The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 31, 2018, 08:57 AM   #1
Wendyj

Savage axis 223

I would kind of like one of these rifles with no accutrigger and a Bushnell scope it comes with for general plinking of my reloads. They are under $250.00 at my local gun store today only. Saw a lot of videos with more than decent accuracy. Might need a Timney trigger but looks simple enough to install. Scope junk I’m sure but have my own. Don’t want to spend much more so pros and cons would be appreciated.
Old December 31, 2018, 09:13 AM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I just shot a axis in 270 the other day with the stock trigger, thought the safety was on before it would fire..Definitely in need of a trigger.
Old December 31, 2018, 09:28 AM   #3
bedlamite

It's easy to get the trigger down to around 3 lbs only replacing a spring and screw. There are lots of tutorials available.
Old December 31, 2018, 11:00 AM   #4
kenny53

I bought the Axis II in 308. It came with a cheap scope and was sight in right out of the box. For a bang around gun it is great. I would not hesitate to take it hunting. The first scope failed after awhile I called the scope company (Weaver I think) and ended up with a new scope. If I was on a budget I would not think twice about buying a Savage.
Old December 31, 2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Mobuck

"Might need a Timney trigger but looks simple enough to install. Scope junk I’m sure but have my own. "

So, now what's the price? Timney triggers are $115-125 and the scope "you already have" cost something, right???
When you start adding those "upgrade parts", the econo price turns into the same as a better grade of rifle.
Old December 31, 2018, 12:49 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

Mobuck nailed it. FWIW, I've seen those promo scopes sold on the internet new for under thirty bucks. They are JUNK. Yes, they work....sort of. However, in the long run you'll find out what they're really worth. Right now I'm looking for a new bolt .223 and started looking at what Savage has to offer. I've owned several of their guns over the years, but looking at their current offerings I'm heading in a different direction. They've cut all the corners off quality and cost. They have a lot of offerings, but none look even moderately interesting. I'm thinking of CZ 527. Pay a little more, cry a little less.
Old December 31, 2018, 01:49 PM   #7
NHSHOOTER

I have to agree with mobuck and nosecondbest..spend a little more to begin with and save in the long run.
Old December 31, 2018, 02:32 PM   #8
reynolds357

Either get the axis 2 or do a trigger job. A trigger that costs more than half as much as the rifle makes very little sense.
Old December 31, 2018, 03:17 PM   #9
std7mag

Alas, Wendy, i'm not quite sure how to respond to this.

Some peoples answer is to immediately throw money at something.
Then there are the, "you should have bought the $2,000 rifle, it doesn't need a trigger" .
BS!!!
I'm a DIY person. A lot of that is just liking to tinker with things.
That and my budget demands it.
Would you/could you do a decent trigger job on your own? I'm sure you could.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 31, 2018, 04:48 PM   #10
Wendyj

I watched a few you tube videos of the Timney installation and adjustment. Looks pretty simple. I have shot the $600 Tikkas next to the $2000 guns and a lot of the shooters have tried to buy my guns. I’d rather spend my money on good optics and good triggers. I’m with you 7 mag. My budget only goes so far. As far as price of the trigger I feel safer with it than cutting coils and dealing with creep. I really like for my trigger pull to surprise me when it goes off. I spent half the price of a used smith and Wesson shield putting an apex trigger in it. It’s great now. No trigger, no groups.
Old December 31, 2018, 07:03 PM   #11
BigBL87

My thought process is if you're going to buy a $100 trigger anyway, I'd just buy the Axis II with the accutrigger as it's less hassle and a great trigger. As an alternative, MCARBO makes a spring kit for the Axis for $20 that gets good reviews. I can't speak to the Axis kit, but their kit made my Marlin 795 a whole different rifle.

https://www.mcarbo.com/savage-axis-trigger-pro-kit.aspx

I was recently looking at an Axis in .308, ended up holding out and got a really good deal on a Savage 10 in the same caliber, a decent step up.
Old December 31, 2018, 08:11 PM   #12
reynolds357

Go to the hardware store and get everything in that kit for $2.(if you go to an expensive hardware store)
Old December 31, 2018, 08:42 PM   #13
berettaprofessor

I have that exact rifle. A do-it-yourself trigger job as seen on the Internet brought the trigger down to 2.5#; no cost to me at all and I have absolutely no special skills in that regard, so I'd tell you that anyone could do it. It's accurate as heck.
Old January 1, 2019, 12:27 PM   #14
Jbotto

Why buy the scope/rifle combo if you’re going to junk the scope anyways? Don’t they still sell these without the scope for a little less money? I bought a Savage package rifle years ago. Love the rifle, everything else was junk. Bushnell scope: junk, loose scope base: junk, cheap rings: junk. I used to think that I would keep buying them and use the scopes for .22’s but when I have junk scopes sitting around, I tend to try them. When I try them and get frustrated with their lack of quality, I wish I never would have kept them. I like savage rifles, but I won’t ever buy another package rifle from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 1, 2019, 05:36 PM   #15
Wendyj

This one at one location had the package cheaper than the rifle itself.
Old January 1, 2019, 11:16 PM   #16
2ndtimer

If I was going to gamble on getting an accurate inexpensive rifle, I would probably look for a Thompson Center Compass (since the Marlin X7's are no longer being made.) Of course, if you wanted to step up to a .243 Win, there is one available in your price range here:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms....acturer=MARLIN
I have seen the Compass on sale for as little as $200 after mail in rebate within the last 6 months. While I am a fan of Savage rifles, the Axis is not one I would consider. Just my opinion.
Old January 2, 2019, 09:03 PM   #17
stillquietvoice

Wendy I've had and worked on both axis and axis 2 triggers, used a g 2 ballpoint pen spring cut to 5 eights inch and a half to three quarter inch bolt with lock nut got 2.5# pull no overtravel.
There is a slight difference between accutrigger and non accutrigger, other than the obvious blade, at the front where sear contacts trigger. The accutrigger has a 45 degree angle at sear contact point regular axis doesn't. I used a 600 grit sharpening stone to smooth trigger surface and sear bevel and removed all creep. It only cost a few dollars and see time.
Old January 2, 2019, 09:33 PM   #18
kilotanker22

I have had both rifles. The Axis and the Axis 2. The trigger job on the no. Accutrigger model is easy enough. In about an hour's worth of work you can have it pretty decent.

The Axis 2 with Accutrigger is excellent and only costs a little more money.

My non accutrigger Savage axis in 22-250 will shoot lights out. 5 round groups at 300 yards in 2 inches with Remington 55 grain factory ammo.
Whichever you choose, it should be a serviceable rifle. And shoot well.