The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Dmurphy85

Need help with a maybe not so tough question

Hello I'm new to this whole forum thing as well as reloading. I've already load around 200 rounds of 9mm 100 of 115 gr and 100 of 124 gr I shot the loads a couple of days ago and they all fire without a problem. I decided that I liked the way the 124 shot better so I bought a 1000 round box of berry's but I wanted a little more power not much but just a little because the loads were loaded with cast load data not plated data for my particular powder the rounds would cycle but some would stovepipe. I'm loading with IMR Hi-Skor 800-x using around 4.8 gr and max is 5 gr. My real question is can I load these round nose flat base plated bullets with hollow base round nose data. I question this because the velocity is nowhere near the max of what these rounds can handle? Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Old February 2, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
g.willikers

Data maybe can be interchanged for bullets if they are identical in diameter, length and weight.
And you know what's what when getting creative with loading data.
Hollow base bullets generally are longer than solids of the same weight, and if loaded to the same overall length, would take up more of the internal volume of the case, raising pressures.
You might be better off choosing another powder that gives the velocities you want, with safe pressures for the bullets you have.
If the load data doesn't include the combination you're thinking of using, there's a reason.
Old February 2, 2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Jeff2131

UNIQUE! has been a great and readily available powder for my 9's. I also shoot berrys plated. Check the lymans 49th manual for good load data for these rounds. If you dont own lymans 49th, i highly recommend it. You can pick it up on midsouthshooterssupply.com
Old February 2, 2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Sevens

I'm not sure -HOW- you ended up choosing IMR-800X, but be careful with it -- it may be the world's worst metering powder. For anyone new to the game, that means that most of the typical tools we use to spit out pre-measured charges of a powder don't work well with IMR-800X.

It's a very oddball, bulky flake powder. I'm not comfortable using the stuff unless I'm hand weighing each charge, which is an obvious hassle for handgun ammo.

With that said however, Hodgdon's excellent online resource for load data says that you should be fine to use that powder up to 5.7 or 5.8gr.

Whatever method you are using to dispense that powder and come up with your powder charge for each case... please ensure you are actually getting what you think/hope/wish to get. IMR-800X is horrendous when it comes to being dispensed.