The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 15, 2018, 12:19 PM   #26
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I don't really believe you'll actually recognize a bad situation when it show's up.
You may not, but if you're lucky, you will.

Quote:
People act strange for a lot of different reason's, doesn't mean they are the bad guy.
Absolutely!

People like to talk about "situational awareness". They glance around, believing that they will recognize a "threat".

Here's one that might well have saved some victims, here and in other cities: you are walking alone minding your own business. You notice someone panning with a cell phone camera.

Strange? Maybe.

But if you are about to be suddenly and viciously attacked in a "knockout" game, that is your indication.

What to do? STOP immediately, turn, and put you back to the wall. Be ready to draw instantly.

Could be nothing. But what have you lost?
Old February 15, 2018, 01:12 PM   #27
K_Mac

I think the key is just to pay attention. Noticing things that might be indicators of danger is probably our best way of avoiding trouble. I have changed direction while walking/hiking and changed my mind about getting gasoline more than once in response to a situation or behavior that may have been perfectly innocent and I'm OK with that.

I have also not been paying attention and been reminded of my vulnerability. I was walking my little attack Chihuahua a while back late at night. I live in a small, poor rural community with few street lights, and there are a few dark spots along the way. I always wear a headlamp and carry a good light, but there are a few corners that require a little more attention to maintain enough distance from anyone, whether good or bad. I was not paying attention and one of my neighbors rounded one of those corners at the same time I did. He was literally less than five feet from me and closing fast before I knew he was there. Had he been an attacker, I would have been in trouble.

I don't think we should live in fear, but being aware of our surroundings is foundational to avoidance of trouble. That is more true at the gas and grab than most places.
Old February 18, 2018, 05:00 PM   #28
hdwhit

Quote:
OldMarksman wrote:
Not likely if he is trying to make sure that he can stay in visual context with that someone, and even less likely if he appears panicky when he sees another shopper noticing him.
The arrogance with which you dismiss my post is quite telling.

You've obviously never had to wake up a neighbor to ask to borrow money for baby formula and instead he decides to go with you and buy it himself rather than giving it to you and risking that you might spend the money on something else.

Rather than denigrate the experience of those who were once poor, you might try giving thanks for your own financial blessings and realize the rest of us may not have been born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
Old February 18, 2018, 05:43 PM   #29
hdwhit

Quote:
Lohman446 wrote:
(come on this is going to be funny, laugh with me)
It wasn't a laughing matter at the time. Read my response to Old Markman who had a similar degree of conceit as you.

Not all people who are on edge late at night or early in the morning at a convenience store who might be acting like they need to get out of there as soon as possible are there to rob it.

You should, frankly, be ashamed of your post.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:16 PM   #30
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The arrogance with which you dismiss my post is quite telling.
Arrogance? Dismiss?

I expanded on the story by explaining why the signs should have been more alarming to me than they were.

Quote:
You've obviously never had to wake up a neighbor to ask to borrow money for baby formula and instead he decides to go with you and buy it himself rather than giving it to you and risking that you might spend the money on something else.
How would that influence whether someone might decide to park facing the wrong direction?

Quote:
Rather than denigrate the experience of those who were once poor, you might try giving thanks for your own financial blessings and realize the rest of us may not have been born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
You are making assumptions and assertions that are completely unjustified.

Quote:
Not all people who are on edge late at night or early in the morning at a convenience store who might be acting like they need to get out of there as soon as possible are there to rob it.
Of course not. Do you really want to play the odds when the stakes are high?

In the event, the indications turned out to signal a robbery about to happen. The prudent person will take such indications into account even if they might well turn out to be completely innocent.
Old February 19, 2018, 09:15 AM   #31
Lohman446

Quote:
You should, frankly, be ashamed of your post.
Offended much there?

While my post was made with some sense of humor the entirety of your situation regarding infant formula was not made clear in your post and was not made clear until after that. Strangely, while I have lived paycheck to almost getting to the next paycheck and had children at the time, I have never run out of formula in the middle of the night. But hey, that's getting a bit off topic.

My post was intended to have some humor to it to at least touch on another situation. We have this habit of thinking that we somehow can tell the "good guy" from the "bad guy" It is likely, in many cases, we are simply identifying those who are not simply going about their day. Be it based on how they are parked, how aware of their surroundings, or other things. We must be careful that we don't allow our observations to create a situation that sets us on edge and gets out of hand.