The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 21, 2005, 12:18 PM   #51
Doug.38PR

Okay okay, I'm not entirely convinced that my way really dangerous, but since it makes so many people uneasy I will ask this, where can I get some Python rubber grips with the finger fitting? (OP and Python are the same frame) That might make it easier to index the gun (although there are two tradoffs to doing that 1) the larger grips get in the speedloader's way somewhat and 2) the larger grips buldge more than the regular ones)
If nothing else, I'd have some good target grips. Been looking for some for while, can only find Detective Special rubber grips and Model 10 rubber grips, neither of which fit.
Perhaps when Colt brings the Python back in a few weeks I can order a set from them
Old December 21, 2005, 02:54 PM   #52
springmom

I'm glad to see your last post

Especially since our incident this week, I was thinking of you and your manner of holding a revolver. Whether or not you find the new grips, please, don't put your finger inside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot something or someone.

If you think you can carry a gun with your finger inside the trigger guard and not have a ND, you are kidding yourself. And if you think you could TRIP with your finger there and still not fire.... well, that is just not true.

Awkward or not, new grips or not, whatever: keep your finger out of the trigger guard or you WILL end up with an ND.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 21, 2005, 02:54 PM   #53
BigFunWMU

Try your local gun shop, if they do not have any, they can order them.

Google will also come up with a bunch of listings.
Old December 22, 2005, 02:19 AM   #54
RsqVet

Try Brownells --- the catalog or the website, or the Houghe website or any number of custom makers though they work in mostly wood, micarta or more exotic materials.
Old December 22, 2005, 04:44 PM   #55
EricO

Doug, look into the following phenomenon called inter-limb interaction, sympathetic squeeze response, startle response, and loss of balance response. All of these involve the involuntary contraction of the hand and finger muscles under unplanned conditions. Read it, read it again, and then think how the way you choose to grip a revolver is just asking for an ND.

Now, looking at your pictures they remind me of something that I do that (AFAIK) I'll credit to Mas Ayoob, since he's the only person I've ever heard mention or write about it. He recommends the following when reholstering - with the revolver, one can place the firing hand thumb up against the rear of the exposed hammer, which does the following - if, during the act of reholstering, the trigger gets caught on something and the hammer starts to move, you'll be recognizant of it due to the position of your finger. With the 1911, while reholstering with the hammer back and safety on - the firing hand thumb goes slighty over the top of the hammer, which has several advantages. One, it usually removes the pad of the hand from the beavertail safety, activating it. Two, if the trigger was to be pressed somehow, the thumb is holding back the hammer. Plus, of course, the manual safety and beavertail are on or activated. With a Glock, or other hidden hammer (striker) semi auto - one can place the thumb against the back of the slide which will keep the slide from going out of battery when holstering. This procedure also makes it easier (I find, and others too) to reholster past the 3 O'clock position in a canted holster. Some individual's anatomy (shoulders and such) make it difficult to attain that angle and doing the above makes it easier.

Of course, :-) All of this is accomplished with the trigger finger in the guard position (along the frame - straight or bent if you like that method), and not in the trigger guard.

EricO
Old December 22, 2005, 09:34 PM   #56
USP45usp

Just took these. The revolver is a Taurus 85UL 2in Snub in .38. Grips are much smaller than those on yours, and holding it the way that I am, have not retention problems:

I don't think it's the grips, I don't think that your holding it right. I don't know, just wanted to show off my new Taurus I guess and to show that you can have retention with very small grips.

Wayne

*edited: Yes, I know the house is dirty, I'm single and I'm a male, get over it

**edited again: Yes, I know it's loaded (in case that comes up)
Old December 24, 2005, 11:31 AM   #57
mbs357

Cripes, 45 mang, I hope you're warm.
Radiator AND a quartz heater.