The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 7, 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
steve4102

New York Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York

Headed to the Supreme Court.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...18%20FINAL.PDF

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files...york-new-york/

The complaint has to do with the City of New York’s law that prevents gun owners from transporting licensed, locked and unloaded firearms outside the city.

Think this will be the case we have been waiting for the SC to hear?
Old December 7, 2018, 11:12 AM   #2
natman

It's certainly a case the Supreme Court ought to hear.

It's nothing more than Jim Crow laws for the 21st century.
Old December 7, 2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Where dies the link say it's headed for the Supreme Court? The petitioners have submitted it, yes, but certioari has not been granted. It can still be turned down.
Old December 7, 2018, 08:26 PM   #4
Rachen

Quote:
This is ridiculous, little by little they are squeezing the neck out of our freedom, i don't live in NY but people who do have to protect themselves.
From historical knowledge, the chief mechanism in which freedoms can be eroded is by the government declaring national emergencies and how weapons must be taken away for "your own good". From the medieval Catholic Church to Cambodia's Pol Pot, this is the one tool that the ruling powers have used to strangle their subjects into total submission.

Declare a bogeyman. Whether it be heretics, or criminals or juvie gangs. And then raise such a scare that the public will believe anything that will "help" them. And that is how rights are taken away.

As someone from New York, I hope these cases go through and win. Even minor victories are still victories and they will pave the road for more actions in the future. The Sullivan Act was passed with the intent of keeping street gangs and organized crime syndicates from getting guns, but that was all horse manure. It specifically targeted low income New Yorkers possibly from immigrant backgrounds. Mainly Italians. The New York political machine and vice industries of the early 1900's had long been dominated by the Irish Mob, who had used force to overturn Anglo-German control of the rackets in the middle of the 19th century. When a large influx of Italians and Chinese arrived in the port of New York in the 1900's, bringing with them their own powerful underworlds, these old generation guys were scared to death. Tammany Hall was one of the backers of the bill, as they were afraid that a new generation of armed social interest groups in the city would create another "Gangs of New York" scene and usurp their powerbase, as how the Tammany mobsters originally usurped Captain Isiah Rynders back in the 1840s. It is an archaic, useless and highly unconstitutional piece of legislation that should have been removed when the Heller case in DC had passed.
Old December 7, 2018, 09:09 PM   #5
steve4102

Quote:
Where dies the link say it's headed for the Supreme Court? The petitioners have submitted it, yes, but certioari has not been granted. It can still be turned down.
The SC can't turn it down until it gets there, right?
Old December 8, 2018, 06:48 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

To clarify: The docket at this juncture shows that a petition for writ of cert has been filed and distributed for conference, but it has neither been granted nor denied.
Old December 8, 2018, 07:09 AM   #7
Bowdog

Another reason to leave NY. I did, moved to the free state of Tennessee.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:15 AM   #8
AirForceShooter

I doubt if SCOTUS will hear it.

Where's the constitutional issue?

AFS
Old December 8, 2018, 11:07 AM   #9
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
I doubt if SCOTUS will hear it.

Where's the constitutional issue?

AFS
Conflict with Second Amendment in general and a specific conflict with the "safe passage" section of the Firearms Protection Act, for starters.
Old January 22, 2019, 10:24 AM   #10
KyJim

The Supreme Court granted certiorari this morning in this case. The order granted it without modifying the issue presented. The order can be found here on page 13.

The issue, as stated by Petitioners is:
Quote:
Whether the City’s ban on transporting a licensed, locked, and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the Commerce Clause, and the constitutional right to travel.
The petition can be found at: https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...18%20FINAL.pdf.

This is finally a chance for the Supreme Court to weigh in on the scope of the Second Amendment outside the home and, possibly, the standard of review and its application.
Old January 22, 2019, 11:04 AM   #11
ammo.crafter

NYC NYS

Perhaps the ACLU will take up this issue....oh, I forgot, they only defend THEIR issues.

Usually, NYC does not allow guns into their city...more here then meets the eye.
Old January 22, 2019, 11:35 AM   #12
Armed_Chicagoan

My concern is that that an opinion, even in our favor, would legitimize the draconian NYC licensing process. Is that a legitimate concern, or just my paranoia?
Old January 22, 2019, 11:43 AM   #13
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Chicagoan View Post
My concern is that that an opinion, even in our favor, would legitimize the draconian NYC licensing process. Is that a legitimate concern, or just my paranoia?
Depends on the opinion. Best to wait for the ruling and comment on it rather than speculating in a vacuum.
Old January 22, 2019, 04:01 PM   #14
KyJim

Since the issue is not the validity of licensing, it would be very unlikely that a favorable ruling would address licensing directly. That doesn't mean a lower court could not seize upon some imprecise language or hypothetical and construe it as legitimizing licensing, no matter how strict. An unfavorable ruling would likely have significant adverse impact on gun rights in a variety of ways, IMO.

But, as natman said, it's maybe best to hold off on the speculation.
Old January 22, 2019, 04:40 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

I find it fairly telling that NYC fights so hard to keep anyone but law enforcement from owning a gun, then prohibits those that succeed in clearing the licensing hurdles from taking their firearms out of the city.
Old January 22, 2019, 05:03 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
would legitimize the draconian NYC licensing process. ..
At one time, the high court upheld slavery. They have been wrong other times, as well.

The court will be looking at a very specific set of questions, and I fully expect a very specific ruling on them. After which, the anti-gun world will go on doing what ever the hell they feel like, and can get away with, same as before...

And, the High Court will NOT stop this, until/unless another case is brought to them, specific to it, and they both hear it, and rule in what we would consider our favor.

Simply put, the people who believe gun control, up to and including prohibition, is right, just, and a proper role of government will keep on doing what they do, until a court they recognize having jurisdiction tells them specifically, personally, individually, in small words, to stop doing it.

and even then, they might not...

This is the established historical pattern. If you expect a "sea change" in the state of gun control from this case, I think you are ...unrealistically hopeful.
Old January 22, 2019, 05:35 PM   #17
MagnumWill

Well, they're hearing it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PG1QQ
Old January 22, 2019, 07:01 PM   #18
raimius

Quote:
Whether the City’s ban on transporting a licensed, locked, and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the Commerce Clause, and the constitutional right to travel.
This is a quite narrow question. I think, at least until a standard of scrutiny is established, and a clear method of testing developed at the SCOTUS level, keeping questions narrow and focusing on only the most restrictive laws is probably the best chance we have at winning cases. Winning cases and establishing a clear line of advance is likely our best strategy for protecting our rights.

Hopefully, we get a solid win on this. If we don't, it could be REALLY bad news.
Old January 23, 2019, 11:04 AM   #19
rebs

one question, why is our own government so bent on gun control and disarming the law abiding citizen ?
Old January 23, 2019, 11:08 AM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's focus on this case and not go off on general philosophical discussions.

Here's a piece on the issue from a pessimistic antigun view:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ity-ny/581017/

Guns on the street! I guess they missed the 45 or so shall issue states.
Old January 23, 2019, 11:46 AM   #21
TomNJVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
The Supreme Court granted certiorari this morning in this case. The order granted it without modifying the issue presented.
In spite of the potential dangers, this is the best news I have heard in a long time! The petition lays out a very strong argument, and given the current SCOTUS balance I feel they would not have granted certiorari if they did not believe the NY law was a flagrant abuse of Heller. Hopefully they will require strict scrutiny in the future for this clear constitutional right.
Old January 24, 2019, 06:08 AM   #22
publius42

Quote:
Perhaps the ACLU will take up this issue....oh, I forgot, they only defend THEIR issues.
I don't know if they have spoken on this issue but that characterization is unfair.

The ACLU has opposed using the secret "no fly" list as a "no buy" list for guns.

https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-let...t-4814-hr-2578

They opposed taking away gun rights based on Social Security Disability status.

https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-vot...aces-eo-senate

And here's the ACLU amicus brief supporting the NRA against Cuomo.

https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/...u-amicus-brief
Old January 24, 2019, 10:08 AM   #23
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by publius42 View Post
I don't know if they have spoken on this issue but that characterization is unfair.

The ACLU has opposed using the secret "no fly" list as a "no buy" list for guns.

https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-let...t-4814-hr-2578

They opposed taking away gun rights based on Social Security Disability status.

https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-vot...aces-eo-senate

And here's the ACLU amicus brief supporting the NRA against Cuomo.

https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/...u-amicus-brief
Usually the ACLU won't touch a straight 2nd Amendment case. However, if the case involves the parts of the constitution they DO support, they will help. They are very much opposed to secret lists, financial extortion to silence free speech and group suspension of constitutional rights, and rightly so.
Old January 24, 2019, 12:29 PM   #24
sigarms228

Graet news and just a few months after Brett Kavanaugh become Justice at SCOTUS.
Old January 24, 2019, 02:58 PM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

Let's avoid a general ACLU discussion and stick to the case at hand, please.