The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 9, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
crapster

Non-USA citizen buying gun ?

Ok, so i have mu permanent legal residence...aka greencard [its actually pink in color]..anyhow, my poor understanding s that i can legally purchase a handgun as long as i have been in the USA for 90 days continouse...is that pretty much correct??? Also, what do i need to take with me to the gunshop...do i need my greencard, ss card, or just my local drivers license? Thanks for any info.
Old July 9, 2009, 03:19 PM   #2
ninjatoth

where do you live?I think each state will have different rules for what you need.You will have to go to your local police station or wherever pistol permits are issued,with your drivers license,take the greencard just in case too.Then you will probably have to take a short quiz on firearm safety and pay a small fee to have your background check run.But this all varies greatly from state to state.
Old July 9, 2009, 03:53 PM   #3
crapster

Ohio

Guess i know even less then i thought. I was under the impression that it was a federal gun law that made you license a handgun at time of purchase....now it involves my state to....ok, now i am more confused.
Old July 9, 2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Big Ugly Tall Texan

I was a Federal immigration inspector for 12 years

and assure you that as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the USA, you can legally purchase and own a firearm as long as you meet the same legal requirements a US citizen would have to meet.

Have fun.

And you're right - green cards haven't been green for about 20 years. They were kind of pink and now they are beige with holograms and all kinds of cool stuff, like all of the US flags and busts of all of our presidents.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 12, 2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Jason607

I'm surprised Hillary hasn't heard of this... do you think she would step across the line to advocate for CCW permits for illegals?

All joking aside, it depends on the state.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Jim March

>>All joking aside, it depends on the state.<<

It used to. The courts have been striking down bans on green-card-holders exercising the RKBA. One of the first was actually in California, in 1972:

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/rappard.txt

In that case, state law mandated felony bust for handgun possession for green-card holders. That was tossed out.

Within the last year WA State gave up on a roughly similar concept when challenged in court...in other words, they didn't even wait until trial, the state caved in.
Old July 13, 2009, 12:00 AM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
crapster Ok, so i have mu permanent legal residence...aka greencard [its actually pink in color]..anyhow, my poor understanding s that i can legally purchase a handgun as long as i have been in the USA for 90 days continouse...is that pretty much correct??? Also, what do i need to take with me to the gunshop...do i need my greencard, ss card, or just my local drivers license? Thanks for any info.
When purchasing a firearm you will be required to complete a Form 4473 (Firearm Transaction Record) and pass the FBI NICS check (instant background check) Some states may have additional requirements for a firearm purchase.

On Pg 2 of the Form 4473, question 20c is required of all Aliens. It asks for documents that establish 90 day residency (utility bills, lease agreements, bank statements, credit card bills, etc). These documents must be from the 90 day period preceding the sale. You should bring a copy to attach to the 4473.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE