The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 6, 2019, 08:01 PM   #1
edcwhitewolf92

Has anyone used precision rifles?

What are your favorite long range precision rifles? I really liked the upper tier tikka, but it looks like there are a lot more coming onto the market lately.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:10 PM   #2
RC20

I make my own from Savage receivers.

Yes I like them a lot. As its bench rest heavy is what counts (stability and less felt recoil in larger calibers).
Old February 6, 2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I have a FN SPR that has the barrel shortened to 18” and a surefire brake/suppresor mount installed. Its an awesome shooter, but i would not want to carry it 10k
Old February 7, 2019, 02:32 AM   #4
handlerer2

I own, shoot and reload for a Cooper MDL 22. A heavy Varmint type rifle chambered in 6.5x284. This is not an economy rifle. It is also not a rifle that you want to tote for very far at all.

It's is a single shot and remarkably accurate, considering that I don't do some of the steps that match shooters use. I don't weigh every case, and don't gauge for run-out.

The first handload that I tried grouped just at .3".

I have to say, that if you can afford it, get the best rifle that you can. Tikka's have a reputation for excellent accuracy, but I consider them excellent sporter type rifles, not a real precision rifle. I believe that if you don't manhandle them too much that the bolt won't break, as they are prone to do.

A more affordable and reportedly very accurate alternative might be the Ruger Precision rifle, or a Range certified Weatherby Vanguard.

Almost every maker makes a Precision type rifle now, I believe. You can shop now like never before for this type of rifle.

The state of the art of rifle making has advanced by leaps and bounds since I bought my first magnum rifle in 1976, a MDL 700 ADL, 7mag. I was delighted to get 1.5" 5 shot groups. Now days that is considered marginal, but back then that was very respectable.

You will get endorsements for everyones favorite rifle, but you can't really go too far wrong with a quality rifle brand. Take your pick.
Old February 7, 2019, 05:07 AM   #5
Hawg

I have one I had built out of an 03A3 receiver.
Old February 7, 2019, 07:09 AM   #6
Mobuck

send a Savage 110 action and a signed blank check to Gordy Gritters @ Pella Iowa
Don't know if he's still in business but that used to be the best way to get a "precision rifle".
Old February 7, 2019, 07:47 AM   #7
std7mag

Heck, send your Savage action and blank check to me!

I build mine. But i'm not a longrange match shooter.
Mine are hunting rifles that i can shoot long range.
Most built on Savage actions.
Did one build on a commercial Mauser action.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 7, 2019, 09:20 AM   #8
TXAZ

TrackingPoint 6.5 Creedmoor.
It is very repeatable out to 1000-1200 yards.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 7, 2019, 10:51 AM   #9
LineStretcher

While not often thought of as precision rifles, I have a Weatherby Mark V six lug .308 Threat Response Rifle with a 20" bull barrel. I tore it down and checked it from top to bottom and it is, out of the box, as "on axis" as any Rem 700 that I've blue printed. They come factory in a fully bedded receiver B&C stock with the barrel free floated. The TRR was only made from 2002-2004 and in .223 Rem or .308 Win. If you happen to come across one, they are going for about 1100.00.

According to rumor, Weatherby was targeting the military sniper and law enforcement sniper audience. It was rejected because it is not ambidextrous and does not have a detachable magazine. That's been remedied in their current Tactical rifle products but those have big price tags.

The rifle shows a lot of promise and I'm currently breaking it in. Once I have 50 rounds down the tube I'll start working up loads for it.

One thing I'm not 100% liking about it is it's 1-12 twist rate. I'm currently breaking it in with 200g ELD-X bullets that I happen to have a lot of. I think it will do better with 175g ELD-M's.

Last edited by LineStretcher; February 7, 2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old February 7, 2019, 04:21 PM   #10
ilmonster

Lots of truly good precision rifles out there these days! Remington (I have a 700 SPS Tac with a Timney trigger and B&C stock which is a 1/2 MOA shooter. Rem also has the most aftermarket support), Tikka (super smooth actions), Howa (little bit of a Rem 700 clone), Savage (easily changed barrels), Ruger Precision Rifle (all the features you need and a good value), Bergara, etc. Then the high end ($2,000+) brands like GA Precision, Big Horn, Kelby, Accuracy International - i.e. how much do you want to spend.

You mentioned Tikka. I think most folks would agree it is a great starting point with excellent accuracy, good triggers, smooth actions and not crazy expensive. The aftermarket is also stepping up with accessories for the brand with triggers, stocks, etc. Shot a Tikka T3xA1 at a demo day and really made me want to get one! Great rifles.

Last edited by ilmonster; February 8, 2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old February 7, 2019, 06:27 PM   #11
Drm50

Factory the only ones I felt that were precision were Rem 40x. I have had several custom
varment guns built on 03s, 98s and Win 70 actions with premium barrels and triggers all
224 or 243 bores. One 300 mag.
Old February 8, 2019, 03:34 AM   #12
handlerer2

I have to disagree with ilmonster in that the Howa /Vanguard is clone of the MDL 700. I have owned both.

The Vanguard is more similar to a Sako FinnBear than a MDL 700.

Weatherby used the Sako design for the first generation of production, but with Howa changed it enough to avoid patent infringement. This design is not drilled bar stock, with a washered recoil lug. It is machined from a forged billet with an integral recoil lug. The bolt on the M700 is fused alloyed and not a solid piece. The bolt on the Howa/Vanguard is machined from a solid billet handle and all.

I'm not really bashing the drilled pipe designs, they are capable of superior accuracy, almost every rifle on the market is of this design.

The exceptions are MDL70 WIn, MDl 77 Ruger, Mdl 98. All CRF designs, but the Weatherby MKV, and Vanguard are the only push feed designs that I can think of that aren't round bottomed. Maybe that why I own them.

Just saying they are very different. Not necessarily superior.
Old February 8, 2019, 09:26 AM   #13
ilmonster

Handlerer2, you are correct in your description of the Howa/Weatherby actions. I was just suggesting that the Howa actions were closer to a Rem 700 than a Ruger, Savage, etc. They both have a somewhat open loading port area (compared to a Tikka for instance), a 90' bolt throw, have the same scope mounting hole pattern if using a 2 piece scope base, etc. Below the action (recoil lugs, etc.) they are different and like you describe. Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by ilmonster; February 8, 2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old February 8, 2019, 09:29 AM   #14
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlerer2 View Post
I have to disagree with ilmonster in that the Howa /Vanguard is clone of the MDL 700. I have owned both.

The Vanguard is more similar to a Sako FinnBear than a MDL 700.

Weatherby used the Sako design for the first generation of production, but with Howa changed it enough to avoid patent infringement. This design is not drilled bar stock, with a washered recoil lug. It is machined from a forged billet with an integral recoil lug. The bolt on the M700 is fused alloyed and not a solid piece. The bolt on the Howa/Vanguard is machined from a solid billet handle and all.

I'm not really bashing the drilled pipe designs, they are capable of superior accuracy, almost every rifle on the market is of this design.

The exceptions are MDL70 WIn, MDl 77 Ruger, Mdl 98. All CRF designs, but the Weatherby MKV, and Vanguard are the only push feed designs that I can think of that aren't round bottomed. Maybe that why I own them.

Just saying they are very different. Not necessarily superior.
Because I own them all also, I concur. The Howa 1500 is also different from the Vanguard in that the Vanguard is built to Weatherby specs. The Series 2 Vanguards even more so but to the average person the only immediately recognizable difference will be the traditional fluting on the bolt. Both rifles shoot well as does the new 700.
Old February 8, 2019, 10:20 AM   #15
Rimfire5

I don't know if it qualifies by your standards but I bought a 6.5mm Creedmoor Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision with a 26 inch barrel and a Precision Target Accu-trigger that came from the factory set at 10 oz. It cost me $1,095 NIB.

It is my most accurate rifle and has averaged 0.363 for over 500 5-round groups.
The top 25 loads average 0.284.
My $2,500 Les Baer Super Varmint .223 averages 0.408 for 388 5-round groups at 100 yards although the top 25 loads average 0.277.
Old February 8, 2019, 10:35 AM   #16
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire5 View Post
I don't know if it qualifies by your standards but I bought a 6.5mm Creedmoor Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision with a 26 inch barrel and a Precision Target Accu-trigger that came from the factory set at 10 oz. It cost me $1,095 NIB.

It is my most accurate rifle and has averaged 0.363 for over 500 5-round groups.
The top 25 loads average 0.284.
My $2,500 Les Baer Super Varmint .223 averages 0.408 for 388 5-round groups at 100 yards although the top 25 loads average 0.277.
I have to agree. I have this same rifle. I also have that rifle in .243 & .260. All 3 are silly accurate. I reload for all 3. Some of the most accurate rifles I have shot.
Old February 8, 2019, 02:23 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...and blank check to me!..." A signed blank cheque. snicker.
I have a 1944 manufacture 1903A4 Springfield that'll shoot one hole groups. You think that's a precision rifle?
Tikka makes hunting rifles, primarily. Even their T3 Sporter is a hunting rifle in a laminated stock.
Old February 8, 2019, 03:31 PM   #18
Bfglowkey

Factory as is precision rifle: Rueger Precision Rifle in whichever caliber above 6mm Creedmoor...to include the now chambered Magnum rounds) I own one in 6.5 Creedmoor and out the gate it shot Hornady Black ammo in 0.4 MOA groups (A real marksman did that not me...I bested at 0.80 MOA but I was new to LRPS at the time) Barrel swapping is a piece of cake if you get the AR tool and I can now go from 6, 6.5 and 308 in 15-20 minutes. All 3 barrels will shoot lights out and better then me.

Savage 12 FV Cabela's Special- A hidden gem if you see them on sale get one. I have one in 308, 22-250 and recently 204 Rueger. All placed in various after market stocks. All shoot and shoot well. Easy to tune handloads for. Biggest gripe is blind magazine and heavy bolt lift with the occasional ejection issue....all fixable if you take some time to research the how to.

Howa 1500 - Just got a barreled action in 6.5 Grendel and I am very pleased. 20"HB threaded with 5 rd mag. Bedded in a Boyds or placed in a chassis....it will please.

These are all budget minded but very capable options depending on what you want to do. If you enjoy tinkering the Savage 12 FV is your Huckleberry. If you want do just pick it up and shoot the RPR is going to get you out the gate and lickity split. Howa allows you to pick your poison and how you take it. Notable mention goes to the Rueger American Predator Rifles. Crappy stocks but shoot like the dickens and in the right caliber will get you to 1000 yds as is for a very solid price.

Tikka's are smooth and shoot amazing but I think most of them are better suited for hunting unless its the chassis model. Bergeras are much more refined but also reflects it in the price.
Old February 12, 2019, 06:13 AM   #19
BeeShooter

Yes. The 6mm and 6.5mm are favorites. The PRS rifle is normally a mag fed rifle. Pending on the match, the rules governing are from the PRS or the NRL. In the 6mm bore the Dasher and Creedmoor and 6XC are the most popular. In the 6.5mm bore the 6.5x47 and Creedmoor are popular. However the 7mm/08 has got a promising future with it heavier bullet. These are all short action cartridges. Competitive rifles will cost you $2000 to $8000( including optics). Almost all are custom made rifles. I've never seen a competitive stock barrel being used. On the cheap - a savage or a remage gun with a McGowen barrel on comfortable stock like the Bell&Carlson with Vortex optics would be something to consider.

Tags
bolt action , long range , precision rifles , tikka