The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 26, 2005, 06:51 PM   #1
GLP Standard

Moving target ranges?

Are there any outdoor gun ranges in North Carolina that anyone knows of, that either have moving targets, or where movement by the shooter and using different objects for cover are used? Im not really sure what these would be called, but my indoor gunrange that I go to is getting a little boring just standing there shooting off rounds at a target that doesnt move around at all. Id like to try something a little harder, and I thought it would be cool to try a gun range like one I described above. If there arent any in NC that you know of, where are there any? Id be willing to drive 100-150 miles to go to one just to try it out.

If anyone has seen the movie SWAT, the gun range that theyre on is kinda like the one I'm talking about. Anything where movement and cover is used...
Old December 26, 2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Blackwater OPS

Join the army
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old December 26, 2005, 08:58 PM   #3
okiejack

How much would you pay to practice on a moving target/popup target range? I've been thinking about setting something like this up, if it's worth it? But this type of range would be expensive to maintain, the insurance would be out of sight, and you could only let one shooter loose at a time.
Old December 26, 2005, 08:59 PM   #4
Weeg

www.trigger-time.com

They are in Carthage, about an hour from Bragg (main Post)

RW
Old December 26, 2005, 09:04 PM   #5
GLP Standard

Quote:
How much would you pay to practice on a moving target/popup target range? I've been thinking about setting something like this up, if it's worth it? But this type of range would be expensive to maintain, the insurance would be out of sight, and you could only let one shooter loose at a time.
I dont know what a good price to pay would be....How would it work? Like a membership thing, or pay for each visit/each time on the range? I can imagine it would be a hassle to maintain, and the risk is a lot higher than on a regular indoor or outdoor pistol range.
Old December 26, 2005, 09:19 PM   #6
okiejack

It would be a considerable investment in machinery and landscaping. I've got the land and the landscaping equipment.

Popup targets would be pretty simple to do. Other types of movement would be a bit trickier.

Interesting idea tho.

I'll do some research!
Old December 26, 2005, 09:37 PM   #7
GLP Standard

PM me when you get some more info on it ^
Old December 26, 2005, 10:13 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Popup targets would be pretty simple to do. Other types of movement would be a bit trickier.
For lateral target movement, here's a little something I came up with awhile back. Haven't had time to really try it though .

2" PVC pipe for both rails & dolly. Lay out two PVC rails, about 6" off the ground, running parallel about 2 feet apart. Length is up to you, but suggest supports about every 6 feet. Make a skeleton-frame dolly or cart with two 6 foot uprights. The platform is just a PVC rectangle using 4 elbows and two T-connectors inserted halfway in both sides of the dolly. Four 2-inch pulleys on drill rod can serve as wheels and axles to stay on the tracks. Probably will need weighed down with a sandbag or two. Propulsion is via a 12 volt starter motor (may have to gear it down) with two stacked drums, one for cable playout and the other for takeup. Use 1/8th inch steel cable, one end going from playout drum down the rails to the end, where it goes around a stationary pulley and back to the dolly. Other end goes from takeup drum, down the opposite way to a pulley, and back to the other side of the dolly. Old car battery for power; to reverse direction, reverse polarity on the starter wires. Cheap, simple, and easy to build (hopefully )

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 27, 2005, 05:22 PM   #9
Optical Serenity

Try calling a few police departments in your area. Around here, some of the depts allow non-LEO individuals to go to the ranges. Almost everytime I'm at the police ranges with my dept, there are those who are not cops there as well.