The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 20, 2008, 03:20 AM   #1
crobar

mossberg 500 disassembly problem

Hello - I'm having trouble removing the trigger housing assembly from my Mossberg 500. For the 1st time in my life I have decided not to force anything. The manual and videos I've checked show no indication of a special step to get the housing out of the receiver. The action is cocked, the safety on the trigger housing pin is removed and I have tried multiple positions of the bolt but the assembly will only lift up about 1/4 inch. Is there some small detail that I need to perform for this disassembly?
Old February 20, 2008, 01:30 PM   #2
cxg231

I just got my 500, so I have not disassembled it yet.

Watching this might help:

Mossberg Field Strip Video
Old February 20, 2008, 01:42 PM   #3
UniversalFrost

Here is the link directly to the mossberg 500 pdf manual off their site.

and here is the site http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?...ection=service

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 20, 2008, 08:30 PM   #4
crobar

Thanks for the site referals. All of the disassembly processes and videos show that it as a non problem. Thus I was hoping to find someone who has personally had this problem. As usual I will likely have to conclude that my gun is the only one in the world that has this problem. If
I discover the answer without having to break a part I will post it in this thread. Thank you guys for your comments.
Old February 20, 2008, 08:57 PM   #5
loosecannon

Why would you want to or need to mess with that? that is not a routine part of field stripping I recomend that you leave it alone.
Old February 20, 2008, 09:04 PM   #6
cxg231

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecannon
Why would you want to or need to mess with that? that is not a routine part of field stripping I recomend that you leave it alone.
To field strip the 500 you need to remove the trigger *assembly*. You don't touch the trigger assembly once it is out of the shotgun. It all comes out in one piece, held in by one pin thru the receiver.
Old February 20, 2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Desert01

Quote:
Hello - I'm having trouble removing the trigger housing assembly from my Mossberg 500. For the 1st time in my life I have decided not to force anything. The manual and videos I've checked show no indication of a special step to get the housing out of the receiver. The action is cocked, the safety on the trigger housing pin is removed and I have tried multiple positions of the bolt but the assembly will only lift up about 1/4 inch. Is there some small detail that I need to perform for this disassembly?
What again are you attempting to do? Hello - The action is cocked, the safety on the trigger housing pin is removed
and I have tried multiple positions of the bolt but the assembly will only lift up about 1/4 inch.
Old February 20, 2008, 09:04 PM   #8
crobar

I disassemble, clean and learn the mechanics of all my guns. This has to be the simplest of all but it isn't cooperating per all of the videos, written documentation etc.
Old February 20, 2008, 09:15 PM   #9
UniversalFrost

no offense, but sounds like user malfunction.

i wouldn't mess with it if I were you. take it to a competent gunsmith and let him show you how it is done.

otherwise it should be a piece of cake. I take mine apart all the time with no problems.

Also, do not, I repeat, do not mess with the trigger group when it is semi dissassembled out of the gun.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 20, 2008, 10:53 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I took out the trigger action zackly ONE TIME from my 500 but since fergot how you do it I don't even aim for the trigger action when I blast WD-40 in the action...
I would if I were you go to a 'smith and as previously said, have them show you... It shouldn't even cost you... my 'smith would do that fer free!
They also bore sight fer free as long as either the gun or scope was bought there... heck if you bought a box of ammo he would bore sight for you!
Brent
Old February 20, 2008, 11:36 PM   #11
crobar

Hello Universal Frost - I was hoping that someone like you who has performed this disassembly many times could share your experience. I suspect there is some subtle movement or position that might be required to free up the trigger assembly for new 500's or those that may have tighter tolerances.

Last edited by crobar; February 21, 2008 at 03:51 AM. Reason: clarification
Old February 21, 2008, 04:05 AM   #12
crobar

Deser 01 - I am simply trying to remove the trigger assembly. I know that this is a very simple process of removing the barrel, removing the trigger assembly pin and then pulling out the trigger assembly. For some reason mine hangs up and won't come out. My 500 is new and I suspect there is some subtle movement or position of parts that is required on new ones or those with tight tolerances
Old February 21, 2008, 05:21 AM   #13
plateshooter

If your gun is brand new and has a synthetic stock, you might want to try loosening the stock a bit and trying it again. Sometimes there is some flashing etc on the stock that traps the trigger assembly in place.
Old February 21, 2008, 02:21 PM   #14
crobar

Success

I removed the synthetic stock (per plateshooter) and the trigger assy just slid out as it is supposed to. There is a pin going thru the middle of the tang that extends out of the rear of the trigg assy where the trigger assy meets the butt stock. The pin had been installed with the pin to far out on one side and was causing the hang-up. A simple push on the pin to center it fixed the problem. My thanks to plateshooter and everyone else who were nice enough to share their ideas and thoughts. This is a great forum group.
Old February 24, 2008, 06:19 PM   #15
curmudgeon1

Ah! Experience! Great read you guys. I have a new Mossberg that I have not gotten around to field stripping yet and was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for crobar's solution to his problem. Good job plateshooter!
Old April 20, 2008, 08:50 PM   #16
JackFlorida

Helpful for Safety Button fix on New Haven 600AT

I'm adding this note in case others searching for help with New Haven 600AT shotguns are looking for help. My New Haven 600AT is apparently the same gun as the Mossberg 500 and I need to do a safety button disassembly and assembly to fix a broken button. This was helpful since I've never field-stripped the gun... After the help from this, I obviously had to become a member. Thanks much!
Old January 4, 2009, 03:53 PM   #17
docgary

mossberg 500 disassembly problem

Well, I have the same problem however, your fix does not work for me!

The stock is a simple pistol grip. The only bolt involving the grip is a large hex screw at the very upper rear of the grip. Its certainly too high up to involve the trigger assembly but its the only bolt i see to remove the grip.

As you experienced, once the trigger housing pin was removed, the trigger assembly moved about 1/4 inch down and out of the reciever but hanging up on the on the grip just behind the trigger shroud.
I hesitate removing this rear bolt until i get an OK that its the proper thing to do.
(the shotgun is my neighbors..if it was mine, i would be off already)

Although Im not a licensed gunsmith, Im far from a novice.
I've done a number of custom builds of Ar15s, 10-22s and assorted handguns.
I've like to work under the adage..."measure twice but cut once!"

Appreciate all responses
Docgary

crobar

I removed the synthetic stock (per plateshooter) and the trigger assy just slid out as it is supposed to. There is a pin going thru the middle of the tang that extends out of the rear of the trigg assy where the trigger assy meets the butt stock. The pin had been installed with the pin to far out on one side and was causing the hang-up. A simple push on the pin to center it fixed the problem. My thanks to plateshooter and everyone else who were nice enough to share their ideas and thoughts. This is a great forum group.

Old January 4, 2009, 03:59 PM   #18
rantingredneck

Docgary,

You are fine removing that hex screw and removing the grip. Only thing that particular screw affects.

Once you remove the pin if you put a flat blade screwdriver under the trigger assembly and gently lever it out you will be fine. They are sometimes a little sticky getting out the first time or two.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 4, 2009, 10:01 PM   #19
docgary

Breaking Down Mossberg

thanks...

Right after i posted my note, I removed the grip since it was
the only possible item holding the trigger group in...and it worked.

Trigger assembly dropped out and i proceeded with breaking down the shot gun.
I was over cautious since it was my neighbors gun and I never handled a pump before.

It appears the pump has more internal parts that i thought...or at least they have to allign propely.
Re-assembling the gun took more time than expected - about 20 minutes - Little room for error

Thanks anyway for your help.

docgary
Old July 14, 2009, 04:06 PM   #20
hgilsew23

elbo grece

If the weapon is new you may have to giggle it a little to get it out I just got done cleaning mine for the first time and at first and it did stick so I gently and firmly giggled and puled at the same time and it came right out if it still wont come out you will need to see an Mossberg armor
Old July 14, 2009, 04:23 PM   #21
mp25ds4

loosen the stock bolt. i had the same problem, if the stock bolt is too tight it can go into the back of the trigger housing thus making it impossible to pull out. the stock bolt is a 1/2 inch socket
Old June 22, 2019, 03:03 PM   #22
chopstick1

thanks guys! you saved me. I've been disassembling this thing for 20 yrs. standard wooden stock, no extra mods. never had a problem until today. read your posts, loosened the bolt in the stock just a tad and the trigger assembly fell right out ! I would have never thought of it