The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2019, 08:30 PM   #1
jason.h

The New SIG P210

Hi Guys!
My friend recently bought a Bren-ten 10mm pistol for a bit more than 3k. Neither of us are particularly good shots but we both consistently shot sub 2" groups at 7 yards, by far the best either of us have ever shot a pistol.
Now I want to buy something with that level of accuracy in 9mm and am looking into the new Sig p210. I've heard the old ones are basically the finest pistols ever made, anyone know if the new ones are amazingly accurate as well?
I've seen them for About 1100, and the target models for 1500. Are the target models worth the increase in price?
Also open to other pistol suggestions in that same price range.

Thanks!
Old November 16, 2019, 10:28 PM   #2
Brit

I borrowed one from an Army Major, to shoot a match. Out of this world, incredible trigger. So accurate. Met an Egyptian Police Officer in Adan, on our 5-week voyage to Australia.

He had it in a hand-built holster. I said, "Is that issue?" He said "Well...! So I guess not.
Until this pistol came to be, service 9mm pistols were not noted for accuracy. Especially with service Ammo.
Old November 16, 2019, 10:42 PM   #3
rock185

I've been a 210 fan since the '80s, and sure wish I'd kept them all. I prefer the target models just due to the adjustable sights, but would actually prefer the standard model's grips. I doubt there is any intrinsic accuracy difference in the new P210A Standard and Target models. Within my humble experience, the P210s, whether Swiss, German or American will put 5 rounds in 2" at 25 yards. Better shooters can do more like 1", but that is beyond my meager ability.

I had one of the very early Bren Tens. Back when they were the only 10MM, and Norma the only factory ammo. I believe some of my later 10MMs were actually better guns, but the Bren Ten has become a $$$$ collectors thing now days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P210s(2) - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG (131.1 KB, 98 views)
Old November 16, 2019, 11:40 PM   #4
reddog81

The CZ Shadow 2 is in the lower end of that price range with the same level of accuracy and about double the capacity(but an uglier gun IMO). Pretty much any 9mm 1911 will be capable of shooting groups better than that with ease. Realistically almost any gun will get 2” at 7 yards with a some practice.
Old November 17, 2019, 11:57 AM   #5
tipoc

Quote:
My friend recently bought a Bren-ten 10mm pistol for a bit more than 3k. Neither of us are particularly good shots but we both consistently shot sub 2" groups at 7 yards, by far the best either of us have ever shot a pistol.
A Bren 10? No one has made a Bren 10 since 1986 or so. Which may account for the "more than 3K" price I suppose. It's a rare collectors item these days.

If you want to get a Sig P210 then get one. But don't assume it is the most accurate 9mm out there. I would advise against it in fact. You can get a good shooting CZ 75 for far less or one of the 1911s in 9mm and they will likely shoot as well.

2" at 7 yards not that high a standard. It's common and most factory made 9mms will do that, Glock 17 or 19 for instance.

I'd suggest that you get a CZ (on which the Bren was roughly based) an get more practice in.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old November 17, 2019, 12:28 PM   #6
sigarms228

Yes the P210A is very tempting. Here is a test that American Rifleman did on it reporting outstanding accuracy shooting half inch groups at 25 yards with a variety of ammo. I handled and dry fired the Standard at LGS a couple weeks ago and the trigger on the one I handled was very impressive, much better than the CZ Shadow 2 I also handled, and it was very hard not to buy the P210A Standard on the spot that day.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...a-p210-pistol/

Another very detailed review by forum member 12131 on another forum and he also got outstanding accuracy even with cheap range ammo.

https://sigtalk.com/p210/247986-swis...p210a-tgt.html

Last edited by sigarms228; November 17, 2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old November 17, 2019, 01:05 PM   #7
tipoc

They have dropped the price on the P210 and some variants are around a grand it seems.

You can check that at Gunbroker and other online sites.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...r-p210-pistols

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...r%20and%20P210

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old November 17, 2019, 04:29 PM   #8
dgludwig

Quote:
2" at 7 yards not that high a standard.
Yeah, at that range there's probably some evidence of powder burns on the paper.
Old November 21, 2019, 07:13 AM   #9
clang

In that price range I would also look at the Walther Q5 Match Steel Frame
Old November 21, 2019, 07:32 PM   #10
10-96

A 210 is definitely on my bucket list. It'll probably be a new one, but whether new or old- them 210's has always been a beautiful handgun.

(Cool, I'm a Jason H too!)

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 21, 2019, 08:23 PM   #11
Rinspeed

I have two friends that own them and they are a great pistol at the price point. Just to be clear though they are a joke compared to a Swiss made 210. Just as anything made in Exeter with the X5 designation are a joke compared to the older German Mastershop pistols. Just because you can steal model names from previous world class pistols doesn't mean you should. You can only polish a so much.
Old November 21, 2019, 09:41 PM   #12
stephen426

I have a P210A and the original P210-6. I also have the German made P210 Legend, but I haven't shot it yet. I know the BAC1023 is not a fan of the P210A since it isn't built the same as the P210, but I am very happy with mine. I bought mine for about $1400 and it is a great shooter. It has a very crisp trigger that breaks at around 3.5 lbs. It has adjustable sights and and a larger safety and slide release. The mag release is American style (under your thumb) and it has a nice big beaver tail so no hammer bite.

My P210-6 is also a great shooter, but the sights are not a good as the P210A. It will bite the web of your hand if you are not very careful with your hand position. The safety scratches the frame of the gun.

Read this thread for some good info: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=599306
Old November 21, 2019, 10:27 PM   #13
dyl

I'm not going to say don't get one. But I also recommend you get 1000 rounds of ammo, some training, and have a duty size pistol or revolver to practice with (4+ inch barrel). If you and your buds are experiencing spread out groups at 7 yards shooting slow fire, there are likely some habits that could be fixed, maybe some that are visible just by you looking at them as their shots break. And as you minimize those habits, shooting will get a lot more fun.

Consistent grip, smooth trigger pull with a surprise break, and what I'm guessing: does the barrel dip before the shot breaks? Ever prank your buddy with a dummy round loaded in his magazine?

What I think the nice trigger is doing for your friend is masking some jerking of the trigger by breaking with less trigger travel and less pull weight, masking an inconsistent grip / trigger arc that pulls the muzzle off target, and masking a flinch (anticipatory movement). There could also be issues with sight picture / front sight focus.

A nice trigger might reduce all that, but only up to a certain point. (which seems like 2 inches at 7 yards) If you work at the fundamentals (talking like an old man here) you will run circles around your buddy with his own pistol. It's good to see someone else that likes accuracy too. Good luck!
Old November 23, 2019, 04:50 PM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I bought a CZ75B SA for $325.00 three years ago and box stock at 7 yds with deliberate aimed fire will do sub 2" no problem. Rapid fire at 7 yds under 5" no problem. 10 yds deliberate aimed fire 3" also no problem. I don't go beyond 10 yds no matter what with my eyesight. Beside, I have no reason to ever think I'll need a pistol beyond that range. When I was young and had eagle eyes I could consistently do 4 out of 6 with my Model 57 six inch .41 mag into a paper plate at 100 yds. Boy do I miss those days.
Old December 4, 2019, 07:25 PM   #15
rt11002003

I own a new p210 Target. Have owned the older Swiss models p210. In general, I feel it's preferable to own a target model of whatever gun one is talking about, simply because of adjustable rear sights allowing one to sight in at a specific range. An example was my CZ75 Tactical Sport. I installed an adjustable rear sight and discovered it was sighted in at exactly the same range as the fixed sight that came with the gun. I then adjusted the new sight to 10 yards, my normal shooting range. My p210 Target was sighted in for 25 yards and that's exactly where the point of impact was. Yet, I can shoot 10 yards without adjusting the sight and also shoot 25 yards. My STI 2011 came with an adjustable sight that allows the gun to be sight in at two different ranges. It came with a basis range of 25 yards and I was also able to further adjust it to 10 yards. I'm now able to shoot both distances without doing anything else. I don't know how it works, it just does.
Old December 6, 2019, 01:17 AM   #16
Sgt127

The American P210 is getting very good reviews.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/4320043434
Old December 22, 2019, 05:56 PM   #17
jason.h

Thanks for the input guys, I've put this purchase on hold I just bought a Walther GSP at auction which might scratch the itch I've been having for something accurate, of course, it is only a 22
Old December 22, 2019, 06:58 PM   #18
HighValleyRanch

The walter GSP is a great choice for developing your accuracy! The choice for many precision and internation target shooting sports.
Now, just shoot that baby one handed to test your real skills!LOL

Tags
accuacy , pistol 1911 , sig 210