The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 5, 2021, 09:45 AM   #1
passtime

Mini-30 Ten Round Mag

Anyone know where I might find a ten round mag spring for a 582 series Mini-30 or something compatible. I have searched the net and can only find springs for the Mini-14. One site listed a five round mag spring that fit both the Mini-14 and Mini-30. I am a little suspicious of that. I was thinking I could cut down a twenty round mag to fit but I have not been able to locate any of those either. Mine popped out in the woods. I found the bottom plate but not the spring. I would appreciate any info on the matter. FYI, I may post this same question on a few different forums.
Old October 5, 2021, 09:58 AM   #2
ballardw

I would not expect there to be any difference in the spring between Mini-14 and Mini-30 magazines.

You don't mention how the magazine came apart such that you have to find the spring, but if you didn't disassemble it and it came apart in the rifle I might suggest replacing the magazine completely as that would be a suspect magazine to me. Was it a factory Ruger magazine?
Old October 5, 2021, 10:20 AM   #3
passtime

Thank you for the response. Yes it was a factory magazine. The only thing I can come up with is operator error....

Last edited by passtime; October 5, 2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old October 5, 2021, 04:13 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Have you called ruger? they could tell you whether it was the same spring or not, and sell you the right one if need be.
Old October 5, 2021, 04:22 PM   #5
passtime

Yes I called Ruger. The CSR said they do not sell mag parts and she also said she did not have access to the information as to whether the Mini-14 and Mini-30 mag springs were interchangeable. She did say that I could send it back. I am not going to do that because they have already replaced it once. I just wanted to see if I could find a spring for the empty mag body so I could get it back into working order. I had exhausted all of my option as far as finding a spring. Hence my question. Not a big deal though. Ruger did good by replacing the mag with the lost spring. I will put the original in the extra parts bin.
Old October 10, 2021, 10:54 PM   #6
veprdude

They're close in size to 7.62x39 ak mags, if not modeled after them. Maybe buy a C grade rusty com-bloc mag off APEX or something and see if it fits. Or a 10 round Tapco.