The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 9, 2017, 12:34 PM   #26
jackmoser65

Both the 17 and 22 mags work well on coyotes. I prefer the 20gr loads over the 17's in the HMR.

Quote:
Kind of a dieing round, but I body shot a few large coons with a .22 Magnum. It hits hard.
The 22 magnum is dying because everybody is hoarding ammo for it? Where did you go to school?
Old April 10, 2017, 10:43 AM   #27
the possum

Dad used to keep an old Winchester pump action .22 Magnum in the combine for coyotes. One day he got 3 with one shot apiece. He said they pretty much dropped in their tracks.

That was never our experience when using .22 long rifle on 'em though. I suppose they ran off to die miles away, but there were some that clearly took a dozen rounds (2 guys firing with auto rifles) and kept running. You could see the bullets impact their fur, and they'd flinch a bit, but didn't slow down.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:47 PM   #28
Berserker

It is debate the ethical capability of rimfire on coyotes. But some states ban centerfire at night.

Not the fastest killing round, and not as forgiving as 243 or 223.
Old May 11, 2017, 04:34 AM   #29
Picher

I've shot Eastern coyotes, both fairly close and out to almost 300 yards. I prefer a .243 Win for them.

Haven't been especially happy with quick kills on critters like porcupines and raccoons, using some .22 mag rounds, even at close range, so wouldn't purposely go after coyotes with the cartridge. Our coydogs are mostly larger than western yotes, perhaps due to cross-breeding with wolves.