The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 16, 2005, 08:31 PM   #26
Dave Haven

Quote:
Thank you very much...Dave Haven also said "In fact, Ruger recommends dry-firing to familiarize oneself with the firearm." Do you think that means with Snap caps or with out?
I read that in the Ruger manual for the "Old Army" revolver. In the case of the Ruger "Old Army" revolver, dry-firing definitely means without snap caps.
You could put caps on the nipples if you wanted to, but that wouldn't exactly be dry-firing.
Old December 16, 2005, 08:43 PM   #27
pierced456

Quote:
Unless the gun has a design issue with dryfiring, such as a rimfire, CZ52, CZ75, Star model B, etc, snap caps serve no purpose.
+ 1, most modern firearms especially semi-auto do not need snap-caps.
Old December 16, 2005, 11:06 PM   #28
9DM2

So snap caps don't work well in Semi Auto's?
Old December 16, 2005, 11:37 PM   #29
losangeles

Check out ebay. There's always snap caps there for sale at a good price!
Ruger Mk III Hunter - Mk III Target - 2x Ruger 10/22 - Ruger GP-100 - Ruger Single Six 9.5" - Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag 10" - S&W 637 - Taurus 85 - Glock 17 - CZ 75 B - CZ 452 - Remington 870 - Marlin 336 - Yugo SKS M59 - Swiss K31 - Russian Mosin Nagant M44 - Russian Mosin Nagant M91
My hobby site: http://www.shootershangout.com
Old December 16, 2005, 11:41 PM   #30
losangeles

Dryfiring is a good thing to practice for shooters. It teaches you a lot about firing a gun. I agree with the benefits of snap caps. Also, if you have a bit of a budget, you can use your backup gun of like make/model for dryfiring, practicing draws, foot movement, etc.
Ruger Mk III Hunter - Mk III Target - 2x Ruger 10/22 - Ruger GP-100 - Ruger Single Six 9.5" - Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag 10" - S&W 637 - Taurus 85 - Glock 17 - CZ 75 B - CZ 452 - Remington 870 - Marlin 336 - Yugo SKS M59 - Swiss K31 - Russian Mosin Nagant M44 - Russian Mosin Nagant M91
My hobby site: http://www.shootershangout.com
Old December 17, 2005, 01:47 AM   #31
Lycanthrope

My $2000 STI Edge has an estimated 5000 dry fires without snap caps.....and more live rounds through it than that. No visible wear and I don't intend on slowing down.
Old December 17, 2005, 01:49 AM   #32
Lycanthrope

I've dry fired my P89 thousands of times. The P89 is one rugged handgun.
Old December 17, 2005, 08:14 AM   #33
tegemu

1911's and 1911 type pistols can be dry fired safely and dry firing is strongly recommended to learn trigger control.
Old December 17, 2005, 08:27 AM   #34
tegemu

Pax, one of the most outstanding pieces of shooting advice I have ever encountered and that includes military service I gleaned several good points or reminders from your piece. It is so well done that I think it should be promulgated in other places than just in this thread. My personal thanks and I think the shooting community can give you a standing ovation for it as well.
Old December 17, 2005, 08:35 AM   #35
JDG

Ruger states to dry fire only with an empty magazine in the gun. JDG
Old December 17, 2005, 10:18 AM   #36
9DM2

Thanx everyone...Got about 23 more days to go..
Old December 17, 2005, 12:52 PM   #37
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

This thread was running parallel to the thread "Dry Shooting, Wear & Tear", with similar subject matter. I've merged the threads to keep everyone from getting dizzy while going back & forth .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 17, 2005, 01:04 PM   #38
Marky

dry firing

Thats another bottemless pit. The snaps I use are spring loaded to cushion the pin assembly, if you have nothing, we used to use a new pencil, eraser side of course but that was years ago, like 25 or so.Heres my personal take on it, a firing pin is made to hit something, thats that, and if someone wants to spend a grand on a gun and dry-fire it then they have my blessings, im not going to. I also have noticed that the people who say ''it dont hurt em'' will also tell you that cleaning hurts worse than firing. As for me, im using snaps. If your new to the gun world you might want to use the snaps for overcomming your natural desire to flinch.
Old December 22, 2005, 11:33 PM   #39
Malamute

If anyone doubts that there is a difference in the hammer impact when a gun is fired with a live round versus an empty chamber, only needs to dry fire on a fired case a few times. Listen to the sound of the impact on the fresh fired case then as you fire on it more times. the primer quickly dents in and the sound then changes. Firing a live round is less stressfull to the firing pin than dry firing.

As far as the "modern" designs with transfer bars being better for dry firing, I've dry fired tens of thousands of times with Smith & Wesson's with hammer mounted firing pins, and have had absolutly no breakage or problems in 30 some years of such use. I have broken 2 Ruger transfer bars in different guns when dry firing. Read the above pargraph if this does not make sense. The transfer bar is a skinny, angled piece of metal that takes all of the impact of the hammer dropping. Without the fresh primer or snap cap to cushion it, the bars CAN and sometimes DO break.
Old December 23, 2005, 01:58 AM   #40
Lycanthrope

And 16oz hammers hit nails all the time and are prone to failure.....um....maybe.

I've had rear sights shear off and series II plungers shear under normal use on Kimbers...My guns usually see 10,000+ rounds a year. Things break, but I don't think snap caps keep my firing pins safe. Of course, I have several guns with 25,000+ dry fires without problem.

If you do..then use 'em. If you want to change recoil springs every 500 rounds and use 2 shok buffs and zero +P ammo....then do so. Guns are for YOU and not for anything anyone on a forum tell you about them....particularly a defensive weapon.
Old December 23, 2005, 11:27 AM   #41
Doug.38PR

Every now and then I snap it off if the snap caps aren't around when practicing at home, but I have generally, as a precaution to the gun, I use snap caps now.
I'm told it causes wear on the firing pin and it will eventually snap off if there is nothing to coushin it when it is fired (A real bullet, an empty cartridge or snap caps)
Old December 23, 2005, 03:50 PM   #42
SIGSHR

Years ago an old time shooter and fellow Colt enthusiast showed me how he
used a small piece of rubber-say from a defunct bicycle inner tube-folded it
over and used that on his Colt Python with a frame mounted firing pin, thought that saved wear and tear on the gun.