The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2020, 02:58 PM   #26
hounddawg

whichever primer size you end up going with make the last step in the load tuning primer testing. Seems certain cartridge/powder combos prefer certain primers. My 6.0 creedmoor loves Remingtons with H4350, none of my other loads can stand Remingtons, go figure
Old February 13, 2020, 03:29 PM   #27
AgedWarrior

Just a thought, but my Savage 10 FCP loves H4350 with 140 grain bullets. Shoots one jagged hole groups. I have always used large primer brass, both Hornady and Starline. Never any problems or reason to try small primer for me, it works great as is.
Old February 13, 2020, 03:40 PM   #28
hooligan1

Ocharry, you can purchase straight from Starline if you need.
Old February 13, 2020, 10:22 PM   #29
ocharry

Hooligan....yeah I have done that before...for now I do have 50 new Nosler cases to get me going.....but I am planning on getting another 50 and I will prolly get star line just for a back up....but this Nosler stuff looks pretty good

But for now I'm still waiting on the rifle to get here....maybe tomorrow... Its way to cold to play with it any how....got 5" of snow yesterday and the high today was 8*

I could shoot out the shop door... And I do...but that cold air coming in ain't no fun even if it is warm in the shop...but with the door open it dont take long to cool off

But gona be in the 40s by the week end they say...lol

Ocharry
Old February 14, 2020, 07:11 AM   #30
hooligan1

ocharry, same here 3 degrees this morning, have to go to range Sunday to test my 7 mauser.
When you gwt some fired brass, do a water weight test to see what actual capacity of the different brass is.
Old February 14, 2020, 08:33 AM   #31
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
the theory is that a SRP allows higher pressures,
Never heard of this. How much more and please explain why.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 14, 2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old February 14, 2020, 01:14 PM   #32
hounddawg

Quote:
Never heard of this. How much more and please explain why
less chance of the primer leaking gas, use magnum primers with .025 thick cups

might call Peterson brass if you want specifics

Quote:

NOTE: If you plan to load above SAAMI max pressure and are concerned about primer-pocket leak, Peterson recommends you try their .260 Remington SRP. While they do not suggest loading over SAAMI max pressures, Peterson's small primer pocket .260 Remington SRP have proven to hold up over SAAMI max pressures when tested in their universal receiver.
https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/76515

Last edited by hounddawg; February 14, 2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old February 15, 2020, 06:06 PM   #33
mel80

im not sure whats going on in my case but i went back to lrp brass

42.2g of r-17 and was seeing 3050 fps with nosler comp 123g bullets no issues and i can load as hot as 43g
41.4g of r17 witht he same bullet but starline srp brass was poping primers here and there and only going 2825 fps

46g of r-17 with a speer tnt 90g bullet ontop was going 3415 out of the lrp brass today
46g of the same powder and bullet was going 3300 out of the starline srp brass but no issues

im just going to keep the 100 piieces of the starline i have for my 90g varmint loads and ill stick witht he lrp stuff for all my target/lr loads
Old February 15, 2020, 07:58 PM   #34
kilotanker22

I have talked to a few friends that use SRP brass. They have had some problems piercing primers. Mostly Remington and Federal primers. Same loads and guns, but no piercing with LRP brass.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2020, 08:31 PM   #35
ocharry

I did get some star line brass from midsouth today....they had 100 lrp for $46 I think it was...got a few other things too...

I was watching a YouTube video about this stuff...and the guy was doing load work with small and large primers....some of the small primer loads were hang firing....now the temp was in the 20s....some of them didn't even go off....seems he was having best luck with Remington 7 1\2 and CCI ar (think that was the one)small primers and it looked like case volume had some effect too...and temp...seemed the colder it got the worse it was...but those problems didn't show up with large primers

He opened some up and the powder had turned brown...just didn't light off....was a pretty good video...he was using several different powders too

Was pretty good videos I thought..( he had several )...that's why I had to ask you guys

I just want the shells to go off when I pull the trigger...so for now all the brass I will have is gonna be large rifle primers....like Reynolds said why would this cartridge be any different than any other....great point...for me....I dont plan on doing any competition shooting with this rifle ( for now anyway) and for sure no over pressure loads

But hey I dont even have the rifle yet....poop.......but I am still reading and following all the comments from you guys

Ocharry
Old February 15, 2020, 10:43 PM   #36
hounddawg

Quote:
I have talked to a few friends that use SRP brass. They have had some problems piercing primers. Mostly Remington and Federal primers. Same loads and guns, but no piercing with LRP brass.
LRP cup thickness is .027, if you switch to SRP you need to use one of the primers with .025 cups.

From this article

https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...sure-analysis/

Quote:
– Cases that utilize small rifle primers and operate at moderate pressures (40,000 psi) can use CCI 400, Federal 200, Rem 6 1/2, or Win SR. Such cases include 22 CCM, 22 Hornet and the 218 Bee. Other cases that use the small rifle primer can use the above primers only if moderate loads are used. Keep to the lower end of reloading recommendations.

– Cases that utilize small rifle primers and operate at higher pressures (55,000 psi) should use CCI 450, CCI BR4, Fed 205 and Rem 7 1/2.

– All the large rifle primers measured have the same thickness. Therefore choose based on other factors, such as accuracy, low ES/SD, cost, cup hardness, and uniformity.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:43 PM   #37
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
I did get some star line brass from midsouth today....they had 100 lrp for $46 I think it was...got a few other things too...

I was watching a YouTube video about this stuff...and the guy was doing load work with small and large primers....some of the small primer loads were hang firing....now the temp was in the 20s....some of them didn't even go off....seems he was having best luck with Remington 7 1\2 and CCI ar (think that was the one)small primers and it looked like case volume had some effect too...and temp...seemed the colder it got the worse it was...but those problems didn't show up with large primers

He opened some up and the powder had turned brown...just didn't light off....was a pretty good video...he was using several different powders too

Was pretty good videos I thought..( he had several )...that's why I had to ask you guys

I just want the shells to go off when I pull the trigger...so for now all the brass I will have is gonna be large rifle primers....like Reynolds said why would this cartridge be any different than any other....great point...for me....I dont plan on doing any competition shooting with this rifle ( for now anyway) and for sure no over pressure loads

But hey I dont even have the rifle yet....poop.......but I am still reading and following all the comments from you guys

Ocharry
The 7 1/2 is very hot. It is all I will use in 450 Bushmaster.
Old February 16, 2020, 01:54 AM   #38
ocharry

Guys....i want to correct something i posted earlier...

I went back and watched one of the hang fire videos again....the small primers he had the least trouble with was the Remington 7 1\2 and CCI 41....not CCI ar....my bad...I guess the 41 was designed for the military 556 round...I'm guessing it is hot....like the 7 1\2 ???? As Reynolds has attested to

If you guy are interested in watching any of these....I typed in 6.5 creedmoor hang fire.....and Johnny's reloading bench came up....they are pretty interesting

Ocharry
Old February 16, 2020, 04:29 PM   #39
Unclenick
Staff

If you call CCI, they will tell you the #41 is identical to their CCI 450, their small rifle magnum primer, except that the feet of the anvil are shorter and splayed out further to reduce sensitivity to meet military sensitivity specs for floating firing pin guns. But otherwise, it is just a civilian primer. Actual military primers are made without nickel plating on the cups and they are qualified by fairly extensive testing of large samples from each production lot in all manner of temperature conditions and to meet functional reliability standards in addition to the sensitivity tests. The average shooter wouldn't want to pay what it would cost to put consumer primers through the military level of qualification.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle