The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 20, 2018, 05:31 PM   #1
UncleLoodis

Stuck Gas Regulator BAR 300 Win Mag

I inherited a Browning BAR 300 Win Mag. I never saw my father break it down after shooting it, so I thought I would go through it. Not knowing anything about the innards of a BAR, I watched a Youtube video and it seems that breaking it down would be reasonably simple. I am stuck though. I cannot remove the gas regulator--actually I should say it's stuck, not me. I know I need to remove it, but it is rusted/corroded/whatever and will not comply. I even tried putting an impact wrench on it with the biggest screwdriver tip I had. No luck. I tried spraying it with an inverted gas duster (on the regulator portion) to try to minimally shrink it...no luck. I have, at this point, mangled it a little, but I am not totally sad, as the regulator is just a screw in part. But I cannot get the darned thing out. The manual says to use a 5/8" open end wrench to loosen the block. Ha! Maybe on a new one, but not one that's not been removed in 40+ years. The rifle has great sentimental value and I was ringing a gong at 300 yards with it last Saturday, so I'd like to fix it up and use it for elk hunting or the like. Any ideas on how to remove the gas block? Does someone make a 5/8" square socket?....maybe I could put that on an impact driver.

Thanks much in advance.

U.L.
Old August 21, 2018, 07:57 AM   #2
9x19

No slight intended: Are you sure of the thread direction (right hand, vs left hand)?
Old August 21, 2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Dufus

Get a spray can of Kroil and soak the crap out of it for a day or so. Then start working it out.
Old August 21, 2018, 12:04 PM   #4
gshayd

x2 for Kroil and a soak in it
Old August 22, 2018, 09:08 PM   #5
UncleLoodis

9X19, no offense taken at all. It's right hand threads, according to Browning's manual. I'm not engineer, but yep, I'm sure I'm turning it the correct direction. Facing the the muzzle end, I'm trying to turn it counter-clockwise.

Gshayd, Dufus, I've never used Kroil. I did try some Tri-flow and am letting that soak in. I wish I could get the darned housing to somehow fit in my ultrasonic cleaner...that might loosen it up. I get a feeling that I may have to have a professional drill it out somehow. I'm really not keen on that though. If I could find a 5/8" square...socket...I could maybe put that on an impact wrench and try that. The face of the regulator is so short though--whoever designed it...grrrr. they could have made it just a little longer and a wrench would find a bit more purchase on it.

I thank you guys for your ideas. I will have to look for this Kroil, and will give it a shot before I let someone else work on it.

U.L.
Old August 22, 2018, 11:11 PM   #6
Dufus

I have worked with Kroil for almost 30years, and I/we called it miracle in a can. We used it so much at work that we bought it in spray cans and 55 gallon drums to use in plastic spray bottles. It is about the best penetrant I have ever used, and we used all kinds and brands over a 40 year work career.

I still have 2 cases in the garage that I bought post retirement.