The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 6, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1
KILLJOY1

Hk Questions

NEED SOME HELP UNDERSTANDING THE HK MP5. IS A 3 BURST SET UP THE SAME AS A FULL AUTO OR IS IT LIKE THE AR-15 WHERE THERE IS A WHOLE SEPRATE PACK FOR 3 SHOT TO FULL AUTO. IF I BOUGHT A 3 SHOT BURST MP5 COULD I GET A FUL AUTO TRIGGER PACK AND IT WORK AS A FULL AUTO OR WILL THE SEAR BE DIFFERENT?

SHAGGY I REALLY APPERICATE YOUR INPUT IN THE LAST THREAD I POSTED.
Old October 6, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2
shaggy

The burst pack and the full pack are two different things. Whether the pack will need modification depends on what type of MP5 you buy. If you get a transferable converted via a registered sear, the sear will have to be used in the new pack to remain legal (if it comes with a full pack, you'd have to buy a burst pack and have a competent HK smith re-work the pack to accept the registered sear and vice-versa - the new pack would have to be re-worked to accept the registered sear). If you buy a push-pin registered receiver MP5, you simply buy a new trigger pack (either full or burst, whatever you want) and install it.
Old October 6, 2005, 03:48 PM   #3
KILLJOY1

3 FREAKIN SEARS
WOW. NOW I SEE WHY THEY RANGE IN PRICE FROM 7000.00 TO 20,000.00
Old October 6, 2005, 04:03 PM   #4
shaggy

No, no, no...

I think you misunderstand...

There's really two types of sears - registered and unregistered. If its a registered sear, it is a machinegun all by itself. The sear is registered as a machinegun. Those types cost about $10-11,000. That type of sear is not a part you can buy from HK or get out of an HKparts kit. It is a specialy made and designed sear to work in a semi-auto HK type weapon - the trigger pack must be specially modified to work with this type of sear. Its a non-standard conversion.

The unregistered types are physically different and can only be used as replacement parts in original HK machineguns. That type is physically different from the registered type and designed to work only in an HK machinegun, not a semi-auto HK. These are cheap - like $20 or so, but are not machineguns and will not make your HK semi full auto. Additionally, because they are not registered, if you use one to convert an HK semi to full, you've committed a felony.

The big difference (in a nutshell) is that the registered sear is designed to work in a slightly modified trigger pack to fit in any semi-auto HK and legally convert it to full auto.
Old October 7, 2005, 09:53 AM   #5
KILLJOY1

NO,
I MENT THAT THERE IS THE 3 BURST SEAR, THE FULL AUTO, AND THEN THE PUSH PIN SEAR. I UNDER STAND REGISTERED AND JAIL TIME I JUST THOUGHT LIKE AN M-16 AUTO SEAR THEN THE 3 BURST PACKGIVES YOU A 4TH SELECTION, AND FROM WHAT I HEARD, AND MIGHT HAVE SEEN, THAT TO PUT IN A 3 BURST IN TO AN AR-15 REQUIRES LITTLE REWORK. SEE YOU CAN BUY A HK 3 BURST TRIGGER PACK AND FULL AUTO TRIGGER PACK, I JUST DIDNT KNOW IF THE SEAR THAT CAME WITH AN ORIGINAL 3 BURST GUN TRIGGER PACK WOULD INTERCHANGE AND WORK WITH THE FULL AUTO TRIGGER PACK. I AM DOING A LOT OF RESEARCH BEFORE I DROP THAT MUCH MONEY ON A GUN.
I GUESS U COULD SAY I'M LOOKING TO GET THE MOST BANG FOR MY BUCK.

I CASE BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING I DO NOT OWN AN SEMI HK LOOKING TO CONVERT. JUST WONDERING IF LEGAL MACHINE GUN PARTS WORK WITH OTHER LEGAL MACHINE GUN PARTS.
IN NO WAY AM I TRYING TO DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL
Old October 7, 2005, 10:18 AM   #6
CQBArms

Go here:

http://www.hkpro.com/hkconversions.htm
takes about an hour to read and maybe half a life time to REALLY understand

http://www.hkpro.com/trigs.htm
some nice pcitures and names for the different groups.

The short version and as Shaggy explained...

If you own a converted gun, depending on how it was converted would allow or limit your options for a burst pack.
Some packs can be rewored into a bust config, some can not.
Old October 7, 2005, 10:21 AM   #7
boofus

There are seperate trigger packs. Some are safe/semi/auto others are safe/semi/3burst/auto, safe/semi/2burst/auto, safe/semi/burst, or just safe/semi.

Purchasers specify which one they want when they buy from H&K.

There is no easy way to add parts to a safe/semi/auto trigger pack to give it 3rd burst. You have to get a new trigger pack with burst option built in.