The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 25, 2019, 12:59 PM   #51
OhioGuy

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Most likely, my Walther PPS with its 8+1 configuration and a spare 8 round magazine will remain my EDC under most conditions. The small revolver will play backup duty, or for those times when comfort reigns supreme. For instance, I'll soon have a 9 hour car trip coming up (both ways) when I'll really only be out in public during gas and food stops. I can see the j-frame providing that comfort and convenience. Do to my work environment, the only times I actually carry *all* day are sometimes on weekends, and so the size or weight of a carry piece never has factored that much into my decisions.

I've just about checked out from carrying a 15 round double stack -- that sucker gets heavy and for whatever reasons, I do not feel less prepared carrying 9+8 rounds than carrying 16+15 rounds.

But carrying 5 + 0 rounds on a regular basis does give me pause, although I can't articulate why, and to date, I've survived just fine needing 0+0.
Old November 25, 2019, 01:16 PM   #52
Lohman446

Unless you have a reason specifically to carry a revolver I would lean towards the semi-autos and I say that as someone who carries a revolver. A revolver is very seldom an answer in search of a question. For some people it is an answer to a question.

What do I mean by that? If you are not sure and do not have a specific reason(s) you want to use a revolver as a carry piece it is likely you are better served by one of the choices of semi-autos.

I am one of the people who ended up with a revolver but I have specific reasons having to do with ease of concealment
Old November 25, 2019, 02:13 PM   #53
AK103K

The one thing I dont get is, if I can have a gun of similar size, that carries two to three times the ammo, with generally faster reloads, thats generally easier to carry, and shoot, why wouldnt I?

It just doesnt make much sense to me to intentionally handicap myself unnecessarily.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:16 PM   #54
Lohman446

Quote:
The one thing I dont get is, if I can have a gun of similar size, that carries two to three times the ammo, with generally faster reloads, thats generally easier to carry, and shoot, why wouldnt I?

It just doesnt make much sense to me to intentionally handicap myself unnecessarily.
Similarity of dimensions are just that. The curves of a revolver, at least for me, make it carry much easier. I originally bought it for on my running belt but remembered how much I like how a revolver "fits". I have given up carrying it on a running belt because of practicality but there is more to how a pistol fits than dimensions.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:20 PM   #55
dyl

Quote:
For instance, I'll soon have a 9 hour car trip coming up (both ways) when I'll really only be out in public during gas and food stops. I can see the j-frame providing that comfort and convenience.
For car rides, I actually find IWB more accessible although less comfortable depending on the holster. Hybrid holsters with a wide backing feel nice if I'm sitting against something. Try drawing from your front pants pocket while driving - it isn't easy! You might have to straighten your leg first. But even knowing this, guess what - I still pocket carry most of the time.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:42 PM   #56
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Similarity of dimensions are just that. The curves of a revolver, at least for me, make it carry much easier. I originally bought it for on my running belt but remembered how much I like how a revolver "fits". I have given up carrying it on a running belt because of practicality but there is more to how a pistol fits than dimensions.
I guess a lot of it is perception and personal preference.

In the past, Ive carried on a daily basis, both full size revolvers (2"-4" K, L, and N frame Smiths ) and full size autos (1911, SIG's, Glocks etc), both IWB and OWB, and really didnt see much difference between them when doing so. If anything, the revolvers, because of their bulk, were a bit less comfortable IWB, but still doable.

OWB, the revolvers were a bit bulkier too, especially with leather holsters, and I dont remember any advantage to their shape, but again, not at all difficult to pull off.

I normally carry a full size handgun, and the "smaller" guns, when I carry them, are secondary/backups to it. I dont normally carry one as a primary.

Even in the heat of the summer, I find its just as easy to carry my 17 under my tee-shirt, as it is a 26 or J frame.

I guess the reality is, its just all about what you want. I know a lot of people bitch about carrying a Seecamp or LCP, etc. And when I hear stuff like that, all I can think of, is ithe Princess and the pea.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:56 PM   #57
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
For car rides, I actually find IWB more accessible although less comfortable depending on the holster. Hybrid holsters with a wide backing feel nice if I'm sitting against something. Try drawing from your front pants pocket while driving - it isn't easy! You might have to straighten your leg first. But even knowing this, guess what - I still pocket carry most of the time.
I cant get the money out of my pocket to pay a toll. Forget about getting a gun out. Besides, I already have to much junk in my pockets anyway.

I do use a Smart Carry, and that is very easy to draw from while sitting. They are actually the most versatile holsters I own/use, and wont be without one.

Normally, Im carrying a 17 AIWB, and its very comfortable and driving is a very comfortable and very accessible.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:56 PM   #58
Master Blaster

Quote:
Something that every person practicing personal protection should be focused on is a 100% hit rate for the first shot. None of us can afford the liability that comes with anything less. Because of this, the little j-frame or LCR pocket revolvers are ill-advised -- not because they have only five shots, but because they make a 100% hit rate for the first shot needlessly difficult.
Because as a civilian, I expect any encounters to be at 2 to 5 feet distance on a man size target, so a small revolver is plenty accurate for that self defense scenario.
Old November 25, 2019, 03:50 PM   #59
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
Because as a civilian, I expect any encounters to be at 2 to 5 feet distance on a man size target, so a small revolver is plenty accurate for that self defense scenario.
With that in mind, this is a good read. "Trained" cop vs bad guy at "5 feet".

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...AHMJ11/?page=1

Starts at page 32.

The distance was around 5-6 feet. 23 rounds expended (bad guy 9 rounds, cop 14) bad guy made one hit, cop, 7 hits. Total time, less than 10 seconds.
Old November 25, 2019, 04:20 PM   #60
spacemanspiff

People carry with what they are confident in. Who cares if you have more or less bang-bang in your boomstick than someone else?

I often don't carry spare mags, just a plain ol 1911 with 8 rounds. Does that make me crazy?

though if I expect to go into a Walmart I do tend to put a spare mag in the pocket.
Old November 25, 2019, 04:58 PM   #61
Nanuk

I will take a 357 magnum over a 9mm any day, and usually over a 45 too.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:09 PM   #62
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I often don't carry spare mags, just a plain ol 1911 with 8 rounds. Does that make me crazy?
Comments:
  • In my opionion , few would be able to reload in a real attack,,,
  • but--having an extra mag to clear a malfunction is better than not having one (I don't carry one).
  • The much lower sound pressure of the .45ACP can be a distinct advantage over a .357 Magnum.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:16 PM   #63
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
In my opionion , few would be able to reload in a real attack,,,
but--having an extra mag to clear a malfunction is better than not having one (I don't carry one).
If you don't have time to reload, then you're not going to have time to clear a malfunction using a second magazine either.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:17 PM   #64
Nanuk

Quote:
The much lower sound pressure of the .45ACP can be a distinct advantage over a .357 Magnum.
I disagree. Noise and recoil, at least at the level we are discussing is a range issue, not a fight issue when adrenaline and sensory deprivation are happening.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:19 PM   #65
walnut1704

Now you got me wondering what the derringer guys are thinking....
Old November 25, 2019, 05:37 PM   #66
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
If you don't have time to reload, then you're not going to have time to clear a malfunction using a second magazine either.

Hence my three gun solution.... “Carolina Reload (2 backup firearms instead of carrying ammo reloads).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 25, 2019, 05:55 PM   #67
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Thats assuming you need a second magazine. Most auto malfunctions clear with the original mag in the gun, and its usually done in only a second or two, if youre practiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
Hence my three gun solution.... “Carolina Reload (2 backup firearms instead of carrying ammo reloads).
Or, you can carry a gun that doesnt require a reload or gun switch so quickly.

This day and age, theres a pretty good chance, youre already likely at a 2-3:1 disadvantage from the git go.

It would be interesting though, to see which plays out quicker, someone practiced at reloads, or someone who intends to grab another gun.

Of course, thats going on the assumption both are carrying guns that would need to reload that quick.

Im curious too as to how you practice those quick gun changes. Chuck the first gun on the ground and go for number two? Or what?
Old November 25, 2019, 06:17 PM   #68
Scorch

Quote:
Why don't revolver carriers worry about capacity?
I remember being told that the typical self-defense shooting occurs at 5-10 feet and involves less than 3 shots being fired. What difference does it make if you have a 15 round magazine or 5 rounds if you are likely going to fire less than 3? Unlike in the movies, once the shooting starts people try to vacate pretty quickly.
Old November 25, 2019, 06:26 PM   #69
Areoflyer09

I went from semi autos to revolvers. At this point it’s not just for carry, my last semi auto pistols are 22s. The more time I spend with wheels guns, the less I enjoy semi autos.

For carrying though, I went from a Sig 938 (6 rounds) to a CZ P-01 (14 rounds) o a CZ PCR (14 rounds) to a 3” Model 60 (5 rounds).

I struggled with the small size of the 938 using the flush mags and mine would eject the extended mag every time under recoil. That moved me to the CZ P-01/PCR, I liked it well enough. When I made the switch to shooting wheel guns more and more, it was a natural progression to carrying one. I picked up a 60-4 and it’s become one of my favorites.

So for me, the decision was made to carry a revolver because it’s what I’m comfortable with and it’s what I enjoy shooting the most. I’ve never considered capacity when making the decisions.
Old November 25, 2019, 06:51 PM   #70
HighValleyRanch

AK, what I wrote was in context of what the other poster wrote:
Quote:
-having an extra mag to clear a malfunction is better than not having one

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; November 25, 2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old November 25, 2019, 08:19 PM   #71
2damnold4this

Quote:
I normally carry a full size handgun, and the "smaller" guns, when I carry them, are secondary/backups to it. I dont normally carry one as a primary.

Even in the heat of the summer, I find its just as easy to carry my 17 under my tee-shirt, as it is a 26 or J frame.

I guess the reality is, its just all about what you want. I know a lot of people bitch about carrying a Seecamp or LCP, etc. And when I hear stuff like that, all I can think of, is ithe Princess and the pea. ....

....I do use a Smart Carry, and that is very easy to draw from while sitting. They are actually the most versatile holsters I own/use, and wont be without one.

Normally, Im carrying a 17 AIWB, and its very comfortable and driving is a very comfortable and very accessible.

That's great if you can pull that off. Most people can't pull off a full sized auto under their britches and Smartcarry recommends not going too big in their article: Bigger is not better . If you can pull it off, that's great.

I can't stuff a full sized pistol or revolver in my pants and still work but I can carry a 342 which weighs about 12oz loaded. It's easy to carry in a pocket, whether that be in a jacket, fleece or a pants pocket. It's very easy to carry in a AIWB holster that clips to a belt and doesn't trap the heat that a Smartcarry holster does. A loaded G17 weighs over two pounds while my 342 loaded weighs about 3/4 pound.

Obviously a G17 is a much more capable pistol than an Airweight or Airlight snubby but my G17 sat in the safe for years until I sold it while the J frames were carried. If it was as practical to carry full sized pistols as it is to carry a light weight snubby or subcompact semi-auto , no one would make snubbies or subcompact semi-autos. Of course its a compromise but not everyone's vocation, body, or environment allows them to stuff a full sized pistol in under their pants.
Old November 25, 2019, 09:35 PM   #72
Nick_C_S

Quote:
The much lower sound pressure of the .45ACP can be a distinct advantage over a .357 Magnum.
I agree. Sound pressure should be a consideration. And that's why my home defense firearm is a 1911 with 230gn ammo (heavier slugs tend to be not quite as loud). 45 ACP has a much lower pitch than .357 Mag; the difference is huge. Discharging a 357 Magnum indoors is LOUD to say the least. I know. Because in 1984, I did so accidentally (Remington 125gn JHP - back when factory ammo was much more stout). My ears are still ringing; and will continue to do so until the day I die.

I don't carry my 1911 (I have three, actually) but have considered putting it (the home defense piece that is unmodified) on my permit - just haven't ever decided to do so.

I have chosen to carry a .357 despite the loud report for two reasons: 1): Chances are, if I did need to discharge, it would be outdoors - or at least in an open spaced indoor environment. 2): Also, I carry Speer's 158 GDHP's and they are slightly de-tuned. They are not as loud as many other factory defense offerings - as I have thoroughly tested at the range (at great monetary expense, I might add ). . . . All my testing was done with hearing protection; just to be clear. All this testing was also done through a chronograph - so I have real world velocity data.
Old November 25, 2019, 09:52 PM   #73
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
That's great if you can pull that off. Most people can't pull off a full sized auto under their britches and Smartcarry recommends not going too big in their article: Bigger is not better . If you can pull it off, that's great.

I can't stuff a full sized pistol or revolver in my pants and still work but I can carry a 342 which weighs about 12oz loaded. It's easy to carry in a pocket, whether that be in a jacket, fleece or a pants pocket. It's very easy to carry in a AIWB holster that clips to a belt and doesn't trap the heat that a Smartcarry holster does. A loaded G17 weighs over two pounds while my 342 loaded weighs about 3/4 pound.

Obviously a G17 is a much more capable pistol than an Airweight or Airlight snubby but my G17 sat in the safe for years until I sold it while the J frames were carried. If it was as practical to carry full sized pistols as it is to carry a light weight snubby or subcompact semi-auto , no one would make snubbies or subcompact semi-autos. Of course its a compromise but not everyone's vocation, body, or environment allows them to stuff a full sized pistol in under their pants.
I dont carry a 17 in my Smart Carry. Normally, its a 26.

I have carried guns as big as a 19 or P239 in one, and with the right pants, it wasnt to difficult and still very doable. Wouldnt be my first choice though.

I originally was using one of my Seecamps in the SC, but then realized, I could carry the 26 (with a 17 reload along) just as easily, and it works great, especially in places youre not supposed to be armed.

The 26 is about the same size as one of my J frames, but handles and shoots like a near full sized gun. And with a quick mag swap, can basically be one.

I lead a pretty active lifestyle, both at work and play, and even when youre climbing in and out of ditches, equipment, doing very physical things, its still very comfortable and very concealable, and thats wearing a pair of Carhartt's or Dickie carpenter type pants.

Now, the 17 in an AIWB holster at 12:30-1:00, is also very comfortable and easy to do, and also not at all uncomfortable for 18+ hour days. A 4" S&W revolver would be just as comfortable and easily done, but whats the point?

Look, this is all about "want", as opposed to "cant".

I "want" to carry guns I shoot very well with, and that will give me the best chance at "most" anything I might need it for. So far, in about four decades of doing so daily, I havent found that to be a chore or problem.

If at all possible, Id prefer not to compromise, but for those situations where I have to, the 26 is the compromise.

And Im not telling anyone they cant carry what they want, not at all. Do what you want. Im just saying, if you want to, you can, if you put your mind to it.

"Cant" is such a negative word, and is thrown around, an awful lot.
Old November 25, 2019, 10:39 PM   #74
briandg

Because I know that God is on my side. If I ever die in a fight it's not going to be because i was carrying a revolver. i'll be dead because something went wrong.
Old November 25, 2019, 11:05 PM   #75
22-rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Honestly, if six rounds of .357 Magnum doesn't solve my problem, a handgun was never the solution.
The fireball alone would probably burn one to death.
Closed Thread