The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Rem700bdl

8mm mag

hi, I have a 8mm rem mag.Yes it is a necked down 375 [email protected] is very accurate for being a bigger rifle.I'm reloading 150gr.sierra spitzers and getting a very happy grouping.Idon't know why this gun never became popular,once you shoot one I know you'll like it.
Old January 9, 2008, 09:00 PM   #2
ligonierbill

I looked at one years ago when the round was introduced by Remington. My Dad was coming to Idaho to hunt elk with me, and they were touting it as an elk slayer. Dad showed up with a 7 mm mag, and I think I found a 30-06 somewhere. We didn't kill an elk that trip, but Dad left me the 7 mm. Killed two with it the next few years. I think the big 8 mm did not catch on because the big bore elk gun of choice was already established - .338 mag. Now we have the .325 WSM, and it does not seem to be taking off either. Why load 150 gr. in the 8 mm? The advantage of these thumpers is sending long, heavy bullets downrange with tremendous retained energy.
Old January 9, 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Shoney

The 8mm Rem Mag was arguabley one of the finest cartridges introduced. It has lots of romp and stomp on both ends. It also has a lot going for it in the ballistics department.

Because there were so many "magnum" cartridges that had already been established, and because of the "fear" of heavy recoil, I think it was DOA. Had it been introduced 20-30 years earlier???????, who knows.

I think the heavier bullets would be a better selection.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; January 9, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old January 9, 2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Rem700bdl

8mm mag

Ijust started reloading on my own ,2 reasons for the smaller 150s is #1 to save my shoulder,#2 i want to try it on deer.I also have a 7mm mag & a 6mm

rem. I,ve shot deer with both and Idon't get much time to hunt anything else.
the 150s are very accurate and nice to shoot.
Old January 10, 2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Scorch

I owned and fired a Remington 700 in 8mm Rem Mag for 5 years. I picked it up in trade with dies, ammo, scope and mounts. I wondered why someone wanted to get rid of such a great rifle, but thought I was a great wheeler-dealer. What I discovered was:
1- The only bullet designed for the velocity of the 8mm Rem Mag was the Hornady 220 gr, most others would blow up on game. The Nosler Partition worked well. What the 8mm Rem Mag really needed was a 250 gr bullet, IMO.

2- In spite of the amount of powder you put into it, the 8mm Rem Mag case does not fill well. This leads to other issues of velocity spreads.

3- The 8mm Rem Mag shot flat and accurate, but I could not take the recoil and muzzle blast. I always likened it to having my head slammed in a car door. The fireball out of the muzzle would really dazzle you when you fire the rifle right at sundown.

4- It really didn't do as much as a 338 Win Mag was capable of, and bullets for the 338 are much more available.

When I traded it off with dies and ammo (no scope), the guy who got it must have wondered why I was letting it go, but thought he was a great wheeler-dealer.
Old January 10, 2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

There was a thread about the 8mm a couple of months ago.

My take on why it was never popular was mainly because:

1. It was 8mm.

2. It didn't offer anything that the .338 Win. already offered in a shorter cartridge.

3. It didn't live up to its potential. Factory loads for the 8mm were rather anemic compared to what they could/should have been.

4. Remington never offered a heavier bullet for it. I think the heaviest factory bullet in general circulation was 220 grains. Drop a 250 or 275 into it and it would have, I think, been a lot more interesting to people who want/need rifles in this class.

5. The press that Elmer Keith's comments got ("What the hell good is it?") in the gun magzines at the time it was introduced to writers in 1978 certainly didn't help, either.

Remington has an unfortunate history of introducing really good cartridges and totally chumping them.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 10, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
thekyrifleman

Rem 8mm Mag

I've owned and shot this for about 12 years. Also used the 150 gr Sierra for deer. Loaded to 3375 fps with RL 22 it gave sub MOA consistently. Problem is if you hit the deer up close that Sierra will fragment because it's not meant for such a high velocity. 180gr BT by nosler do much better. Also any of the other premiums, but quite frankly, it is way too much for deer. Shot one at a lasered 427 yds and bullet (150 Sierra)did its job perfectly. This round never gained much because of the 338 Win and IMO, it just kicks the snot out of you when going to heavier bullets. Just too much gun except for moose and the big bears. Since then, I've gone to the 7X57, 7mm-08, or 280 Rem. Lots more fun, lighter and they kill just as quickly.
Old January 10, 2008, 02:09 PM   #8
thekyrifleman

Rem 8mm Mag

Thought I'd add one more comment. Went to a HS Precision Al bedded synthetic stock for this beast...calmed the recoil quite a bit. helped accuracy also.
Old January 11, 2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Rem700bdl

thanks for the reply,I'll try the 180s,what powder & gr.would you recommend?
I have IMR4831,IMR4350,&IMR4064.I,ll keep the 150s for deer.
Old January 13, 2008, 01:00 PM   #10
thekyrifleman

8mm Mag

Always used RL 22 because it is a slow burner and supposed to be better for the big case. IMR 4831 should work well, but i would guess you won't get as much velocity because it is faster burn. for the Noslers stay with the Nosler manual. the new edition(#6) suggests 84 gr as a starting point for the 180 gr BT maxiing at 88gr. Work up slowly. take the most accurate load. Good luck.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Rem700bdl

thanks for the reply,I'll do just that , For some reason Ilike lot"s of powder with little bullets.Is this wrong .Even with the other guys advice,I still believe that I can kill any game in north america that she throws at me just as well as 308,3006,300,338,andthe weatherbys.I think this lowd kicking boomer just fits me.I,m not being smart,I'm just really like my 8, and I think it should be up ther with the 300 ultra,which I would like to know more about and perhaps one day get to shoot.I lsoa shoot a 7mm mag and trying to get 120s to shoot good , any advice?

hey The ky rifleman I like your replys ,but should I ask what the ky stands for ,or no,if you say no I will never ask again.
Old January 14, 2008, 06:24 PM   #12
thekyrifleman

8mm Mag

Might sometimes need KY You know when at work they say bend over!!!! but now retired...Originally from Western PA, got married again and moved to Northern KY which is where my wife is originally from. hence the handle. Stick to the slow burners, fill the case and just hang on!!! i also shoot a 7mm mag, have for over 40+ years. Loved the Hell out of it, but it just got too damn heavy to carry around, so I opted for the lighter cartridges, i.e., the 7mm-o8 and 280Rem. I guess you can tell I'm a fan of the 7mm bore.... the 08 is a Rem Ti, weighs 4 1/2 pounds, with scope and ammo,, less than 6! Kicks a bit, but it sure is light to tote all day long. Same with the 280, it is a Mtn rifle and this year I put a mcMillan Hunters Edge, ultra lite syn stock on it, and now it is about 6 1/2 pounds with scope and a full magazine. That's waht happens wneh you get old!!

Read any comments on the 8 mag and all will tell you it is big enough for anything on the North American Continent. if you really want to hype it, go to the Hawk bullet web site(www.hawkbullets.com). You can get bullets weighing up to 280gr for the 8mm. Designed with thick jackets to kick a$$ of anything you shoot.

I remember an early show of the Outdoor SPortsman, think, that was it, when one of the hunters took out a Kodiak Brown with the 7 mag and 175 gr bullets. Now that might be like shooting elephants with the 7X57, but it just shows you that bullet construction and placement are the key. Hope some of this has helped...have fun!!
Old January 14, 2008, 06:30 PM   #13
thekyrifleman

8mm mag

Sorry, forgot to answer your question re 7mm-120's....I had really good luck with H-4831....somwhere around 72-73 grs...it would one hole in my rifle..but remember..this is really on top so go slowly and look for all the pressure signs!!!!! Matter of fact, i used H-4831 for almost everything. some of the new powders should work well too. IMR 7828..that was the original powder and wasn't available in canister for a long time. Also, H-1000, and Retumbo should do well.
Old January 14, 2008, 07:06 PM   #14
Rem700bdl

thanks again for the 120 info,Ido have IMR4831 so I'll try it.I have 5to goto work for awhile so you won,t hear from me for 2 weeks or so .talk to you again.
Old January 23, 2008, 05:03 PM   #15
ForneyRider

Here is some data on .323 bullets I have been collecting for my brother's 8x57 Mauser. The 8mm Magnum uses the same bullets.

8x57Mauser (.323)*

Hornady - 125gr Interlock SP
Hornady - 150gr Interlock SP
Hornady - 170gr RN
Hornady - 195gr SP
Nosler - 180gr Ballistic tip
Norma - 123gr Full Jacket
Norma - 196gr Oryx $$$
Norma - 196gr Alaska
Norma - 196gr Vulkan
Nosler - 200gr AccuBond® & Partition®
Sierra - 150 gr. SPT Pro-Hunter 2400 Rifle