The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2019, 04:08 PM   #1
NavyVet1959

Uberti Walker Cylinder Catch Problem

Symptoms:

If the barrel is pointed down or level, cocking the hammer will cause the cylinder to rotate, but if the barrel is pointed upwards, the cylinder will not rotate and in some cases, the hammer will not even go far enough back to fully cock the hammer.

Question:

Is there some sort of spring that puts pressure on the catch to move it forward so that it engages the notches on the rear of the cylinder?

I've examined the action and cannot see any pieces of percussion cap that might be jammed in it. I've sprayed some lithium grease into it, but that didn't make a difference either.
When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959
Old April 26, 2019, 05:24 PM   #2
noelf2

Yes. There is a spring on the hand that engages the ratchet on the cylinder. Called the hand spring, or pawl spring. They do break off of the hand, but can be fixed several ways.
Old April 26, 2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Centurion

Looks like the hand spring is broken. You can fix it easily in many ways...
Old April 26, 2019, 05:54 PM   #4
Hawg

Yep broken hand spring. You can make a new one out of a bobby pin but you have to be careful getting the old one out. Or you can buy a new hand with a spring but the hand will have to be fitted to the gun. Hands are not a drop in part.

Old April 26, 2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Hellgate

Isn't anyone going to tell this guy how to fix it? Well, here goes....I invite constructive criticism from more expert craftsmen.....additions and corrections welcomed. This is how I do it:
It is a bit of a trick getting the Walker apart due to its funny shaped mainspring. You will need padding for the grip frame and pliers or vise grips to compress the spring to get it off the gun. Remember how you did it (if it went smoothly and do the reverse when reassembling). Once you get the hammer out and remove the hand you have to be VERY careful to just barely pry the lips holding the spring. I use a sharp wood chisel to wedge the spring fragment out. Only spread the crimp far enough to get the fragment out and no more. If you crack it off you will need a complete replacement that will require fitting which is a PITA. I have managed to avoid it by just doing a spring replacement and using the original hands. You will need to cut the bobby pin and bend it to shape it like or nearly like the original but you need not be exact. I put a slight "waist" near the tip of the spring that inserts into the hand so when I stake it in it stays put. I don't get too excited if the spring wobbles a bit side to side just make sure it doesn't pull out after staking. I put the hand in a vise while replacing the spring so it is held firm for staking (with a cold chisel). Don't go nuts with the staking just crimp it enough to hold the spring in. I have replaced hand springs with parts of bobby pins on 4 or 5 revolvers and so far haven't had any of them rebreak. You may have to polish off any tooth marks left by the vise in the sides of the hand.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)

Last edited by Hellgate; April 26, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 27, 2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Isn't anyone going to tell this guy how to fix it? Well, here goes....I invite constructive criticism from more expert craftsmen..
I am far from an expert craftsman. I've only ever broken one spring and broke the hand trying to get the broke piece out.