The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2007, 10:38 PM   #26
Selfdfenz

I have mostly Lee and RCBS dies. Never a problem with either but for me personally I like the Lee dies a little better than the RCBS. They just work a little smoother for me.

I use the hand held Lee priming tool so I don't have to sit in front of the press just to prime cases. When I got it back in the 70's I thought the cheap plastic level would break sooner or later but it worked so well I went ahead and bought a second unit as a replacement. The first one is still working and I have primed many a S&B pistol caliber case with that thing which I consider a real workout.

S-
Old January 17, 2007, 11:26 PM   #27
stephen426

Who is Lee and how did he die? Just kidding.
Old January 18, 2007, 03:53 AM   #28
James A. Mullins

I load about 20 different calibers. First started with RCBS, and heard the same garbage your hearing. Have about 15 or 16 Lee die sets and they work great. Fact is I don't see how they sell for a price below their competers.
James
Old January 18, 2007, 06:44 AM   #29
Buckythebrewer

I don't believe all these Lee dies could be good,,If you spend more on more expensive products ,They MUST be better!. If Lee dies cost less,They can't be as good.
Its a good thing I did not have more money when I got into reloading because I probably would have told myself spending more would mean I would get a better product.It just doesn't work that way all the time.You have to do your research on what you are buying and why.
Thank you Lee for giving me a great deal on my setup.
Old January 18, 2007, 10:40 AM   #30
Rimrod

They sell cheaper because they're made cheaper.
Old January 18, 2007, 01:24 PM   #31
Zippy06

Rimrod.
They sell cheaper because they're made cheaper.
Um???
Does that indicate, Lee is junk?
Call or email. These guys are great. For more info.
From what I have heard. They will replace anything. And quick.
I'm getting, another set of dies, this week.
Old January 18, 2007, 01:46 PM   #32
Rimrod

Zippy, I guess you didn't read my post on page one. Even with the pistol dies I use from RCBS I use Lee carbide sizer dies. I won't call them junk but I don't think they make anything that is superior to anything else, at least nothing that I have ever used. My worst experience with Lee was a Pro 1000 press and that was due to the disk powder measure.

As for the rifle dies I have never gotten a one hole group with Lee dies but have with RCBS. But even with that I still use Lee dies for the rifles that will never shoot one hole anyway. They're cheap because they are made cheap, but they still work.

I still buy their dies and bullet moulds if they are something I want. And RCBS customer service is one of the best I have ever seen too, they sent me replacement parts for equipment I never bought! I've never used Lees because other than the Pro 1000 I've never needed to. The Pro 1000 just taught me a lesson to watch what I'm buying.
Old January 18, 2007, 04:01 PM   #33
amamnn

I've used a lot of Lee equipment over the years and found that most of it works if you follow directions (admittedly Lee's instructions are sometimes extremely terse) and do not try to do things with it that it was not designed to do. Using Lee tools sometimes requires a little thought and practicality on the part of the used and they are not idiot proofed.

I don't use Lee for loading rifle match ammo, but I use it for shotshells, rifle plinking rounds and handgun ammo. If I have one gripe about their dies, I would say that you really have to keep after them to prevent them rusting. Otherwise I see no advantage in buying more expensive general purpose dies, many of which are built on Lee patents, and are not more closely spec'd for tolerances.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:01 PM   #34
1tomcat

have been using Lee dies for my 38 and 357 loads ( about 90 pct of my reloading and have found them to be excellent dies
Old January 18, 2007, 06:14 PM   #35
Buckythebrewer

I shoot one hole groups with my ar15 ,using the same dies I shot one hole groups while using my encore..There the one and only 223 dies I have from LEE .Im not saying it would always be that way.The dies can only do so much.There are so many other variables playing there part that You could never say One die will always be best..
Old January 19, 2007, 12:29 PM   #36
Zippy06

Rimrod. Just clarifying.
I got some one hole groups. 100 yds. Colt H-Bar. 55gn. fmjbt.
Joined another club. They have a 200 yds range.
Last month. Helped a friend, set up, the Pro 1000(9mm). He thinks it's great. Some minor tweaking. But, that's part of our trade/job.
Like the saying goes. This is America.
Got the bug.
Going to the range.
Old January 19, 2007, 01:03 PM   #37
Rimrod

Zippy, as long as you're satisfied that's all that matters. Have a fun day shooting.