The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2019, 06:07 PM   #1
PhotonGuy

Benelli M line

So I've been looking into the Benelli M line of semi automatic shotguns. What I've found is that the Benelli M2 and the Benelli M4 seem to be the most common with the Benelli M1 and the Benelli M3 being uncommon. I can see why the Benelli M1 might not be so common anymore since we've got the more advanced M models but what I don't get is why the Benelli M3 is so uncommon. From what I know the Benelli M3 can be switched between pump and auto while the M2 and M4 are strictly auto loaders without the option of going pump. The reason why you might sometimes want to switch to pump is because with less powerful shells the recoil might be inadequate to chamber the next round. That being the case I don't see why the M3 isn't more common.
Old March 13, 2019, 08:24 PM   #2
jmr40

The M2 is simply a newer version of the M1. I think the only difference is the stock. I bought a 1 year old M1 at a bargain price a few years back right after the M2 came out. Someone just had to have the newer version and sold the M1 right. I like it a lot. Enough that I sold several others that didn't get used anymore.

The M1 and M2 are hunting guns. The M3 and M4 tactical or military guns. My SWAG as to the lack of popularity is price, and usefulness. Shotguns have fallen from favor for both LE and military use. The only thing the military uses them for is as a breaching tool and a Mossberg or Remington pump does that every bit as good for a fraction of the money.

Winston Churchill
Old March 13, 2019, 08:25 PM   #3
Blindstitch

If you want a pump get a pump but if you pay Benelli prices for a semi it better function as a semi. That's just my opinion.
Old March 13, 2019, 08:41 PM   #4
LineStretcher

I have the M4 Super 90. It is auto regulating gas operated not recoil operated and it will run anything I put in it. Even the discount junk at the sales counters for range use runs without a hitch. I like mine a lot and it's easy to shoot. I used to have it as my home defense but have since switched to a S&W Governor loaded with .410 and 2 moon clips of .45LC at the ready.
Old March 13, 2019, 10:08 PM   #5
PhotonGuy

Quote:
The M1 and M2 are hunting guns. The M3 and M4 tactical or military guns. My SWAG as to the lack of popularity is price, and usefulness. Shotguns have fallen from favor for both LE and military use. The only thing the military uses them for is as a breaching tool and a Mossberg or Remington pump does that every bit as good for a fraction of the money.
They do make an M2 tactical version which has a pistol grip and I believe other tactical features.
I was under the impression that shotguns still are widely used by police. After the handgun I would think it would be the most commonly carried and used police firearm.
Old March 13, 2019, 10:09 PM   #6
PhotonGuy

Quote:
If you want a pump get a pump but if you pay Benelli prices for a semi it better function as a semi. That's just my opinion.
How about a Benelli that can function as both pump and semi auto?
Old March 14, 2019, 04:06 AM   #7
Blindstitch

On the Benelli site the M3 costs $1599 and you can get their pump version Super Nova Tactical for $519. Basically saving $1000 or You can invest in ammo the gun eats and not have a to use the pump function. Pretty sure the maybe pump maybe semi auto isn't easy for training. I would think anybody in the protection industry would want the simplicity of one gun that always functions the same and not a swiss army knife approach.