The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 27, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1
JerryHN

Anyone put their M1A's through torture?

Hi,

I just got an M1A (loaded-model with syn stock and ss barrel) and I'm wondering how much abuse it can take in extreme conditions (heat, cold, humidity, sand, mud, physical trauma, etc.). I plan on using it hog hunting all year round.

Please tell me your experience with your M1A in harsh conditions/abuse. How did your rifle handle it?

Many Thanks,

Jerry
Old May 27, 2011, 03:36 PM   #2
DnPRK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0-3OQsnR-w
Old May 27, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Jerry HN:

The conditions that you list are not torturer for your M1A. Your rifle was designed for battle and is quite adequate in the conditions that you describe. The main thing is to clean it when through firing.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old May 28, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Only YOU can tell, for certain...

The only way to know, for certain what your rifle will stand before packing it in, is to abuse YOUR rifle! Rifles of that design have proven to take a substantial amount of abuse and neglect before failing to work. BUT, while your rifle is of that design, it is an individual, and may not perform the same as others, even under identical conditions.

People can say "an M14 will take xxx amount of crud, or fire xxx rounds without cleaning before it quits" and pe perfectly correct, for the rifle they saw do it. But assuming YOUR rifle will do exactly the same thing? I wouldn't.

Using combat reports and torture tests is a fair basis for making a general assumption about the overall reliability of your rifle, but the only way to know, for certain about YOUR rifle is to test it personally.

For example, I once saw a pair of M1As "compete" and rifle B had its op rod spring fail after only 500 rnds! OK, bad spring. It happens. But to assume rifle B would sail through the test (as rifle A did) because of the history of the design, proved to be false.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:48 PM   #5
HorseSoldier

M1As are not built to the M14 TDP standards the .mil required for service rifles, and so won't tend to hold up as well to real serious abuse. Year round hunting use doesn't constitute abuse, though, so you shouldn't have any issues.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:17 PM   #6
the rifleer

Honestly, if I had a $1200 rifle, I would not torture it. I take good care of my guns, even the .22 that I paid under $200 for
Old May 29, 2011, 11:37 PM   #7
kraigwy

I've shot my Super Match in just about every condition you can think of in the last 35 or so years. I've shot it in sub temps and blowing snow in Alaska, in hot humid temps in Little Rock (WP Wilson NG Championships). I've shot it in mud, and when it was raining so hard you could barley see your front sight. I've shot it in blowing sand storms in 29 Palms.

So how does the M1A react in adverse conditions, frankly it doesn't care. Those conditions affect the shooter more then the rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 30, 2011, 12:31 AM   #8
JerryHN

Thanks for the replies everyone. Kraigwy, your Super Match has been through so much. Would a "loaded" model like mine be able to do the same? I know the Super Matches are more accurate but are they more durable/reliable in harsh conditions compared to the standard or loaded models?

Thanks,

J
Old May 30, 2011, 01:18 AM   #9
C0untZer0

Hey - come back here and let us know how the hog hunt went.

There is a video here of a .308 not making it to the vitals of a SOW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1PiHxfO_I

And can you post a pic of your M1A ?
Old May 30, 2011, 07:10 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
Would a "loaded" model like mine be able to do the same?
I would think so, the only difference between the super match and the loaded would be the heavy stock and the weight of the barrel.

M14/M1A aren't that much different the the M1 Garands, look how well they hold up in adverse conditions.
Old May 30, 2011, 07:30 AM   #11
wingman

Quote:
Honestly, if I had a $1200 rifle, I would not torture it. I take good care of my guns, even the .22 that I paid under $200 for
My thoughts exactly, never understood why anyone would consider trying to wreck a tool purchased for use. I especially curious when I see a post that someone will say I fired my AR 3000 rounds never cleaned and it's still working, yeah it may still work but it's slowly being destroyed. Much of the reason I will not purchase a used auto rifle unless I know and trust the owner.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:10 AM   #12
kraigwy

These rifles are met to be used. The don't call rifle matches due to rain, snow, or what ever. These rifles can take what ever the environment throws at them. Its the shooter thats effected.

All it takes is a little bit of maintenance when the match is over.

The stocks of NM M14/M1As are impregnated with a sealant to keep moisture from soaking into the stock. If you'll notice there is a hole on the underside of the stock near the gas system, that allows gas to escape instead of remaining in the rifle per se, it also allows water to drain. The NM Flash Suppressor has been ream with a #7 Reamer to keep rain drops from interfering with the bullet as it exits the suppressor.

If one was to study the XM21 (NM M14 Sniper System) later, after being adapted the M-21) in SE Asia, you'll find it spent less time in the Maintenance Shops then the Marines M-40 systems.

Just about any modern rifle (and older vintage military rifles) will hold up into just about any environment. Just got to clean them when you get home.

I wont have a rifle that wont hold up. I've never had a rifle that gave up during a match or in Vietnam ( I did burn up a M-60 one time). But more then once the shooter of my rifles (me) screwed up.

Last edited by kraigwy; May 30, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:45 PM   #13
JerryHN

Just to be clear, I do not plan on "torturing" this beautiful rifle. I also do not intend on babying it. I would just like to have the peace of mind in knowing that my guns will not let me down.

I will post pics as soon as I can take it out on a hunt.

Tags
extreme conditions , m1a , m1a loaded , torture