The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 30, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Venom1956

What is you favorite gun 'bit tool set'

Hey all,

I posted something similar to this awhile back. What do you guys feel is the best screwdriver/bit tool set for gun work?

I currently have some cheap Winchester 20pc set I got for like 10 bucks (figured it would be better then normal screwdrivers) but I've still had issues with them marring the screw or in one extreme case they damaged the finish (partially my fault) they were suppose to be flat ground bits but honestly they do look like it to me! I use a small piece of electrical tape on the tips to reduce the marring of the screws if I need to use it. unless I am doing something wrong? Its just the bits I have rarely fit 'snug' top and bottom, usually there is some play.

So my question is what kit has the best PROPERLY shaped bits for these precious gun screws? I noticed weaver has some large kits but when i looked at a 20pc kit from them it look IDENTICAL to mine save for the logos and the case was green...

I remember a suggestion to make my own as great of an idea I thought that was, I am unable at the current time.

So I'd love to hear what you use? I'm not concerned by price as I have guns I have spent far to much on to get ruined by a cheap screwdriver set.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 30, 2012, 11:36 AM   #2
drail

Here's the deal. No set is going to have "properly sized" bits to fit the majority of guns. Gunsmiths learn to grind bits until they fit the screw they need to drive. They have drawers full of bits that are dedicated to a certain model of gun. Over the years I have acumulated quite a few. I buy bits from the hardware/building supply stores and grind them as needed. If you don't want to damage any screws this is pretty much the way it is and has been for generations. That said, Brownells has the best quality drivers and bits on the market. Most of their competition is having their stuff made in China from poor quality steel that will break if you run into a really tight screw (this includes Wheeler, Winchester and Grace). Yes, you can break a Brownells bit but you really have to try pretty hard and Brownells will replace them forever. Your bit HAS to fill the screw's slot completely in depth and width. You want the main driving force applied at the bottom of the screw slot where the screw is strongest. If your bit is not a perfect fit don't use it. A proper bit is actually "hollow ground", not flat ground. This means the the tip of the bit is thicker than the main body so that no force is applied to the top of the screw slot, it's all applied at the bottom of the slot. Buy a basic set from Brownells and add bits as you need them and learn how to grind them to fit. Also buy the grinding stone set they sell for grinding the bits and learn how to grind them. The Brownells are worth every penny you pay for them. One more tip: get one of the short "law enforcement" handles, they keep your hand closer to the work and give you more control. On a really tight screw you only get one chance at it and everything needs to be in your favor to avoid damage to the screw or the gun.

Last edited by drail; September 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
sincentral

brownells magna tip

From what i've read, brownells magna tip is considered the best, unfortunatly i can't buy the set that i want cause there always out of stock. There so popular they sell out!
Old September 30, 2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Venom1956

ha THAT was the set i was thinking about brownells!

Drail. I know I know i should do that but honestly my appt. is TINY and I have ZERO room now that my GF has moved in... Once things improve I do intend to do that.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 30, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The Brownell's is the best set available, and they offer more bit sizes than anyone.
The Magna-Tip bits are extremely hard and very smoothly finished.

I'd order a set with the Law Enforcement size driver handle. It's the perfect size for good control.

Most sets no longer have the very thin size 1 bits, but you can order bits as needed.
As an extra bonus, if you break or damage a bit, just email Brownell's and they'll send you a free replacement.

The Midway Wheeler sets are made in China and no where near the quality of the Brownell's.
Just get the set you want on back order if necessary.
Like most top quality tools, with the Brownell's sets you only have to buy them once in a lifetime.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:15 AM   #6
sDot

Brownells has the Magna-Tip super set back in stock now.. hurry!

I just grabbed the 58 bit set with magnetic leo handle. I have a set of the Grace wooden handle screw drivers, which I believe are made in USA.. Can't wait for my magna-tips tough. Didn't really want to spend the 128$, but it is an investment well worth it as they will last forever and make your life easier.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:37 PM   #7
drail

Exactly right. Life is too short to mess around with anything less than good tools.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Edward429451

I've been using Dillons set for several years. It's not perfect but pretty good.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:29 AM   #9
hooligan1

I use an old Lyman gunsmithing screwdriver, and a 150 piece Titan bit set, it pretty much covers anything and everything for sure.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

None of them seem to have proper fits.
I have a Lyman hollow handle driver and a variety of bits. But, very often I have to grind my own to get a proper fit. I consider the grinding part of the repair routine. I use regular screwdrivers I buy at flea markets, etc. and grind for what I need.
Those big fancy sets are fancy for a reason, to catch the buyer. Wuthuless in the real world.