The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 2, 2018, 07:29 PM   #1
mingheemouse

Arizona HB 2057

Arizona, using positively held State powers to make an effort. It plays on the interactivity of eight or so U.S. Supreme Court Cases.

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2018/...-restrictions/
Old January 2, 2018, 08:21 PM   #2
armoredman

"“In fact, at no point has a tank, at no point have Howitzers, at no point have any of these things been in common use for civilians for their defense,” Taylor continued. “So that’s already a non-starter with the court.”

Actually, tanks and big guns have been playthings for Arizonans for years. I can think of a dozen WWII armored vehicles in private hands without straining. Howitzers by NAME, no, but big guns, yes since the birth of the nation - all cannon that fought at the beginning of the Revolution were privately owned. Mortars were privately owned until GCA 68 re-defined them as Destructive Devices. I heard of "mortar matches" being help with Russian and German WWII mortars after the war was over.
I think he's on a good track, and I hope it goes through, but as a shield against federal attacks on our rights? We'll see.
Old January 2, 2018, 10:15 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

And how about some VERY large collections of military weaponry just up the road in Nevada?

But that argument is just dressing up the pig. The Second Amendment doesn't say anything about "in common use." It says the right to keep and bear arms "shall not be infringed." A whole lot of lawyers, legislators, and judges need to open up a dictionary and refresh themselves on what "infringe" means.