The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Rkerry

80% AR 10 Recommendations

I've recently read about building ARs using an 80%-finished lower. I am considering building an AR 10 this way, but I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has tried it already and might have some advice for me, including an assessment of difficulty and any recommendations about the best source and material for the lower (polymer vs. aluminum, etc.). Saving money is always nice, but getting it right and keeping it serviceable for many years is far more important to me.

I have a large drill press, tables vices, dremmel and other rotary tools, but not an actual milling machine.

I appreciate any advice out there. And if I'm not in the right forum for this question, please redirect me.

Thank you!
Old January 29, 2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Roughedge

You really need a mill to do it right, it also helps to have a jig that Brownells sells. Most of the time you spend more trying to finish a 80% than you would buying one ready to go. I've done a few ar-15's and even with a mill it takes a little time.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Coach Z

Check out tactical machining. They sell 80% lowers for ar 15 ar 10 and 10/22 as well as all the jigs. They also have a forum with lots of help and advice
Old January 31, 2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Ritz

I've been experimenting with a polymer 80% lower from James Madison Tactical. I'm using a fairly stout drill press with a high torque motor and a "milling" 2-axis cross slide vice. I got pretty good results. That approach might be a challenge with harder material, though 7075 T6 aluminum is one of the easier metals to mill. It would probably work with a decent jig and some patience.

Grizzly makes a relatively inexpensive mini-mill that ought to be perfect for such things. If I didn't already own my drill press, I'd probably have sprung for one of these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...-Machine/G8689

Best,