The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 31, 2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Bender711

laoded mags getting hit?

ive always wondered with the tac vest that are so popular now people are strapping lots of loaded magazines to their chest. now what would happen if they were to get shot throught one of thoes magazines? would the rounds explode or move out of the way or what?
Old December 31, 2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Ac1d0v3r1d3

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot9.htm

take a look there, apparently the rounds cook off, and the mags do very little to slow rifle bullets
Old December 31, 2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Bender711

thanks thts just what i wanted to know. i didnt expect the mags to stop much but they didnt make it worse at least.
Old December 31, 2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Your welcome, i always kind of wondered about that too

if you havent seen Theboxotruth.com before you might want to stop and take a look, its a really great website IMHO
Old January 1, 2006, 01:42 AM   #5
DTakas

Interesting article. Personally I don’t think that there was any evidence that the rounds fired through the mags weren’t slowed down at all. They simply came out the back. It would have been better if they shot something like a stack of news papers to test penetration of the rounds they were shooting and then put a similar stack behind the loaded mags and compared them the depth of penetration between them. Aside from that, very interesting. I have a galls 6 mag tactical vest. I’ll probably never use it in a combat situation but it’s good for holding spare mags and good to practice tactical reloads with. Glad to know if I ever get shot wearing it I won’t get 3 or 4 of the rounds that were in one of the mags going off and hitting me in one of my arms or something.
Old January 1, 2006, 02:01 AM   #6
Eghad

The Tac style vests we were issued by the Army could be worn over body armor. It had a corset type adjustment in the back and adjustable straps so you could downzise it also for wear without the vest.

NRA Life Member