The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 13, 2018, 12:08 AM   #1
Astocks2622

Plug for shockwave blade

I have a 300 Blackout AR pistol with a KAK Shockwave Blade on it. I like how it's set up, and have begin toting it around in the truck in one of the UTG discreet(ish) rifle bags. I really like how the bag works and how the gun rides in it, but have noticed one issue.
The zipper catches on the open rear of the Blade stabilizer almost every time I practice deploying the pistol quickly. Usually one extra tug on the quick pull tab frees it up, but it's not consistent.
Does anyone know of an off the shelf option to plug the rear of the Blade (or any other collapsible stock) so it's fairly flush and snag-free?
I measured it, and the opening is almost exactly 1 1/4" diameter. Maybe a sheet metal plug or 1" ID PVC cap sanded down to fit? Any other ideas?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old May 13, 2018, 04:08 AM   #2
gshayd

The best bag is a Tennis racket bag. Went to a sporting goods store and purchased one. Fits just right. Tennis Anyone? I personally would leave that hole alone on the Shockwave. There was a product developed to do just that. It has not been approved by the ATF. The Shockwave has been approved as is by the ATF. As a retired gubmint man agencies can get anal retentive about things. They could say you made an unapproved modification to the stock. You might come out good in the end but your pocketbook could be lighter and you could have some sleepless nights. No, the government isn't here to help you.

for your reading pleasure.

This company also refunded the money of all who had purchased the product.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...BP+5-22-17.pdf

Last edited by gshayd; May 13, 2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:29 AM   #3
imashooter

Though any modification to the brace is currently illegal when having a barrel length of less than 16", my understanding is these are very nice. Oops, same deal.

https://www.ic13arms.com/shop/sbp-blade-protector
Old May 13, 2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Astocks2622

Yeah, the case I use looks more or less like a racket case.
I can see why those two plates were not approved for "pistols". They clearly are intended to be used as a butt pad.
All i want is to plug the hole so the zipper doesn't snag. I wouldn't modify the sharp edges of the stabilizer in any way, so I wouldn't be fabricating a butt stock. 611M+iJZfML._SY741_.jpeg

Old May 14, 2018, 02:08 PM   #5
imashooter

Regardless of intent, any mod is be it a butt plug, filing, etc is illegal. If caught, about like the odds of being hit by lightning, punishment is the same regardless of which way you go. I say screw 'em. Pull the inside diameter and go to ebay or wherever and see what's available in rubber or plastic plugs. Or you could make one out of black silicone. You could go ugly or nice.
Old May 14, 2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Fishbed77

The text on this product's website says it all:

"Legal for use on rifles. All NFA rules apply. "

Your <16" barreled pistol with a brace is not a rifle (unless you SBR it). It's a pistol.

This is a product for idiots.
Old May 14, 2018, 05:08 PM   #7
imashooter

Why is it a product for idiots?
Old May 14, 2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Quote:
Why is it a product for idiots?
If you have a rifle...why not put on a real stock?
If you have a pistol...this is not legal to install

When would you actually use this?
Old May 15, 2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:

This. ^

It is a product for idiots (or at least the very ignorant who become felons when they install one on their non-SBR'd braced pistols).
Old May 15, 2018, 09:37 AM   #10
Astocks2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post

I agree, why would you put an effictively non adjustable Blade on a rifle? I have no intention of copying those products.
But help me out here.
Where does the law say that any modification to an approved pistol device constitutes an illegal act?
My understanding was that any modification to make shouldering the weapon easier/ more comfortable was the issue. I get how putting padding on the rear of a brace, or, heaven forbid, a plate to spread recoil forces would be illegal, and considered manufacturing an unregistered sbr.
How am I manufacturing a sbr by plugging a hole?

Old May 15, 2018, 10:30 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
Where does the law say that any modification to an approved pistol device constitutes an illegal act?
You need to read the ATF determination letters regarding the Sig Brace, Shockwave blades, etc.

While these letters are not law (they are determinations based on existing law) they pretty much unanimously indicate that modifications to these devices can constitute the construction of an SBR that requires a tax stamp.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:20 PM   #12
Sharkbite

Quote:
You need to read the ATF determination letters regarding the Sig Brace, Shockwave blades, etc.
Exactly. One of those letters goes so far as to say removing the straps on the Sig brace constitutes an intent to modify and becomes an SBR.

People need to be VERY careful with these products. How they are used and how and if they are modified.
Old May 15, 2018, 01:23 PM   #13
RC20

And I thought it was a Hurah (ala PLUG) for a product.

Phew, I am glad that is taken care of. Now back to your regular channel.
Old May 15, 2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashooter
Regardless of intent, any mod is be it a butt plug, filing, etc is illegal.
No, it’s not automatically illegal. There is no federal law or regulation that says it’s illegal. And I’m pretty sure there’s no case law regarding this specific situation either. That said, if you modify the item in a such a way that a court determined that it had been redesigned to be used as a shoulder stock, then that would be illegal.

So yeah, it’s a really bad idea to modify these products. I could easily see a court deciding that the OP’s plug was actually used to make his pistol easier to shoulder, and therefore his brace was now redesigned to be a stock.

But the only way to know for sure if a specific modification is illegal or not is to do it and see what a court says about it. Me, I’d rather not be a test case.

Last edited by Theohazard; May 15, 2018 at 02:13 PM.