The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 12, 2006, 02:26 PM   #1
James K
Member In Memoriam

Au-Ver

I just got the 2007 Gun Digest, and there are several pages on a concept (that is all it is) for a new gun design combining (you guessed it) the frame of an auto pistol and the cylinder of a revolver. The designer calls it the "Au-Ver" a combination of the words "AUtomatic" and "revolVER." Nicely colored pictures, but another non-solution to a non-problem.

The design is very complex. Apparently there are two "models" (i.e., concepts - apparently no models have actually been made outside a CAD program). One uses a spring which is wound up to turn the cylinder, the other a conventional hand. Cocking the SA hammer and other functioning comes from a short (1" or so) slide at the back, driven by a gas piston. There is no provision for reloading the cylinder in place. A fired cylinder is ejected, like a magazine, and replaced by another. Cylinders appear to be bulky, and both larger and heavier than magazines, while containing fewer rounds.

Off hand, I can't imagine anyone actually putting real money into producing such a monstrosity, but then the Dardick gun made it to limited production. My opinion is that the designer needs to get a real job.

The big mystery to me is why the editors of Gun Digest thought the idea was worth a significant chunk of the book. Or maybe they figured it would start discussion and sell books. In that, they have likely succeeded, as this post shows.

Jim
Old November 12, 2006, 03:30 PM   #2
mgdavis

This sound like a Mateba. Is that accurate, or is this a different concept?
Old November 12, 2006, 06:03 PM   #3
johnbt

au ver

Isn't that something like "with the worm" in French?

I need to see this gun.

John
Old November 12, 2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Scorch

Seems to me that if they really wanted to make an automatic revolver, it's already been done. It's called a Webley-Fosbery, it was designed in 1897.

http://www.thegunzone.com/webley-fosbery.html

Next!
Old November 12, 2006, 07:52 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, it is not a Mateba and it is not a Webley-Fosbery. It is really different, and doesn't seem to offer any advantages at all over conventional handguns.

I can't describe it adequately, and photographing the pictures would be a copyright violation. If you are interested, buy the book; it is always worthwhile to have the latest GD.

Jim
Old November 12, 2006, 09:32 PM   #6
mgdavis

I meant to ask if it was similar in concept to the Mateba. Then I went and looked at pictures of the Mateba and realised that it does not have the short section of slide at the back. I'll have to go find a copy of the book, just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old November 28, 2006, 10:57 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...it's already been done..." Several times. One of the Russian Nagant revolvers was a 'semi-auto' too. Late 19th Century, as I recall.
"...sell books..." It's like satellite tv. Lots of space to fill.