The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2019, 11:25 AM   #1
Wyoredman

Browning Citori 725 Field LOPAdjustment

Good Morning! I purchased a new Browning Citori 725 Field grade in August of this year for upland bird hunting. I have used it for Sage Grouse, Ruffed Grouse, Chucker and Pheasant this season.

I love the gun, but one thing has got me puzzled. Every once in awhile, the trigger guard will smack my middle finger pretty hard at the shot. I am a pretty experienced bird hunter who has used several different guns in my lifetime and this is the first gun to smack my finger!

I suspect that the Length of Pull (LOP) is short for me. I am 6'4" with pretty long arms and fingers. Browning specs the LOP for this gun at 14 3/4".

I have looked online for a recoil pad spacer for the 725 Field, but cant seem to locate one.

DO any of you Smiths out there have any suggestions? Do any of you shot-gunners have advice to keep me from smacking my finger on the trigger guard? As I've said, this is the first gun I have owned that does it.

THanks a million in advance.
Old December 17, 2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Scorch

You could put a thicker recoil pad on it or recoil pad spacers. I don't like the look of the spacers, but they fill a need. You can also buy recoil pads up to 1-3/8" thick.

You might also focus on keeping a firm grip on the pistol grip when firing, and make sure you are pulling the gun into your shoulder when firing it.
Old January 7, 2020, 10:03 AM   #3
drmajor

Citori

My son’s Citori kicked like mule.
He had the forcing cones lengthened and a better butt pad. Don’t remember pads maker, want to say Sorbothane.

The combo made the gun Pleasent to shoot.

On my Beretta 391, I had an adjustable butt put on. LOP can be changed by 1.5” and the cant also changed. My LOP is 15”.
Old January 7, 2020, 08:48 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

What is your length of pull? I know you're 6'4", but do you have the arms of someone who is 6'8"?

Second, suggest if it's too short, to get spacers installed. It's cheaper than having a custom stock made.

Reaming out the forcing cone does smoothen the recoil, but that's more expensive than putting in a spacer (methinks).
Old January 7, 2020, 10:54 PM   #5
pete2

I think the 725 has long forcing cones as well as an oversize bore. The only shotguns that have kicked my middle finger were double trigger guns. I get a thumb in my nose with a short stock. To test it try a leather slip on pad. 1100 Rem stocks are all to short for me but the leather pad worked so well it's still on the gun along with a 1/8" thick pad on the comb. Not the prettiest gun in my safe but it do work for me. Note: with the double trigger guns it was always the front trigger when it bumped me, never the rear one.
Old January 8, 2020, 08:59 PM   #6
drmajor

This is what’s on my Beretta. Really great...
https://graco-corp.com/product-categ...le-butt-plate/
Old January 9, 2020, 11:43 AM   #7
Pahoo

Check You-Tube

Awhile back, I bought a SXS and knew that the length of pull, was too long and I wanted to install a butd-pad as well. Did some research and determined that I was not informed ion the "Finer" points of fitting a shotgun. I thought it was pretty cut and dry and it's not. ……

One of resources was You-Tube where I found some useful information. Might I suggest you look at the videos in You-Tube. I will let them speak for themselves. In my case, I had to shorten the stock. The results were good, points well and wound up with a nice chunk of hardwood. …..

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 9, 2020, 01:54 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Post is kind of elderly, however, you need to figure out what LOP you need. As daft as it sounds, shouldering a yard stick like you would a rifle/shotgun and looking where your finger comes will tell you that. So will putting the yard stick in your elbow and looking where your finger comes.
It'd probably be best to buy a custom butt stock. A slip on recoil pad will add about an inch. You can buy spacers and grind 'em(best done with a bench mounted belt sander) here. https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/spacers/
A sheet of plexiglass, while it'd be homely on a high end shotgun, will work too. Regular woodworking tools with blades for plastics.
"...too long..." Easier to fix 'too long' than it is excessively 'too short'.
Old February 20, 2020, 02:51 PM   #9
Wyoredman

Hello Fellows, Sorry I am so tardy on getting back to this thread. Life intervened.
Anyhow, T.O'Heir suggested measuring from the crook of my elbow to the first joint of my trigger finger. 16 7/8"! Browning lists the LOP for the 725 Field at 14 1/4". If I am measuring correctly (I did look other places on the web and found the same instructions), it appears that my personal LOP is 2 1/2"+ longer than my shotgun! WOW!

I don't think I can add 2 1/2"! What should I do?
Old February 20, 2020, 03:05 PM   #10
KEYBEAR

2.1/2 inches is a mile on a stock . Over the years I have stock work done on a lot of guns
Go to this wed site trapshooters.com you will Find a bunch of people happy to help you .
Way more to it when has been said you need to ask people that shoot a lot .
Old March 3, 2020, 12:31 PM   #11
SGW Gunsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoredman View Post
Good Morning! I purchased a new Browning Citori 725 Field grade in August of this year for upland bird hunting. I have used it for Sage Grouse, Ruffed Grouse, Chucker and Pheasant this season.

I love the gun, but one thing has got me puzzled. Every once in awhile, the trigger guard will smack my middle finger pretty hard at the shot. I am a pretty experienced bird hunter who has used several different guns in my lifetime and this is the first gun to smack my finger!

I suspect that the Length of Pull (LOP) is short for me. I am 6'4" with pretty long arms and fingers. Browning specs the LOP for this gun at 14 3/4".

I have looked online for a recoil pad spacer for the 725 Field, but cant seem to locate one.

DO any of you Smiths out there have any suggestions? Do any of you shot-gunners have advice to keep me from smacking my finger on the trigger guard? As I've said, this is the first gun I have owned that does it.

THanks a million in advance.
I can see where your arm length is most likely the issue. If you do decide to go with spacers between butt-stock and pad, it's gonna look sorta weird.
What I would suggest is to try a slip-on pad, right over what you have now, if only to see if the finger-smacking quits. If that added LOP does do the trick, then you might consider having something more permanent done.
Old March 3, 2020, 03:54 PM   #12
FITASC

Buy a spacer and either grind it to fit or have your smith do it. Realize that you will be changing the toe, cast and pitch on the stock.

You can also buy a little rubber bumper that goes on the back of the trigger guard; many folks who shoot SxS with double triggers get the mashed knuckle.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa