The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 13, 2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Mattj4867

CMP requirements

Hi all, I am looking at getting a Garand from cmp. I am baffled because their Marksmanship or other Firearm Activity requirements state that I must have completed an exercise that involved live fire. I completed a hunter safety course but we didn’t perform any live fire exercises. Is there any way that they would know that my hunter ed course didn’t have live fire? I consider myself very safe around guns and have been hunting for ten years. Thank you!
Old May 13, 2018, 10:07 PM   #2
mehavey

The requirements are clear, and I cannot imagine that CMP doesn't know which state-issued Hunter-Safety courses have live fire.

MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY:
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ch&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.
Old May 14, 2018, 04:31 AM   #3
kymasabe

There are local shoots called Appleseed Shoots that teach marksmanship, are fun and affordable. I attended one years ago, was worth every penny, had a blast. And, they do meet your CMP requirements.
www.appleseedinfo.org

Last edited by kymasabe; May 14, 2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old May 14, 2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Fishbed77

A state-issued CWP will also work.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:32 AM   #5
sarge83

"A state-issued CWP will also work."

What he said.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:43 AM   #6
gshayd

If you fit any of the criteria above call the folks at CMP and they will get you signed up so fast it will make your head spin. The folks there are helpful and courteous and treat you like family in the good way..lol.
Old May 14, 2018, 04:59 PM   #7
agtman

A membership number in the Garand Collectors Association (GCA) - for $25 per year - gets you into any CMP M1 you can afford, provided you can pass the standard NISCS background check.

From GCA's website:

Quote:
Why should I join GCA?

The main benefit of GCA membership is receiving the GCA Journal. Four issues per year are published * * * Also, the GCA is affiliated with the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). Membership in GCA fulfills one of CMP’s requirements to make a purchase.

Last edited by agtman; May 14, 2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 14, 2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Reloadron

agtman:
Quote:
A membership number in the Garand Collectors Association (GCA) - for $25 per year - gets you into any CMP M1 you can afford, provided you can pass the standard NISCS background check.
I don't believe that is quite how it works. Membership in the GCA (Garand Collectors Association) fulfill one of the CMP requirements which is the MEMBERSHIP IN CMP AFFILIATED ORGANIZATION requirement for purchase. The remaining requirements still need to be met. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP, PROOF OF AGE, MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY and BE LEGALLY ELIGIBLE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM.

They will waive the proof of marksmanship for people over 60 years of age. Anyway, my take is that GCA membership fulfills only the requirement of membership in a CMP affiliated organization and is a nice convenient way to meet that requirement. I may have that wrong but a call to the CMP would likely easily resolve it.

Ron
Old May 15, 2018, 12:51 AM   #9
konstan

My compliance checklist is

- GCA membership for the club requirement
- state issued conceal carry permit for the firearms activity
- alternatively, the Ffl 03 (c&r) license for the firearms activity

Hope this helps...
Old May 15, 2018, 02:11 AM   #10
Scorch

Most clubs/ranges I have belonged to have regularly scheduled CMP shoots that will also qualify you for buying a CMP firearm.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:00 AM   #11
agtman

Quote:
I don't believe that is quite how it works. Membership in the GCA (Garand Collectors Association) fulfill one of the CMP requirements which is the MEMBERSHIP IN CMP AFFILIATED ORGANIZATION requirement for purchase. The remaining requirements still need to be met. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP, PROOF OF AGE, MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY and BE LEGALLY ELIGIBLE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM.
You're correct. I should've added to a GCA membership the "marksmanship/firearms-related activity" requirement which having a State-CCW permit fulfills.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Mattj4867

Thank you for all of your replies. If I join the GCA, do I have to send them the certification form to sign to acknowledge that I’m in the club?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Reloadron

If you read The GCA Membership Form you may want to note the following option:
"I WOULD like my GCA membership confirmation released to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.
Initial here please: __________".
Additionally:
How the Garand Collectors Association
works with the
Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).
Membership in the GCA meets one of the qualifications
set forth by the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) to
purchase weapons and ammunition from them.
Each week a complete and current electronic copy of the
GCA membership data set is forwarded to CMP. CMP can
verifiy your membership this way. You’ll also receive a
wallet-size Membership Card when you join GCA that
contains your membership number and it can be used as
proof of membership.
We are presently the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s
largest affiliated club. Membership in the GCA allows you
to purchase M1 rifles direct from the CMP.

Ron
Old May 20, 2018, 02:16 PM   #14
HankC1

M1 Collector Club is $14/yr
http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/
I use my C&R to qualify. C&R is $10/yr ($30/3 yrs).
Old May 21, 2018, 11:52 AM   #15
T. O'Heir

You should do the shoots anyway. You'll meet some of the best people you will ever meet and they will bend over backwards to help a new shooter. Including letting you shoot their rifles using their ammo. And match shooting is a great deal of fun.
Oh and hunting is not the same thing as target shooting.