The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 3, 2020, 05:03 PM   #76
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm hoping the 245gr EOL Elite Hunters work out in my 300PRC, a .807 G1 BC is drool-worthy .
I remember when Hornady rolled that out--unlike most other manufacturers they were atypically modest in their claims. I have a 375 Ruger and it is very accurate for a big lumbering bullet (kicks like a Lippenzaner though). That case was codesigned by Ruger and Hornady and it's a great one. The fascinating thing about good old Roy is that he took a "contrarian" approach and went with a really long freebore but a comparatively long neck--the theory (I believe) being get that bullet concentric with a running start from a long neck, a side benefit at the same time reducing the peak pressure stress afforded by the "long jump."
Old May 9, 2020, 11:20 AM   #77
stagpanther

I finally gave up on the XTR--every shooting session was a battle of focusing every shot and I quickly developed a headache from eye strain--the Nightforce SHV is back on. I now have a colorful $1300 paperweight.
Old May 10, 2020, 01:13 PM   #78
stagpanther

Decided to try out the berger 230 gr hybrid targets propelled by one of my all-around favorite large magnum powders; H1000. I used the first 4 cartridges to get the SHV rezeroed to the rifle (it now sits on a 20 MOA base) and got this on my next 4 shot group. As promising as it is--the winds are howling and gusting to almost 30 mph and I decided to hold off on testing the next 6 loads and reload this group and come back another day when the winds aren't blowing as hard--I might get lucky and have even better results.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300WbyMag 230 hybrid target 75.1 H1000.jpg (105.3 KB, 71 views)
Old May 10, 2020, 03:49 PM   #79
Dufus

With a G1 of .700+ I wouldn't think the winds would matter at 103 yds
Old May 10, 2020, 04:00 PM   #80
stagpanther

Quote:
With a G1 of .700+ I wouldn't think the winds would matter at 103 yds
LOL--I agree, but they were strong enough that I couldn't set the labradar up and stretch out to longer distances.
Old May 10, 2020, 04:07 PM   #81
std7mag

230gr???!!!

May as well tow an 8 inch Paladin to the firing line!!

I've been waiting to see the terminal ballistics on another fence post from your Weatherby...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 10, 2020, 06:06 PM   #82
stagpanther

Do you think I'm pretty?

Both my rifle and I are happy the SHV is back on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3016.jpg (130.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3017.jpg (216.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3018.jpg (130.4 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; May 10, 2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old May 10, 2020, 06:43 PM   #83
stagpanther

Looks like all of next week is doomed with stormy/windy weather, dang.
Old July 6, 2020, 06:12 PM   #84
stagpanther

My 300 weatherby magnum project has been nagging at me every time I open the safe; while it shoots well enough it pounded both the vanguard and B&C stocks hard enough that the action screws always came loose after a magazine or two worth of cartridges, no matter how hard I torqued the screws or applied red loktite. Part of this I know is because I decided to free float the barrel which is a very thin sporter 2 profile, my guess is free-floated it must be flexing quite a bit.

I scored an MDT LSS XL as my "last resort" to try and really get the action anchored solidly. I also finally got a throw lever for my SHV scope--but in the process blocked out my level so I'll have to rearrange that.

I think the foreend has enough room for the barrel to flex all it wants.

The only issue I encountered was MDT's AICS magazine would jam the cartridges because the feed lips wouldn't let go of the rim of the cartridge--a few minutes of trimming with the dremel and all is well. All up weight is only 9 lbs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3243.jpg (137.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3245.jpg (133.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; July 6, 2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old July 7, 2020, 04:06 PM   #85
stagpanther

Got one 4 shot group at 345 yds and another at 350 yds using the 230 vld loads I tried above just to see how the rifle functions. So far everything is rock solid and no signs of the screws budging, happy about that.

Not sure why I pulled a flier in each of the groups as I really did feel each shot was a repeat of the last, otherwise the groups would have been pretty decent. Yes, I know it's lame, but I tossed them out. : )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg test 230 vld.jpg (41.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg test 230 vld2 .jpg (80.2 KB, 40 views)