The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 1, 2002, 08:12 PM   #1
JSMITH

AK 47 Question

Thinking about gettin a ak 47 , I have $500 .00 to Spend . what is the best buy for the money . thanks
Old December 1, 2002, 08:53 PM   #2
boing

By word of mouth only, I'd say VEPR.

Or you could almost get two Romanian SAR1s. Not the same class, though.
Old December 1, 2002, 10:29 PM   #3
Destructo6

You have quite a few options if you're willing to spend $500 on an AK.

Probably the best advice is to be patient and don't settle.

Stand by. There should be more opinions on the way shortly.

Keep all of them clean.
Old December 2, 2002, 12:15 AM   #4
Dave R

I don't know enough about the many AK variants to give you an iformed answer, but if you ask over at AK-47.net, you'll get some expert advice. Here ya go.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumd...php?forumid=77

I have also heard good things about VEPR's. But they are heavy (9lbs or so) because they are based on a strong machine gun action.

My Romanian, OTOH, is under 7 lbs. But there are better AK's than Romanians. They're among the cheapest at arounbd $300. You can get much better for $500.
Old December 2, 2002, 12:55 AM   #5
eggroll

GO vepr

however, you need to ask yourself... what do you plan to do? we have a budget of 500.00... most of the veprs I have seen run in the high 400s, which leave LITTLE for mags and ammo.

yes the vepr has it over the SAR series in terms of fit, finish and robustness, however it is STILL an AK derivative, and a milled RPK based variant at that. However since the original poster is looking to buy an AK clone, why not start low and work up, that is gain experience with an SAR until you get innately familiar with its operation.

My vote is to go for an SAR1 with at least 6 30rnd mags, 1000rnds, a cleaning kit, a MAG loader, stripper clips. Get familiar with this unit and it'll carry over to any subsequent AK units you acquire in the future.

Good Luck
EGGROLL
Old December 2, 2002, 01:10 AM   #6
Nightcrawler

Check out:

Arsenal USA

AK USA

Robinson Armament

Krebs Custom
Old December 2, 2002, 07:11 PM   #7
JSMITH

I lokked at a romainan type the other day and didnt like the fit and finish , they wanted 350 for it , i would rather spend the 500 on the rifle and worry about mags and ammo later , thanks for the advice
Old December 2, 2002, 08:04 PM   #8
Beav

I've been thinking about getting an AK as well but I can't decide...

How well do the AK103's from AK-USA and Krebs stack up to a VEPR? How do they compare as far as "fit and finish" goes, and do they shoot as well?
Thanks
Old December 2, 2002, 09:03 PM   #9
Nightcrawler

I think they'll be just as good as a Vepr in fit and finish. A Vepr, having a heavy RPK receiver, will be heavier and stronger, though. It also has a windage adjustable rear sight.
Old December 2, 2002, 10:00 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Probably the best balance of cost & quality is a used SA-85M.

These are Hungarian thumbhole stock AK semi-autos. Fit & finish is nice. Accuracy is in the 3 MOA range or better with good ammo and the stocks are made for a normal sized US male. Wood is a very attractive blonde color.

They are stamped receiver guns, but I've had a couple of Bulgarian milled receiver AKs--sold them--kept my SA-85M. IMO, there's no reason to pay the extra weight penalty for the milled receiver. A well-made stamped receiver is just as durable.
Old December 3, 2002, 12:46 AM   #11
JG

Quote:
How well do the AK103's from AK-USA and Krebs stack up to a VEPR? How do they compare as far as "fit and finish" goes, and do they shoot as well?

I can't speak for Krebs, but I have 2 guns from AK-USA and they are awesome.......fit and finish is incredible, real accurate, one has a Gorden Tech FCG & the other an RSA (can't go wrong with either). Also, Chris at AK-USA is a gentleman, he'll talk to you all day about guns even if you aren't going to order anything (just wants to make his customers happy). Give Chris a call, he'll be happy to talk to you.

I'm sure a VEPR is just as accurate, have heard great things about them. Although, I don't think they can touch the cool factor of an AK103 conversion.....just my opinion.

If I buy an AK, I want it to look like one.
Old December 3, 2002, 08:33 AM   #12
AK103K

I have a Krebs AK103K and I'm very happy with it. Its also on the upper end of the price range for the post ban guns. I also have a Arsenal USA SSR-85C, which is close to your price range. Its the prettiest AK I have, with real nice blond wood and a great park finish. I also have a SAR1. For the money and a starter, they are a good gun. I got mine with the idea of a project gun. I did replace the trigger due to trigger slap, but that was my biggest expense, $80. I refinished the metal with Aluma Hyde II for about $15, and the wood as actually nice, once I rubbed the fish eyes out with some steel wool. Looks like a brand new gun. It doesnt shoot as well as my Krebs , which gets around 3-4" at a 100, the SAR and the SSR-85C get around 5-6". But then again, these arent target rifles either.
The best part about the AK's is, mags, ammo, and accessiories are dirt cheap and plentiful. They are also very well made. An AK mag makes an AR mag look like trash.( wait, they are! ) No matter which gun you decide to get, the majority of the stuff you get for the first will work on all the others you get. (what? you thought you were only going to get one??? silly boy!)
Eggroll has the right idea. Get yourself a SAR, a bunch of mags and accessories, learn the gun and have some fun. AK's are a blast to shoot. Just be warned, this wont be your last AK, I can pretty much guarentee that
Old December 3, 2002, 01:34 PM   #13
geojap

I have a VEPR II in 7.62x39 and love it. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the 16" barrel version. Don't believe the hype when you hear, "VEPR's are so accurate they shoot 1" groups, yadda yadda..." I think that the .223 version can, but the rest cannot shoot 1MOA. Mine shoots 4 MOA with a good scope and about 6 or 7 MOA without one. 4 MOA is still fine for me. What do you expect when you are using Wolf ammo and the inaccurate 7.62x39 round?

If you buy a VEPR, you won't get a rifle that has QA problems like some of the other AK's have from Arsenal USA and Century, like canted front sights, rusty parts and generally a poor fit between the parts. These other high dollar guns like the AK-103 and the SA-M7 (out of Vegas, not Houston) should be fine too. FAC/Guns n Stuff (www.gunsnstuff.net) has VEPRk's in 7.62x39 for $450.

Like I said, I love my VEPR. It's pretty accurate and totally, completely reliable.
Old December 3, 2002, 05:48 PM   #14
MAKOwner

I don't know what the deal is with the SARs. They wood is kinda ugly and the finish isn't show quality (appearance wise, still a good lasting finish) but it is a fine rifle. My two SARs both shoot around 3-4" groups too... They seem to be slightly more accurate than my nicer (fit and finish wise) MAK90s were.... They are also very fun to tinker with.