The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 7, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1
jd3020

ruger scope rings

I currently own 2 ruger rifles ones a m77 markII .243 and the other is a m 77 hawkeye stainless in .270. my question is that on my 270 i have purchased a new scope and my old scope was a 6-18x50 where my new scope is a 6-18x40. I went with this nikon becasue it fit my buget but any ways when i went to level the scope to the gun i could just barley see the red line in the bottom of the new scope. Now on my 270 being i had a 50mm scope on it i had to have high rings to set the scope up enough that it wouldnt hit the barrell. Is it ok to use my high rings on this 40mm scope or should i drop them back down to the medium rings. The ruger rings are pretty pricy so if i dont have to change them i dont really want to but if its going to change my bullet trajectory then i will.
Old January 7, 2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Flatbush Harry

Write to Ruger...they may do a swap with you. They do, as a standard, on new rifles.

FH
Old January 7, 2012, 12:57 PM   #3
jd3020

i would do a trade but when i put my new scope on i put bearing retainer on the rings to keep the scope from moving as i had this problem with the last one
Old January 7, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4
jmr40

It would be impossible to tell without seeing you mount the rifle, but I suspect the problem is your technique. You have gotten so used to using the high rings that you are not mounting your face on the stock properly. Low or medium rings should be perfect for the 40 mm scope.

Of course if you want to mount the 40mm scope in high rings you can, but most experts sugggest mounting as low as possible for a variety of reasons. But different people have different builds and where low mounts work for me on this rifle, you may need mediums. I cannot imagine needing highs.

The good news, if you have to buy rings from Ruger, you only have to buy 1 ring, not a set. Ruger makes 4 heights. Low, medium, high, and extra high. They come from the factory with 1 medium and 1 high. You mount the high ring on the rear, and the medium on the front. This is considered a medium set. If you want to go higher, just order 1 extra high ring. Mount it on the rear,and move the high ring to the front. If you want low rings, just order 1 low ring. Mount it on the front and move the medium to the rear.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:47 PM   #5
jd3020

well i guess i didnt realise that the front ring was different then the rear ring. When i bought the gun and went to mount the scope and the factory rings were to short i took them back and they gave me a different set. i will check and see which ones are on my 243 to see if they are right or not. so pretty much what your saying is that the rear ring should be higher then the front ring
Old January 9, 2012, 05:02 PM   #6
warbirdlover

I've got a set of stainless Ruger medium rings you can have. I sent you a PM. I found they were too low for my Nikon 3-9 X 40 ProStaff. The bell was against the barrel. I ended up having to use my high Leupold (Ruger) rings.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
jmr40

The receiver bridge on almost all bolt rifles is lower on the rear than the front. On most rifles you would use a thicker base on the rear to get the rings level. Ruger's bases are milled into the receiver so the ring that goes on the rear needs to be taller so the scope will be level. It is really an ingenious design.

http://shopruger.com/searchscopering.asp

Use this link to figure out what you want. When you enter the info and it gives you the part #'s notice that it gives you different #'s for front and rear. Some numbers will show up on both front and rear depending on the overall height you need to match your scope.

They recommend mediums for scopes up to 42mm. I have used lows on scopes up to 40mm. It is close, and may not work with every brand of scope.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:32 PM   #8
warbirdlover

Like I said, the Ruger stainless medium rings (that came with my gun) were too low for the (new) Nikon ProStaff 3-9 X 40. I had to use the set of Leupold high (Ruger) rings to clear the barrel. I had a similar issue mounting my other new ProStaff scope on my Remington 700. I had to buy high (Weaver Grand Slam) rings for that also. The medium Grand Slam rings claimed to work to 44mm scopes. The bell cleared but the bolt handle hit the rear part of the scope. So the scope you use will make a difference.
Old January 10, 2012, 03:22 PM   #9
jd3020

i was looking at the rings on my 243 this morning which is also a ruger and it looks to me i have a low on the front and a medium on the rear. I think i will take them both off and see if they are the same. as i try to measure them i can only see about a 1/16 of an inch difference
Old January 10, 2012, 06:30 PM   #10
warbirdlover

If they came with the rifle they're correct. If you look at the Ruger ordering site there are different numbers which make a medium or high "set" of rings.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:47 PM   #11
jd3020

Thanks to warbirdlover I got some medium rings and installed them tonight. My scope now sits about an 1/8" off of the barrel. Got it all leveled back up and I think I'm good to go. Thanks again guys for the help!!!!
Old January 13, 2012, 11:26 PM   #12
warbirdlover

Glad they worked for you. They would have just sat in the drawer of my gun cabinet gathering dust.

Tags
270 , hawkeye , nikon buckmaster , ruger