The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 26, 2021, 06:01 AM   #1
kymasabe

AR muzzle device options ?

I'm building another upper, this time for my daughter, and I'm trying to decide on a muzzle device that's not horribly loud. All the brakes I have or have used tend to be loud. A2 birdcage flash hiders work just fine, but I wanted something "better" for my daughter. Flash cans are out, too big. So, I'm thinking black river tactical covert comp, if I can find one, or more likely a VG6 Delta.
Anyone have any success with a muzzle device they'd recommend for a first AR?
Old October 26, 2021, 06:45 AM   #2
44caliberkid

The Miculek comp works great, highly recommend. https://miculek.com/product/mic-comp...tor-ar-15-223/
Old October 26, 2021, 07:49 AM   #3
imashooter

Basic quality, mil-spec flash hider isn't loud with hearing protection and despite much internet bs, is very hard, if not impossible, to beat for function and reliability.
Old October 26, 2021, 08:12 AM   #4
ed308

If .223/5.56, the stock flash hider or the VG6 Delta would be a good choice.
Old October 26, 2021, 11:45 AM   #5
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashooter View Post
Basic quality, mil-spec flash hider isn't loud with hearing protection and despite much internet bs, is very hard, if not impossible, to beat for function and reliability.
I tend to agree with you. I have one in my parts bin but the finish looks terrible so...Primary Arms has VG6 muzzle devices on sale today, so I picked up two VG6 Delta's. Had one in the past, looked good, worked well, I should have stuck with it.
And, thank you ed308 too....and all, for your input.
Old October 26, 2021, 01:13 PM   #6
10-96

I've gotten to be a huge fan of the linear compensators- https://www.deltateamtactical.com/ar...forwarder.html

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old October 26, 2021, 06:05 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

I have been a big fan of the kaw valley linear comps. same diameter as an A2 but just a touch longer. mild recoil reduction, no effect on muzzle rise, pushes the sound forwards reducing blast. only abut $40.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw...ear223-blk.htm
Old October 26, 2021, 08:31 PM   #8
tangolima

Linear compensator directs hot gas forward to reduce report to the shooter. It increases felt recoil, does it not? The product description says it reduces muzzle climb. How does it work?

I don't like muzzle brakes, especially shooting next lane to one. They tend to occupy the center lanes for some reason.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; October 26, 2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old October 26, 2021, 09:21 PM   #9
HiBC

Quote:
The Miculek comp works great, highly recommend. https://miculek.com/product/mic-comp...tor-ar-15-223/
While I do not question the effectiveness of the Miculek Comp,
Its definitely not easy on the ears.

Take a look at this one. I have not tested it,but intuitively, I think it might be easy on the ears. On sale for $20. Not much risk.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021158557?pid=908642

If you do not like clicking links,go to Midway/ Muzzle Devices/ AR-15/ AR Stoner

Its a linear,all holes facing downrange.
Old October 27, 2021, 05:35 AM   #10
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
While I do not question the effectiveness of the Miculek Comp,
Its definitely not easy on the ears.

Take a look at this one. I have not tested it,but intuitively, I think it might be easy on the ears. On sale for $20. Not much risk.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021158557?pid=908642

If you do not like clicking links,go to Midway/ Muzzle Devices/ AR-15/ AR Stoner

Its a linear,all holes facing downrange.
Thank you. Looks similar to the Kaw Valley one as well.
Old October 27, 2021, 04:25 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Basic quality, mil-spec flash hider....
For the M16, is called a flash suppressor.
Old October 27, 2021, 09:48 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Witt Machine ...
https://www.wittmachine.net/sme-soun...non-class-iii/

Brings noise down below 140 db at the shooter's ears, but forward of the gun, very loud. I would still use hearing protection, but it would be that much more helpful to the shooter.

This video has some bad language, but they do some sound testing for the device
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUIvTmvzww
Old October 28, 2021, 11:31 AM   #13
bamaranger

linear

I've come very close to installing a linear comp like the Kaw or the older LeVang's. At the range or what little 3-gun I've done, when directly behind the linears, I sense a distinctly lower blast level.

Recoil......c'mon,........... what recoil in a .223 AR? If the youngster can't handle that, she should likely be staying with a .22 lr. My experience has been with youngster is the weight of the rifle is more of a challenge than .223 recoil.
Old October 28, 2021, 11:48 AM   #14
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post

Recoil......c'mon,........... what recoil in a .223 AR? If the youngster can't handle that, she should likely be staying with a .22 lr. My experience has been with youngster is the weight of the rifle is more of a challenge than .223 recoil.
I never said recoil was an issue, she's not recoil sensitive. But, she does shoot at an indoor range occasionally so was trying to find something that wasn't ungodly loud when in the confines of the shooting lanes.
Old October 28, 2021, 12:09 PM   #15
gaseousclay

A friend of mine has a Surefire Warcomp for his AR that he swears by. Last time I checked the 5.56 version may have been out of stock
Old October 29, 2021, 06:39 PM   #16
HWS

I vote flash hider if it is legal in your state.
Old October 29, 2021, 08:13 PM   #17
Scorch

Linear comps are quieter but have little effect on recoil (not an issue with an AR). Brakes that port to the side will have more report but tame recoil better (because they make the gases radically change direction). For the stated purpose, a girl shooting an AR, I would recommend a linear brake of some type.
Old October 29, 2021, 09:19 PM   #18
bamaranger

poorly worded

In rereading my post, I did indeed state "she", but did not intend to imply that your girl was not capable. Rather, I should have stated something to the effect that if "a shooter" could not tolerate .223 recoil" and and left it at that.
Post #8 alleged that a linear comp would increase recoil, which as aptly pointed out by others, it does not.

My apologies for poor writing and the best to you and your girl.
Old October 29, 2021, 10:04 PM   #19
tangolima

Brake reduces recoil by directing gas rearward. Wouldn't directing gas forward increases recoil?

-TL

Old October 30, 2021, 02:25 AM   #20
HiBC

Tango,I'm not an expert. Baseline,no muzzle device,all gas goes forward. 50 gr of powder makes 50 gr of gas.

Traditional comp,gas is deflected. recoil reduction

Linear comp,same amount of gas going forward as crowned muzzle.I'm guessing the linear comp might slow the gas velocity. The linear is an expansion chamber,there is more time/distance for the gas to travel,the gas is dispersed through (in the case of the stoner) 6 more holes.
I would not expect a lot of reduction in recoil. but IMO,no increase.

Last edited by HiBC; October 30, 2021 at 02:33 AM.
Old October 30, 2021, 07:45 AM   #21
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
I never said recoil was an issue, she's not recoil sensitive. But, she does shoot at an indoor range occasionally so was trying to find something that wasn't ungodly loud when in the confines of the shooting lanes.
In my opinion, you would be better served to focus on increasing hearing protection. I wear good-fitting foam ear plugs ("Hearos" work best for me but are too large for some) in addition to my regular "active" ear protection when at our indoor range.

Also at matches, if we're placed alongside some old geezer shooting an M1.

I'm not saying these gadgets don't provide some measurable benefit but for indoor shooting, I don't think they're going to be as effective as some cheap foam earplugs.
Old October 30, 2021, 08:08 AM   #22
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
In my opinion, you would be better served to focus on increasing hearing protection. I wear good-fitting foam ear plugs ("Hearos" work best for me but are too large for some) in addition to my regular "active" ear protection when at our indoor range.

Also at matches, if we're placed alongside some old geezer shooting an M1.

I'm not saying these gadgets don't provide some measurable benefit but for indoor shooting, I don't think they're going to be as effective as some cheap foam earplugs.
Problem is. Indoors, with a brake or compensator, the blast can still be felt in your chest and rattle your teeth. Using a flash hider or especially a linear comp can help take the the thump out of the cartridge. Good hearing protection is a given.
Old October 30, 2021, 08:16 AM   #23
eflyguy

I typed but deleted this in my earlier post because I'm not trying to win the internet. The OP said recoil was not an factor..

"I never even realized our AR had much noticeable recoil, but my daughter said the rifle issued to her at BCT (M4 or M16, I keep forgetting which) had less, so I guess it has enough that she had noticed."

Our .308, yes. I don't enjoy shooting that.
Old October 30, 2021, 10:29 AM   #24
Shadow9mm

I have tried flash hiders, brakes, and linear comps on my AR over the years. I have also shot a couple AR's that were poorly tuned. Currently I run a linear comp. You can tell the difference between a flash hider, brake, and lineal comp in both recoil and blast. With that said my 12, 8, and 7yr old can manage 223 recoil with any of the 3. For me the main factor has been reducing blast to make the guns more pleasant to shoot, especially as I have the pleasure of standing directly next to the kids when they shoot and the blast off a brake or comp is unpleasant. Too many people have shot their AR's with a comp, but not stood next to someone shooting an AR with a comp. Try it some time, bet you wont stay there long.
Old October 30, 2021, 12:19 PM   #25
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Linear compensator directs hot gas forward to reduce report to the shooter. It increases felt recoil, does it not? The product description says it reduces muzzle climb. How does it work?
I’ve used them on a couple of guns. I didn’t notice any increase in felt recoil on .223, .300 BLK and of course .22 LR. I tried one on my 450 Bushmaster and it was like someone had kicked me in the shoulder.

I didn’t notice a difference in muzzle climb but wasn’t really paying attention to that.