The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 13, 2019, 10:12 PM   #1
ocharry

Howa 243

Hey guys I was at the local gun shop yesterday and they had a howa 243....

I have seen the howa stuff around but I never looked at one...wow ....pretty dang nice rifle I thought...nice stock...was a muted green kinda color...plastic... But the action was way smooth....I was impressed somewhat.... Guy said they are made by weatherby ?????guess I spelled that right

So...what is the wisdom of the crowd???? Any you guys or gals have one of these howa rifles ????

What you think???

Reviews please...lol

Ocharry
Old November 13, 2019, 10:16 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

Howas are nice rifles for the money. I have two weatherby vanguards which are the same action as Howa 1500s. They are accurate and well made.
Old November 13, 2019, 10:21 PM   #3
2ndtimer

Actually, the Weatherby Vanguard line is made by Howa. Nice rifles, smooth action, a little heavier than some. A Japanese copy of the Sako 85 action. Decent accuracy in the one I had, better accuracy in the Weatherby Vanguard. The newer models have a much improved trigger over the older one I had.
Old November 13, 2019, 10:40 PM   #4
ocharry

Yeah I kinda thought sako when I opened the action...but it was smooth...I really liked it..lol...like I need another rifle

Ocharry
Old November 14, 2019, 05:43 PM   #5
NHSHOOTER

Its not a question of needing another rifle, its a matter of want, I too have 3 Weatherby Vanguard rifles they are smooth and very accurate and as said made by Howa..
Old November 14, 2019, 06:18 PM   #6
reynolds357

Hard to beat Howa at each price point. They have high end stuff now.
Old November 15, 2019, 12:25 AM   #7
Polinese

I've got a heavy barreled 308 from howa and I absolutely love it. I personally prefer it over the rem 700. I've got mine setup with a bell and carlson stock and a SWFA 10x scope. Haven't gotten to shoot it past 200 here in the Empire of New York but it's been very accurate at that distance with American Eagle 168gr
Old November 15, 2019, 01:35 AM   #8
bamaranger

micro

That little Howa Micro has been whispering to me for a while now, but I have thus far resisted its taunt.
Old November 15, 2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Ernie Bishop

Howa's are good guns...Have you bought it yet???
Old November 15, 2019, 10:32 AM   #10
ocharry

not yet Ernie,,,i was up there last night for mens night,,,this place is really a farm store,,,but they do have a nice gun rack and a good supply of ammo,,,i have bought from them before

last night was 11% off guns and ammo,,,so that was gona put it right at $440 +tax,,,this is the combo set with a scope,,,i looked at buds and that isnt a smokin deal but it is a ok deal

tomorrow is deer opener so i got other things on my mind right now,,,maybe they will sweeten the pot some for Christmas...and i prolly should sell something to make way for this one,,,i was really thinking about some kind of AR platform in 243,,,and then i saw this howa,,,,,funny how the winds blow ya around,,,lol

ocharry
Old November 15, 2019, 02:08 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...by Weatherby..." As mentioned, Howa made the Vanguard for Weatherby. The Howa M1500 is exactky the same rifle. So which model the shop has sort of matters. Sort of because Howa makes pretty good kit regardless of model.
"...AR platform in 243..." Wouldn't be "some kind". It'd be an AR-10 in .243. Wilson makes a couple. Cheap they ain't though. MSRP is a bit over $3300USD.
Rummage around here for more reasonable prices.
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...ifles/243-win/
Old November 15, 2019, 05:28 PM   #12
ThomasT

From what you are describing that might be the Ranch model with a Houge stock and a 20" barrel. A gun I have wanted for a long time. And that price while not great isn't too bad either. I just bought a new 243 and really like that round. Where did you say this store is...
Old November 15, 2019, 07:27 PM   #13
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
Guy said they are made by weatherby
It would be more accurate to say Weatherbys were made by Howa. Once upon a time all Weatherbys, including the Mark V, were made by Howa in Japan. Mark V production has moved, but the Weatherby Vanguard is still made by Howa and is mechanically identical to the Howa 1500. The main differences are in stock shape and a few cosmetic touches.

They tend to run a tad on the heavy side, but are quality rifles.
Old November 15, 2019, 10:36 PM   #14
ocharry

Yes T.O....AR10...I was thinking of building one...looking at the aero 5 series upper and their lower....

Ratshooter...no secret here...the store is in Hannibal Missouri....farm & home

This rifle could be the ranch ...not sure...it probably is 20".... But not a heavy barrel...had a really nice feel to it....and the silky smooth action is what really hit the like button for me

Just thinking ... in that 243 it would be a really good big varmint gitter...and deer and pretty much anything around here gun....I do lean on my 223 now for the varmints

Never really been around that 243 cal before....I set one up in an oncore for my boy and I think it is a really nice round....and I also thought ol dad may need one...lol

But I may need to think on this a little harder....lol...after deer season that is

I got deer on the brain right now....we will see in the morning

Ocharry
Old November 16, 2019, 07:27 AM   #15
std7mag

I had bought my daughter a Weatherby Vangard in 243 (first gen?).
Action itself was no better or worse than the Savages i've bought over the years.
The barrel was a piece of crap. Must have been bored slightly off center.
Groups would open up exponentially as it heated.
Only rifle i was happy to get rid of!

I hear the second generation is much better. But i'm not about to go down that rabbit hole again!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 16, 2019, 11:35 AM   #16
treg

I bought a Howa 7mm-08 for my daughter. It was a great round for her, but the rifle was POS. She went back to managed recoil in the BLR.

I have a Ruger American now that is far and away a better rifle. It's not even close.
Old November 16, 2019, 12:47 PM   #17
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by treg View Post
I bought a Howa 7mm-08 for my daughter. It was a great round for her, but the rifle was POS. She went back to managed recoil in the BLR.

I have a Ruger American now that is far and away a better rifle. It's not even close.
What was wrong with the Howa? I have never seen a bad one.
Old November 16, 2019, 12:51 PM   #18
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
I had bought my daughter a Weatherby Vangard in 243 (first gen?).
Action itself was no better or worse than the Savages i've bought over the years.
The barrel was a piece of crap. Must have been bored slightly off center.
Groups would open up exponentially as it heated.
Only rifle i was happy to get rid of!

I hear the second generation is much better. But i'm not about to go down that rabbit hole again!
Did the group open up because of bad barrel or because of the pressure point on stock? I never expect thin barreled rifles to shoot great hot. If I did, I would think my $1100 mod 700mountain rifle was a piece of junk. The cold barrel shot is the money maker on a big game rifle.
Old November 18, 2019, 02:36 AM   #19
ftttu

I recently picked up a Howa 1500 mini action in 6.5 Grendel. I only have a box through it for barrel break in so far, and it shoots a jagged hole at 25 even with my tremors. It claims to be a sub-MOA guaranteed rifle so we’ll see next time out when I site it in at 100 yards.

Also, Academy’s 10% Vet’s Day discount plus an extra 5% for the most minor paint transfer ‘damage’ sweetened the deal. It looks goofy with the Stars and Stripes Design, but it will eventually get cerakoted in camo or some flat earth tone.
Old November 18, 2019, 05:36 AM   #20
Tony Z

I picked up a Howa 1500 in .223, with heavy barrel and green Hogue shot. At 50, it shoots a jagged 3 shot group, with my 67 year old eyes and breathing issues.

One of my better buys, to say the least, and I see a Weatherby Vangaurd in my future, just to have a "prettier" version!
Old November 18, 2019, 07:18 AM   #21
std7mag

Reynolds357,
I did free float it after i found out it's nature. Did not improve.
I then tried applying pressure points in the forestock. Different thicknesses, at different positions.
I replaced the base, rings, scope. All torqued using a Fat Wrench.
I had other people that i know are decent marksmen shoot it.

I've never had any such issues with any of my Savages, or Rugers.
Heck, even the Rossi R243 never gave any such issues.

I burned a lot of powder in that rifle trying to get it to shoot. I won't buy another Howa/Vangard.

And for the price, i'd buy a Savage action over a Howa action.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 18, 2019, 09:51 AM   #22
taylorce1

My daughter loves her Howa rifle, I bought it for $399 and dropped it in the Alpine stock that I purchased for another $200. She's been a killing fool ever since.

The biggest problem with this rifle for my daughter is she has a hard time staying sub MOA with 150 grain and heavier bullets. This is simply due to recoil, so we stay with 130 or lighter bullets for all her hunting in .308 Win and it works very well. Anyway I've been so impressed with how this rifle shoots I'm thinking of building another faux Alpine rifle in 6mm Creedmoor making it the rifle the .243 Alpine should have been.
Old November 18, 2019, 09:21 PM   #23
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Reynolds357,
I did free float it after i found out it's nature. Did not improve.
I then tried applying pressure points in the forestock. Different thicknesses, at different positions.
I replaced the base, rings, scope. All torqued using a Fat Wrench.
I had other people that i know are decent marksmen shoot it.

I've never had any such issues with any of my Savages, or Rugers.
Heck, even the Rossi R243 never gave any such issues.

I burned a lot of powder in that rifle trying to get it to shoot. I won't buy another Howa/Vangard.

And for the price, i'd buy a Savage action over a Howa action.
Its just odd. I have never seen a Vangard that was not sub MOA. Quality wise, I see them better than Savage. Barrels are definitely better than Savage.