returned fire and hit both suspects. Twice for one of them and four times for the other.
He got killed because he put himself in a position of danger.
S**t happens guys, when you play in the traffic you might get hit.

He thought like a policeman, not like a civilian review board. Monday night quarterbacking.
He knew the deal, (go back to sleep after you made the calls) go out and further investigate. Give it a brake.

Harley
Old December 11, 2005, 01:00 PM   #7
aspen1964

right..why does everyone look for something or someone to blame when a bad event takes place...the officer suspected a crime...called the police went over to investigate....the crooks got the drop on him and he lost..the only thing that was wrong was someone was breaking the law then killed an officer while he was trying to prevent it...good guys lose sometimes...
Old December 11, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Luck of the draw guys, luck of the draw. It would be great if every time we responded to a prowler or similar call, we had backup, but all too often it isn't available, and a single cop has to handle it. Sometimes things go south .

Quote:
A previous NYPD OTJ fatality resulted from a armpit entry that negated any protection a vest could offer. Might NYPD need to assess the effectiveness of their vests?
This is a problem with all issued vests, with the possible exception of a TAC vest. Even with side panels, the armpit is exposed. It pretty much has to be to allow movement. An armpit hit is essentially a highway to the heart. Training can always be improved, but I think it's more NYPD having a bad run of luck.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 11, 2005, 01:28 PM   #9
aspen1964

Got to give credit for the police of past times who went out on duty everyday without a body-shield....soldiers too...today the same types feel naked without em.
Old December 11, 2005, 05:36 PM   #10
Bo Hunter

I'd say given the situation, and assuming the "off duty weapon" wasn't a 12 ga. w/buckshot - the guy did some outstanding shooting....
Old December 11, 2005, 05:45 PM   #11
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Gee Sir William, it must be tough to be soooo perfect, and know absolutely everything.
Unknown about your background, but there is little doubt in my mind that if the cop did nothing, you might find something to whine about.

This cop did a terrific job. It turns out he died. That happens. There is no absolute in this business, and even if you do everything right you can loose, and everything wrong you can win.
If he had perhaps shot first, a great many would complain that he acted a a JBT etc.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Old December 11, 2005, 05:48 PM   #12
Sir William

NYPD does seem to be having training problems. In the previous KIA, the officer made mistakes. He initiated pursuit in a unmarked car, he was shot as he pulled alongside the suspect vehicle (a BIG no-no!) and he had not communicated properly per NYPD pursuit policy. He is a dead hero. The officer involved in this incident is also a dead hero. There is the problem. I can only hope that the NYPD officers demand a review and demand better tactical training. Inspectors funerals are not the desired outcome.
Old December 11, 2005, 06:10 PM   #13
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

I'd be very happy to hear of your background. How much time have you spent as a cop in NY?

Or, is your knowledge all based on the errornet.

Pat sends, anxiously waiting.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Old December 11, 2005, 06:14 PM   #14
Lion In Winter

Gee Sir William, it must be tough to be soooo perfect, and know absolutely everything.
Unknown about your background, but there is little doubt in my mind that if the cop did nothing, you might find something to whine about.

This cop did a terrific job. It turns out he died. That happens. There is no absolute in this business, and even if you do everything right you can loose, and everything wrong you can win.
If he had perhaps shot first, a great many would complain that he acted a a JBT etc.

Yes!! Took the words right out of my mouth!
Old December 11, 2005, 07:47 PM   #15
Musketeer

Spoke with my NYPD buddy on Wed about the armpit shot. The information that the officer made the stop improperly, by pulling up to the side of the vehicle, and therefore recieved the shot in an area unprotected by the vest has not been officially disseminated throughout the department. My buddy's opinion, and that of several officers he has discussed it with, is that the mayor and his people are trying to get as much milage out of a "valiant officer slain" and "evil guns" rather than give any indication that the officer did anything wrong.

This is a huge mistake. It is tragic that an officer lost his life but what is worse is that, having lost his life nobody is using this as a lesson to protect other officers. I predict the same path will be followed with this weekend's shooting...
Old December 11, 2005, 09:20 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Lion In Winter said
Quote:
I didn't see where Sir William was claiming to be perfect. He just provided his interpretation of why the officer lost his life and the idea that it probably was not necessary.

Quote:
This cop did a terrific job. It turns out he died. That happens.
Wow, that has to be one of the most cold blooded things I have ever read. Nice you can discount the cop's life so easily, but you get upset with with Sir William for being critical of the cop's tactics. Do you really think the cop did everything right? Then why is he dead?

Quote:
There is no absolute in this business, and even if you do everything right you can loose, and everything wrong you can win.
Oh I get it. These things are preordained and so no matter what the cop would have done, he would still be dead?

Funny thing, there seem to be a lot of people, civilians, military, and law enforcement who tend to survive by doing the right things and there are a lot of folks in those categories that are dead becausse they did the wrong things. The correlation is staggering.

You are correct in that there are no absolutes (which is an absolute and so apparently doesn't apply?), but if you do everything right, your chances of getting killed are nil. It just then becomes a question of how much you have to do that is right.

I simply don't see how the officer in this case did everything right and managed to get shot, apparently by the first shot of the fight.

So tell me, since you think the cop did a terrific job, at the academy, will they be teaching his approach to responding to a burglary as the proper way to handle things...do you think? Or will they be teaching that this approach as being a less than an ideal way to deal with the burglary of a vacant house?

Being heroic and being a hero does not mean you did things right.
Old December 11, 2005, 10:34 PM   #17
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Dns

Quote:
I simply don't see how the officer in this case did everything right and managed to get shot, apparently by the first shot of the fight.
There's this nasty little gremlin out there by the name of Murphy's Law that seems to haunt law enforcement with a myriad of variations, the first, foremost, and scariest of which is "the unexpected is not always the expected". You can train until cows fly, and there's no question that it ups the odds of going home to the little lady at the end of shift, but the unpredictable, unexpected happens, none the less. Can we term it a mistake and should we? Yes on both counts. Newhall, CA, 1972, taught us that. Prior to that, it was sacrilege to even whisper that a fallen cop made a mistake. The Newhall incident sparked the movement that resulted in today's officer survival training. So we learn and we train, and we're safer... until the next variation of Murphy rears its ugly head. Something new, something not anticipated. Now if we all had IBM's "Big Blue" for a brain, along with ESP, x-ray vision, and super hearing, maybe everybody would go home safe at night. Then again, maybe not. But we don't and more mistakes will be made, at great cost. Some just aren't preventable. The abandoned vehicle call that turns out to be a sniper setup to take out a cop, for example. Again we learn, and we train, but the cycle continues, and will continue .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 12, 2005, 01:14 AM   #18
thatguyjosh

I guess I'll be the first to say RIP...
Old December 12, 2005, 07:27 AM   #19
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Do you know what happened? Do you have access to the Unusual Incident report? The Firearms Discharge/ Assault Report?
Or are you just shooting from the lip again?

I have stood at attention and rendered a salute at the funerals of a great many cops and firefighters, some of whom i have known and were friends.
I have been involved in shootings, investigated shootings and arrested a large number of armed citizens who were in the process of committing felonies.

No one is perfect, and a man wiser then you and me stated that no plan survives the first shot.

Yet the errornet masses demand perfection from cops, when not even the courts expect that.

The anti cop theme runs deep through the disinformation cowpath.
I will be the first to state that there always should be oversight of the police.
However, that oversight has to be tempered with common sense, something sorely lacking when people hide behind screen names.

No one seems to be in a great hurry to critique armed citizens who do poorly (the west coast mall shooting being the most recent), but everyone seems to be an expert in police procedure.
Amazing....
During my 20 years on NYPD, i have had neighbors bang on the door of my house because their kid/ cat is up in a tree, their house had been burglarized, someone was fighting in the street.
My answer was a question- "Did you call 911?" If not i handed them a phone.
It is surprising how many state that they "Do not want to get involved", but expect you to.
I was involved 9 times off duty. One was for a DWI with SPI. The rest were for armed /robberies, shootings or possession of a firearm.
I have seen- intimately- how something that looks white can shade to dark grey and fade to black in the beat of a heart.

Many state- and correctly- that people are innocent until proven guilty, and that people should wait until the facts are in until a decision is made.
So, how come that doesn't apply to cops? How come a great number of sanctimonious posters will accept what the media says in relation to the police as absolute fact, but hate the press when it comes to other issues?

This cop awoke to the noise, called his landlord and 911, gave a description of himself, and stepped up to the plate.
I'd venture that if he stayed in the rack and did nothing, a great number of people would criticise that action.

Lastly, reading is fundemental. Lion in the winter didn't write it- I did.
But hey, facts aren't part of the forums.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Old December 12, 2005, 10:55 AM   #20
BillCA

As I read this, the officer did what we all want from our police officers -- stood between the citizens and the crooks prowling the night.

The officer followed a decent protocol -- call for backup, give a description of himself and identified himself while trying to detain them for investigation. When the shooting started, he showed remarkable accuracy, getting 6-for-6 hits from a compact pistol (a Kahr I would guess from the KHR error in the news article).

What went wrong? It appears he did not wear his vest which most likely would have saved him. Maybe he'd washed the carrier and it wasn't dry. Whatever the reason, he needed it. I didn't see any mention of him having a flashlight which could have dazzled the shooter's eyes enough to miss. He was found in the driveway and no mention of him being near or behind a car or other cover. Did he make the mistake of issuing his challenge from an unprotected position? It would seem likely. But perhaps there wasn't cover available or he was surprised before reaching cover.

It was 5:20am and bitterly cold. He was wearing a heavy winter coat and it's a good bet so were the bad guys. As noted a number of times here and elsewhere, JHPs often clog up with dense fabrics and fail to expand. This can turn a good performing round into a FMJ performer.

I should note that the BG's could have simply run away and it's doubtful that the officer would have fired (at least legally anyhow). Had they fled, they may have escaped before backup arrived on-scene. But the BG elected to make it a shooting. No doubt an armed civilian wouldn't have been a deterrent either.
Old December 12, 2005, 10:58 AM   #21
seanmac45

Double Naught Spy and Sir William;

When was the last time either of you stood up with a shield on your chest and a gun in your hand in defense of ANYONE? This cop knew a crime was in progress. He answered the call as duty and honor demand if this is your profession, and he paid with his life. If he had called 911 and done nothing else you two would have pilloried him for malfeasance. Instead, he stood up like a MAN, took action and paid the price.

You weren't there. You have no idea what transpired and yet you feel knowledgeable enough to go on a public forum and criticize a MAN. Note MAN in capitals cause that was what this officer was. Not some nameless, backstabbing, anonymous critic on an internet forum, but a MAN who answered the call to duty. Try and reflect on that as you sit there at your keyboards and type.

Sean L. McMahon
Lt. NYPD (Retired)
Old December 12, 2005, 11:00 AM   #22
seanmac45

Tactical Teddy; A fighting toy for the Twenty-First Century

The teddy bear of the twentieth century has been replaced. This new breed of warrior has been spawned from the pages of the gun mags and the internet. He runs on two six packs of beer, which will sustain him through a days’ worth of fearsome imaginary combat with rivals ranging from home invaders to the local Al-Queda cell.

Notice the steely glint of determination in his eyes (if you can see past the Oakley sunglasses). Dressed in the newest marpat camouflage (purchased on E-bay) these fearsome man-toys strike fear in the hearts of bad guys everywhere. They are armed with a staggering array of weapons, all of which are scrupulously configured to emulate those of the real deal high-speed low-drag operators whom they admire. Take your Tactical Teddy and hit any button on his remote control (cleverly disguised as a mil-spec GPS unit) he’ll leap to his feet in a manly pose, extend his right fist with a thumbs-up gesture and bellow “GOOD TO GO!!!!” in a rich, deep baritone.

Best of all, this new breed of man-toy is self-aware and capable (to a small degree) of learning and adaptation. Once a new weapon has been adopted by a unit with initials, they go into full seek-and-attain mode, stopping at nothing until they have a blaster that matches the new one exactly. They may never fire it, but it will definitely be the most accurate copy of the new equipment that mortal man can produce. Along the way, they will ensure that they find a holster that will minimize damage to the finish of their unfired weapons so that they can retain that just-issued look.

Along with this adaptability and intellect comes a stunning new concept in artificial intelligence. Each Tactical Teddy comes equipped with a USB port cleverly concealed where his rectum should be. Just plug ole Tactical Teddy into the USB jack of ANY internet-capable computer and he will immediately log on to the nearest tactical website and begin holding forth on the best ways to subdue bad guys and execute dynamic entries. This would be the Twenty-First century’s best example of the phrase “talking out of his ass”.

You will notice a tendency for Tactical Teddies to seek out other TT units on the web for the express purpose of boosting their egos and enabling the transfer of an endless stream of imaginary war stories. They will gather on the web and adopt unique call signs, indicative of their lethal capabilities and training. Some of the more advanced units will engage autonomous learning sub-routines and actually attend some form of gunfighting school and from that point on will become a universal expert on death-dealing and mayhem incitement. (Note; this option is for the advanced user and should be carefully monitored lest the TT sustain a self-inflicted injury due to an ND with his never-before fired blaster.)

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Tactical Teddy is the answer to America’s prayers. We have no further need of Homeland Security, or any branch of the military for that matter. For today we have the ultimate evolution of self-defense units in the world, the Tactical Teddy. He stands guard (in a swivel chair, on the net) 24/7, ready to answer the call to arms in defense of our nation. He’s lean, mean and a veritable one-man army fighting machine.

Available at K-Mart and on the web.

©2005 Seanmac45
Old December 12, 2005, 12:01 PM   #23
Mikeyboy

You know WHAT happens. Olympic Swimmer can drown, Mike Tyson can get knocked out by a non-skilled guy throwing windmill punches, and highly trained persons in LE or in the military can lose a gunfight. It was 2 on 1, what do you expect. Ironically if you watch the Sopranos this guy is a prime example of life imitating art. In the show he was a loser, trying to become a wise guy criminal. You mean to tell me that this guy who was in a movie and a hit TV show has to resort to robbery and murder. I bet you the guy has loads of money but got caught up in the criminal lifestyle...its stupid, just plain stupid.
Old December 12, 2005, 05:47 PM   #24
Double Naught Spy

Geez guys, I am sorry. I was of the impression that this thread was in the Tactics and Training section of The Firing Line and not in the Martyr Memorial section. I thought this was the section where things like shootings get discussed as we are interested in knowing how such events unfold and learning from such events so that we may utilize insight gained here to apply to future events. I would have sworn the thread title included the query, "What went wrong?" Little did I know that discussions of what did go wrong or what might have gone wrong that resulted in the officer's death were not to be discussed if any such information or opinion gave the impression that the officer was anything other than flawless in his performance. As Capt. Charlie noted, there was a time when discussing falling officer's mistakes, shortcomings, etc. wasn't done too much. More than 30 years after Newhall, I didn't realize we still could not discuss such matters, oh but wait, we can and we do.

Maybe I have just missed a point of protocol. Is there an appropriate waiting period before such matters can be discussed? I know that we can discuss at length such matters an Newhall (mentioned by Capt. Charlie), the Miami FBI shootout, Mark Wilson's tactics in Tyler, and talk about all the mistakes made that resulted in severe injury and death to good people, MANly people who went in and did the best they could and yet so many died. I am fairly certain none of us were at Newhall, the Miami FBI shootout, or in Tyler, so does that mean we can't discuss the information?

None of us were with the Georgia State Trooper for the incident discussed here ... http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...fficer+shot%22

The trooper was killed. The video is now used for LEO training and it isn't being used as the example of what should be done. Mistakes were made. When a cop is knowingly dealing with bad guys or people committing illegal acts and the cop dies, mistakes were made. So why aren't you guys all over that thread and chastising non-cops for pointing out errors made? Are their opinions not valid because they aren't cops? Of course not.

I have known both cops and firefighters that have been killed in the line of duty. A common thread running through all of those deaths was determining how it was that the situation deteriorated to the point that resulted in the loss of life. Nobody wants to repeat those mistakes.

seanmac45, I did not criticize the officer, but how he handled things based on what has been made public so far. And in using your logic, you weren't there either. You have no idea what transpired and yet you feel knowledgeable enough to go on a public forum and criticize another for an opinion for which you cannot definitely say is right or wrong. I am sorry, but that sounds like you are applying a double standard.

Let's see, Pat Rogers said,
Quote:
No one seems to be in a great hurry to critique armed citizens who do poorly (the west coast mall shooting being the most recent), but everyone seems to be an expert in police procedure.
Apparently you haven't seen a lot of my posts. You will be happy to know that I don't care if folks are black, white, male, female, LEO, military, civilian, armed, unarmed, good guy, or bad guy when it comes to learning about what works, doesn't work, can't work, may work, etc.

On McKown and the shooting at Tacoma Mall, please read...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=189562&page=2

Here I mention my own failing to respond correctly to a shot fired at a gun show...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ghlight=frisco

And ESPECIALLY when it comes to non-LEOs performing in self defense situations, I am not a big proponent of the idea that just because the good guys won that the action taken to effect the win was prudent. Mark Wilson in Tyler selflessly responded to an active shooter situation that he apparently could see from his apartment window over the square in Tyler, Texas. Wilson either was an owner of previously owned a local gun range and was involved in concealed handgun licensing and defensive shooting classes. Mark Wilson is a hero. He is a dead hero. As with the NYC cop, it is a shame he was lost. Why Wilson didn't open fire from the protection and high vantage point of his apartment is unknown. Why he took a pistol to fight a man with a rifle is unknown. He could see the events from his apartment, so he had to know the gunman had a rifle. Since he taught self defense shooting, he had to know that pistols are far from idea combat guns compared to long guns. Why Wilson failed to transition from torso to the head when his torso shots were ineffective is unknown. On top of all that and very unlucky on Wilson's part, the fight between Wilson and the gunman would result in one of them going down. Why? Because Wilson was using the engine end of the gunman's truck as cover. There is no indication that he knew the truck belonged to the gunman, but the gunman did identify Wilson as a threat (obviously) and realized that to effect his egress from the situation, he would have to get Wilson out of the way. After initially dropping Wilson, the gunman then walked over and shot him again, supposedly in the head. Wilson died.

I Wilson a hero? Yes. Did Wilson make any mistakes? Assuming the right amount of time has passed to discuss the matter, I would have to say that Wilson made some mistakes. This statement in no way casts dispersions on Wilson or his honor. Simply put, the actions he chose were not ideal for dealing with the threat in that situation and as such resulted in Wilson's death.

Oh, and I really like it how you guys are quick to cast dispersions on the information currently available, calling it into question, but so far, none of y'all have any more solid information on the matter. If the information available is dubious, your reasons for implying that anything other than glowing opinions of the officer must be bogus also means your opinions are bogus because you don't have actual information beyond what has been presented. Pat, your comment was great in this regard...

Quote:
This cop did a terrific job. It turns out he died.
So please share with us, Pat, as to just how you know this cop did a terrific job. Please, address your own queries to me ....
Quote:
Do you know what happened? Do you have access to the Unusual Incident report? The Firearms Discharge/ Assault Report? Or are you just shooting from the lip again?
To be honest, I am a little disappointed that a man such as yourself, with such a highly tauted law enforcement career would resort to such flawed argument construction. I would have expected more from you. You know fully well that a person's position in society, job experience, or title does not validate or invalidate their opinion or perspective. You are simply trying to bully the opposition into submission via demanding to know that information such as about their time as an NYC cop, but the tactic is a weak form of misdirection and is consider a logic flaw in argument construction.

You see, with the personal attack meant to discredit your opposition, you are no longer discussing the topic being considered. You are trying to substantiate that your opposition can't have a valid perspective if the opposition doesn't meet your standards. The really sad part of this is that the tactic works with a lot of people, especially those with low self esteem, and you see it quite a bit in political arenas and in the courtroom.

Usually when folks resort to this sort of low level personal attack, in this case an attack of credentials, it is because they have nothing better to offer to counter the arguments being made. So when you can't counter the arguments, you attack the person and the person's credentials.

Oh, and by the way, I am doing the same thing to you, complimenting you and similarly attacking you at the same time. I countered your personal credentials attack by noting my disappointment in your abilities to argue the issues given your credentials. The ploy is meant to show that while you may have such grand credentials, that if that is the best you can do with all your credentials is a personal attack, then you don't crap in terms of a valid argument against my opinions, Sir Williams',etc.

So for the time being, all we have is the errornet and the news articles put forth by various agencies including the NYPD. If you had the documentation necessary to substantiate that I was wrong, I am certain you would have chosen to go that route instead of the weaker personal attack.

And you know, I may be wrong on this, but whether or not I am right or wrong is not determined by my time in the NYPD.
Old December 12, 2005, 06:07 PM   #25
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Usually when folks resort to this sort of low level personal attack, in this case an attack of credentials, it is because they have nothing better to offer to counter the arguments being made. So when you can't counter the arguments, you attack the person and the person's credentials.
As has been said so many times previously here at TFL, if you have to attack something, attack the post, not the poster.

In the same light, we can discuss the officer's mistakes without berating the officer, and that's how it should be.

Time to step back, take 5 deep breaths, count to 10 in 3 languages, and cool it a little folks.

--Capt. Charlie